Things you need to work on as a drummer?

Christopher

Reaction score
Single handed 16th note grooves. Ala Jeff. Think Georgy Porgy. Getting them smooth and solid. That and left foot clave.

You stop learning, you start dying.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I have good time, but always trying to make it great so when I do get a chance to practice which isn't often I normally turn the click on and play either with or without one of the backing tracks on my Yamaha DTX electronic kit. I took the double pedal off recently think I'm done with it lol I just don't have the time to devote to it and will more than likely never need it with what I play.

Solos eh not my thing but I do want to work up some breaks... I get one in one band that is a shuffle at 120 bpm which is just slow but found a cool solo by Billy Ward
that has helped (I can't play like BIlly of course)

The other band I get a break sometimes on a fast jump blues swing number and that one I can pull off a pretty nice Krupa style solo but need to work something out so that it's more than just improvised.

Rest is just keep working on posture, hands and feet, load in and out and set up to make sure I can keep doing this for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:

mebeatee

Reaction score
Everything...because the more I know...the more I realize I don't know.
It's exponential and relative.....as stated before the moment you stop learning and working on things it's game over.
bt

dale w miller

Reaction score
DrumWhipper said:
Still working out of "Stick control" book after over 45 yrs. of playing
It's a lifelong endeavor.......
So true about it being a lifelong endeavor. I see guys occasionally say they have no reason to practice. I've been playing for 30 of my 38 years of life on this earth, and I am constantly finding things I can improve on.
I do too, but I also know when I have no hope of accomplishing it. As an example, no matter how much and simply how I practice, I can only play so fast.

Ringofanatic1940

Reaction score
Limb independence, especially when it comes to polyrhythms. One of the most interesting lessons Ive discovered recently was a drummer demonstrating a latin groove with his left foot stomping on the hats while maintaining four on the floor.
Not sure when Ill need to use it but its fun and new territory for me

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I'm almost 72, with less gigs, and arthritis in my hands, I find it more important than ever to do warm ups daily just to keep what I have got.
Gotta be real drums and cymbals, what I'm playing on the gigs, not pads or e-cyms.
If I don't, hand cramps on the gig.
If anyone has hand pain or arthritis, I highly recommend the procedure known as Cupping, it has gotten rid of pain and stiffness for me.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I need to work on working on things..I gig fairly regularly, so I rarely sit down at the kit at home any more..I used to like it, but between the time I put in at work and the late dinners, I just don't feel like it..lord knows I need it..

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Learning to do proper drum rolls; I thought with age (54), I would be more patient learning this ,,,not so :happy11:
I never learned this when I was 15-20 so the hands don't coordinate as well with age....

Latest posts