think you're too good for mis-matched drums? steve gadd isn't!

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
had the great pleasure of seeing the steve gadd band last night at jazz alley in seattle thanks to my friend donn bennett.

mr. gadd was of course playing black yamaha drums. looked like 20-10-12-14 with a green 16. i do not know if it was backline, but the cymbals were not - they sounded beautiful and i'm sure they were hand picked.

go see him if you have the chance. he and the band were fantastic.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't the lighting? I took this photo a few days ago at his Phoenix concert, black drums looking reddish. He used an earphone to listen for the timing briefly before nearly every song. Very interesting. I wasn't a fan of his very dark-sounding crash cymbals though.

20200121_184809.jpg

20200121_190800.jpg

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i'm sure it was black and green. the congas in your picture are dark, i saw maple. also, your pic has off center bass port, i saw port dead center. lugs and hardware were different on the green 16 too. i do see what looked like two spots of tape residue on the cymbal over the 12, so it's the same cymbals. i noticed him checking tempo before songs also. i liked the minimal mic set up - 2 overheads and one on bass.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This sounds like it may have been a rental kit and maybe whoever brought it over from the backline rental packed the wrong floor tom — or that was the only 16" they had available in Yamaha Recording Custom? If his drums are changing from show to show, then they're likely local backline rentals. He's playing "drums du jour."

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the drums obviously do not make Gadd. He can play a set of boxes or cans and it's still him.

Myself on the other hand, can't always get the same feel/sound from my own kit when setting it up in different places.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not that I’m too good for a mismatched kit; it’s that I’m not good enough to pull it off live without it looking kinda cheap.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jazz Ally back line drums are green. So likely an addition to the set he provided?

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Are you sure it wasn't the lighting? I took this photo a few days ago at his Phoenix concert, black drums looking reddish. He used an earphone to listen for the timing briefly before nearly every song. Very interesting. I wasn't a fan of his very dark-sounding crash cymbals though.
I've seen him check the tempos; and now I say to people who ask me about my using Setlist Maker on stage "Gadd does it too".