Think you can tell?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Insinuation here is does Money mean anything in a snare drum well it doesn't include classic snares- which go for money too- from the 40s 50s and 60s Classics.

So in this instance it can be presented as a draw but..If you add in bigger monied 40s 50s and 60s (especially wood) drums..it flips the money quotient.

And then the question too, does the style need character; how much character; how much character is needed in a certain style. Some don't need any and only need an even sounding crack, then there's "other's".. Especially acoustic leaning music (intense or not) where tone character could count

Last edited:

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
To be clear, this is not the Phosphor Bronze 5mm 24 lb monster. It’s their regular thin bronze shell.
Correct! It's the 1mm bronze. It's the cheaper one out of the 2. It's still heavy as heck though and honestly I've heard them both and can't seem to distinguish an $860 more premium for the other one. Now, if I would have gotten the phosphorus one for $440, I would have jumped for joy, Lol!!
But $440 was still a great deal for mine so I can't complain. And it's got the look factor as well, it's an asthetically beautiful snare.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The difference was obvious at the first tuning. After hearing the second tuning, I dismissed the guy as a joke and stopped watching. Did I miss anything?
The 1st i think is pretty obvious, but not $1100 obvious. The next are difficult.
I got them all right. The Reference had more tone and clarity to my ears.
Did you guess, or could you tell?
I honestly couldn't, so i didn't feel too bad as the 2 pros got em wrong. Again, i didn't listen with headphones.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
The 1st i think is pretty obvious, but not $1100 obvious. The next are difficult.
Did you guess, or could you tell?
I honestly couldn't, so i didn't feel too bad as the 2 pros got em wrong. Again, i didn't listen with headphones.
Lol! No, I didn't guess. The low tuning was subtle, but I'm familiar with brass and know what to listen for, so I can hear the differences (that doesn't mean I'd pay $1300 for those differences). I used headphones, which definitely helped.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Lol! No, I didn't guess. The low tuning was subtle, but I'm familiar with brass and know what to listen for, so I can hear the differences (that doesn't mean I'd pay $1300 for those differences). I used headphones, which definitely helped.
Honesty. Good stuff

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For each sample my ears preferred the $1300 snare, but the difference was so subtle that I couldn't justify buying the brass snare over the $200 steel snare.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a "Pearl guy", but I always give them credit when it come to snare drums. They particularly nail it with their inexpensive models, and have for years. In particular I think that Pearl Sensitone snares deliver great bang for the buck. (And yes, I know that this is their "Utility" model.)

Did I know which one was brass and which was steel? Yes, but they both sounded good. (I used a decent set of headphones.)

I own close to forty snare drums these days, and most are higher end. But the reality is that a good (or bad) sound can be gotten out of almost any drum with the right heads and tuning.

Excuse me while I check the tracking on my latest snare drum purchase. :D

ThomasL

Reaction score
Even though I could hear a difference, I'd never pay $1300 for a snare. Most of my kits have costed about that or less. There are great snares that cost half of that or less and that you can find used for for almost half the price with a little patience and luck.

Han

Reaction score
I've been saying for years that I would like to put ten drummers in a room with blindfolds on, and have them listen to a 12" x 8" tom with coated Remo Ambassadors top and bottom.
The drums could be tuned with a Tune Bot so very drum is at the same pitch. If there is a slight difference in pitch the drum could be hand tuned to get it to the same pitch as the others.
At that point I would hit each drum 4 times and then challenge them to tell me which drum is made by which company. How many people could tell the difference?
I tried this myself with a friend years ago with 4 different drums and couldn't tell the difference. On another occasion I was at a trade show and there were a number of kits set up. Without
being able to see the kits I heard someone play a few of them and thought I could identify a Sonor kit. Turned out it was a Sonor kit.

andwilkes

Reaction score
This was a fun video, identifying two out of three. Brass shelled snares have that timbre to them. I like how he pointed out the hardware difference as well driving the cost. In my accountant brain I was tallying the additional costs, and thought "Yeah sure, makes sense with the materials." But still a firm believer that greater cost not equaling "better" sound since it's a matter of taste.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This was a fun video, identifying two out of three. Brass shelled snares have that timbre to them. I like how he pointed out the hardware difference as well driving the cost. In my accountant brain I was tallying the additional costs, and thought "Yeah sure, makes sense with the materials." But still a firm believer that greater cost not equaling "better" sound since it's a matter of taste.
I guess all the bucks I've spent on drums have gone to materials.
You also have to figure the cheap drum won't stay in tune all that long. Otherwise I've been ripped off.
Now cymbals on the other hand...i can usually tell Paiste from other brands, especially 2002's
Different thread

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are a couple things here.

First, I will say something that strikes me as inarguably true: There is no correlation between overall sound quality and price across the industry. If there were, A&F would sound better than everything, while in reality almost everything sounds better than A&F.

Second, all other things being equal, there is a difference between what you'll hear with your ears and a sound you'll hear through mics. And you can go right through the signal chain on that. Great engineering, great mics, great studio, great drummer, great pre's, great speakers will all change the sound, too. And listening to that recorded sound will be different on YouTube.

Third, the room you're in will change the sound of the drum radically.

The thing that makes some drums genuinely great is that, accounting for all those other effects, the drum performs better than other drums do. You can make just about any drum sound amazing in a great studio with great engineering and great gear. And you can make any drum sound terrible pretty easily, too.

For me, what determines whether an expensive drum is "worth it" comes down to how dependable that drum is to more or less sound like itself in a variety of environments and to handle whatever you throw at it. I can get almost any snare drum to sound good in my house. But half my snare drums sound terrible in a nearby venue. The higher a price on a drum, the more it really has to prove itself to me in a wide array of situations. A drum like my Noble and Cooley 7x14 SS Maple has proved itself in every setting. I've had other drums that wasn't true for, even "high end" drums.

So, this video is a nice little experiment. For me, it doesn't prove much about those specific drums because I'm not in the room to hear it and further, I can't hear it in a variety of contexts.

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think I could tell the difference between a $100 student snare and a $400.
But a $400 vs $1300, probably not.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell. I doubt that an audience could tell.
At the high tuning i could, but the other 2...idk who could w/out guessing.
$1100 difference. Are lugs, and the parts screwed on worth $1100?

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've said this before on various posts, and I truly believe this...It's in the player's hands. Benny Greb sounds like Benny Greb on a SpongeBob set. You will sound like you on whatever set you're playing. Sure, there's a difference between high-end gear and cheap crap, but it's only going to be obvious to a few "educated" musicians, and completely lost on 99% of folks. Play what you love. Play what inspires you. Don't let budget or others' opinions dictate what's "good".

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've said this before on various posts, and I truly believe this...It's in the player's hands. Benny Greb sounds like Benny Greb on a SpongeBob set. You will sound like you on whatever set you're playing. Sure, there's a difference between high-end gear and cheap crap, but it's only going to be obvious to a few "educated" musicians, and completely lost on 99% of folks. Play what you love. Play what inspires you. Don't let budget or others' opinions dictate what's "good".

Good advice. I still enjoy playing as much as ever, but I've been trying to get feedback on videos I've left. I had a failed back surgery, and no longer feel my R foot. Playing without feeling a foot threw everything off. Hands, time, confidence...name it.
I've figured out how to play, but can't tell my own accuracy anymore. Anyway, that's why I do seek people's advice. I would like to gig again.
As for "Geeb sounding like Greb", I agree. I've seen great drummers make toys sound amazing.
However, what if you put 2 different snares in front of Greb.
Wouldn't you assume a $200 snare wouldn't sound the same as a $1300 snare?
I guess your right, cause i couldn't