Thinkin' bout Spurs

Chayro

Reaction score
Just an old guy musing about the past again. I was looking at Q drums and I realized that every company out there uses the Pearl-type spurs. Maybe not every, but just about. Now, don't get me wrong. They're 100 times better than the old crappy spurs for the most part, but I was thinking how all of the old brands had their own iconic spurs. Ludwig gull-wing and later those curved ones, Slingerland/Leedy long disappearing, Gretsch crappy Walberg disappearing, Camco horrible curved, Premier cool disappearing, Fibes uber-cool turn-lock, Hayman big gull wings. The best was probably Rogers swivo. But you see what I mean about individuality. But the new ones are better and I'll be the first to admit it. Just the variety had a coolness about it .

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I don't quite see the need for the excessive spurs. I play metal and vintage kits and never have a problem.
Does everyone's else's bass drums like to sneak away or what?

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to have one of those early Pearl kits with the new spurs. They worked great and certainly changed how drum companies progressed. One of the things that have changed as well are kick pedals. Most now come with a baseplate. I think that that has a really big effect on how much bassdrums move.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gretsch quietly started a Gull Wing come back with these in 1998-9 (after 20 years: mid 70s Premier were last) on Harvey Mason gunmetal BKs and some USA Customs. Part no. 5975.
I see similar making a comeback on many more than I can count makes today.
Below: mid later 70s Premier rebirth in 90s Gretsch.

Attachments

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I like Yamaha spurs but wish they incorporated a spring in between the leg and part mounted to the drum.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I prefer the new ones because they never fail. Yamaha's are my favorite.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the Inde suspension bracket and modern gull wing leg combo. Seems to make an audible difference compared to modern-standard heavy stiff leg brackets.
I’m using DW brackets and gull wings on one of my kits, regular DW spurs on another and then the mentioned Yamaha ones but haven’t really compared them all. All the drums sound good as they are

J

jaymandude

I’m a big fan of the Inde suspension bracket and modern gull wing leg combo. Seems to make an audible difference compared to modern-standard heavy stiff leg brackets.
I attribute part of my LA camco bass ( long gone)drum sound to the fact that it flexed a little. It didn’t move either, tho I have the moving problem with every gull wing.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
thank goodness that ludwig still offers the curved retracting leg. simple, elegant, and your bass stays put.

pearl legs look generic - everybody uses them.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Just an old guy musing about the past again. I was looking at Q drums and I realized that every company out there uses the Pearl-type spurs. Maybe not every, but just about. Now, don't get me wrong. They're 100 times better than the old crappy spurs for the most part, but I was thinking how all of the old brands had their own iconic spurs. Ludwig gull-wing and later those curved ones, Slingerland/Leedy long disappearing, Gretsch crappy Walberg disappearing, Camco horrible curved, Premier cool disappearing, Fibes uber-cool turn-lock, Hayman big gull wings. The best was probably Rogers swivo. But you see what I mean about individuality. But the new ones are better and I'll be the first to admit it. Just the variety had a coolness about it .
I'm wondering about installing old style thru-shell spurs, but on the front hoop, rather than the drum shell.
If you put them close enough together, you could use them to raise the drum a little (if you wanted to go for that lifted thing), they would allow the shell to 'float" a little, and because a hoop is thicker than a shell (well, usually) there's less issues with breakage due to years of flexing....could also be used to hold a rolled up towel on the front head, to help quell sustain, like in a studio situation.
Yeah, I'm likin' that idea! :sunny:

Elvis

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't quite see the need for the excessive spurs. I play metal and vintage kits and never have a problem.
Does everyone's else's bass drums like to sneak away or what?
My bass drum/drums will run away if I don't have good spurs. I like the newer ones that swivel out, it's just a solid design. The other ones I like from older drums are the old dissappearing Tama spurs. They both work great! I definitely need a good spike and decent drum rug, velcro on the pedal doesn't hurt either.... maybe nails through the front hoop into the stage... Kidding!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
My bass drum/drums will run away if I don't have good spurs. I like the newer ones that swivel out, it's just a solid design. The other ones I like from older drums are the old dissappearing Tama spurs. They both work great! I definitely need a good spike and decent drum rug, velcro on the pedal doesn't hurt either.... maybe nails through the front hoop into the stage... Kidding!
Maybe since I've already had sharp (not rubber tip) spurs on a rug I've always managed. Usually solid pedal board also with spurs and Velcro.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking strictly functionally ..... I prefer the "Pearl pattern" swing-out spurs. The telescoping feature is nice, especially on a small (15 or 16") bass drum using a riser on the batter side. And the forward-facing nature of the design naturally opposes the forces of the beater strike. For an example, zoom in on my avatar pic .......

That said ..... there is something aesthetically cool about the old radial "disappearing" spurs; they are also compact, light, and convenient. I have both a vintage Rogers swivo kit and a '70s Gretsch bebop kit; both have the old spurs, and both work for me in my low-volume light-hitting gigs.

Nice to have the options, eh?

Mike