Thinking about busking.

Drm1979

Reaction score
So I've never busked before but have thought about doing it solo. I would keep my kit minimal probably just snare, bass hihat and ride. And I know of some parks and other public places where I think it'd be cool to set up and play. I guess my question is do any of you have any experience busking, did you have any problems, or have a positive experience doing it? Any suggestions on places to play?

Drm1979

Reaction score
I'd do it if I could sing! DO IT!
I might try it out. The town I live in has a park with a large gazebo near a boat launch. Thought about trying it out there. I guess my main concern would be keeping my bass drum from sliding away on the concrete. I'll need to pick up a carpet remnant from the local store to set up on.

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
eh..near a liquor store?
across the street from one.
I was going into a liquor store once and there was a busker in front..I threw two bucks in his case and as I was waiting in line to buy my liquor, he was standing behind me and bought a can of beer with the two buck I just gave him..

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
no stars here but nice job
You need good weather! Not December in the East..

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going into a liquor store once and there was a busker in front..I threw two bucks in his case and as I was waiting in line to buy my liquor, he was behind me and bought a can of beer with the two buck I gave him..
What? You never never some cash for a couple cold ones???

I loathe the term "busking"
Why? What would YOU want to call it?

Nothing to lean on but your own backbone . A real musician .
Damn straight!!!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don't some places require permits?
Most cities require a permit. At least that was what a "professional busker" once told me. He made a living traveling from city to city, playing in metropolitan / tourist-y areas. He said some permits cost over $250, and that was how they deterred busking. He had a collection of unpaid violations for busking without a permit.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did some busking with my surf gig, “The Dentures”. Used my suitcase kit. Showed up for gigs on my motorcycle! We had Jon Anderson of Yes come by and roped him into singing. Wooly Bully and Gloria. Said he’d played with Bill Bruford, he’d played with Alan White, but never with someone kicking a suitcase!
090F20E9-4F89-4577-B329-40845091566F.jpeg

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going into a liquor store once and there was a busker in front..I threw two bucks in his case and as I was waiting in line to buy my liquor, he was behind me and bought a can of beer with the two buck I gave him..
Looks like you bought a fellow musician a drink.

Latest posts