Thinking about the Shell Bank Idea

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering thinning the herd in the near future. Several points to make first
Don't play in a band but would if the opportunity came along.
Main musical interests Classic Rock / Blues/ " Yacht Rock "
I am fortunate enough to have enough used gear to be able to trade for the add on pieces I would aquire so I'm not dipping in to household budget.
Now the question what pieces would you add to the following 2 kits to have all the options you would like and why?
Kit 1 Yamaha reissue RC in Classic Walnut
20/8/10/12/14
Kit 2 Yamaha AHM in Autumn Red
22/10/12/16
AHM bass drum is 22x18 just for info. So of you could add on anything you wanted what would it be and why...? All opinions welcome just looking for some ideas. Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
On paper you already have it...8/10/10/12/12/14/16/20/22
Visually (tho) not everything matches..
usually where everyone finds themselves
altho walnut and Red together could be Nice : )
at the moment with these you have a 20 and a 22 set
a 16 bass an 18 bass (and if you're real extreme a 24" bass)
Puzzle pieces---
I'd get an 18 bass in the RC---still it's a cluster.
Series and finish---finish is 1st what visually makes a strict shell bank- few have it
Series a very close second- except for a few/ few have it/
It's maddening and most just give up (on the idea)

i have 16/18/20 bass Gretsch sets.... Finish is "Red" +/- ....(Red Wine Pearl, Red Glass. Satin Rosewood)..See. I said " Red" was in it
thank goodness I don't need/want/ more than that/ nor need a big BD set/ Because I don't own a big BD set...Had em in the past and that's in the past..

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would consider adding snares from each line. 5 inch through 7 or 8 inch. I'd want an 8 inch tom for the AHM kit and a 14, 16 and 18 inch floor tom for each kit. You might as well go all the way and consider 13 inch toms for both at that point and another bass drum for each. Maybe a 22 for the RC and a 20 for the AHM.

While I'm spending your money, would you also consider a Hybrid Oak shell pack? LOL

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would consider adding snares from each line. 5 inch through 7 or 8 inch. I'd want an 8 inch tom for the AHM kit and a 14, 16 and 18 inch floor tom for each kit. You might as well go all the way and consider 13 inch toms for both at that point and another bass drum for each. Maybe a 22 for the RC and a 20 for the AHM.

While I'm spending your money, would you also consider a Hybrid Oak shell pack? LOL
Sure! LOL. To be honest I do have a matching snare for each AHM is a 6x14 and the RC is an 8x14 and an RC Brass 6.5 x 14 I think if I add another snare it would be the RC Aluminum ...

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
you have to start with a Series that is timeless (plenty available) or steady design over decades;
add, buying, like a "lucky" maniac
or re wrap everything found/ in the same finish- another "activity" (I'll leave it at that.)
3) hang a shingle and call yourself "Cartage company"

The old fashioned way was to buy a common 20/12/14
add a 16x16 FT and convert it to bass..

that's how it starts..

Last edited:

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would wait until Dan gets his AHM kit and gives us a good A/B between the two series.

On paper, I'm a maple guy and the AHM's seem right up my alley as far as what I like in a kit. When Shane at DCP described them as "Angry Yamahas," they seem like the perfect maple kit for me. I like those sizes better than the RC as well. On the other hand, the RC's are the quintessential Yamaha sound. If you get Piano Black, you can mix the series.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sure! LOL. To be honest I do have a matching snare for each AHM is a 6x14 and the RC is an 8x14 and an RC Brass 6.5 x 14 I think if I add another snare it would be the RC Aluminum ...
Sounds like our whole thing is pretty similar now. My red AHMs are 10/12/13/14ft/16ft/18bd/22bd/6x14sd. And I've got the 6.5x14 RC brass and the 5.5x14 RC aluminum!

Anyway, I've not had a chance to gig any of this stuff yet, but I can say that I'm very pleased with it so far. I've done a few remote recordings and everything's turned out great. I've used the 13 least of all, but I expected that. But I'm about to do a remote recording where the original is 12/13/16 concert toms, so I'm kinda stoked to try to get that sound.

Overall, I haven't come up against anything I can't do, and I really can't imagine it at this point. I've been messing with different heads and muffling and wow-- lots and lots of sounds to be made with this rig. The only thing I'm really missing is a deep Yamaha wood snare, but I'm in no hurry since I have the Noble and Cooley 7x14 SS Maple.

I could really see building out either kit with more drums. They are both tremendous kits with no downsides.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like our whole thing is pretty similar now. My red AHMs are 10/12/13/14ft/16ft/18bd/22bd/6x14sd. And I've got the 6.5x14 RC brass and the 5.5x14 RC aluminum!

Anyway, I've not had a chance to gig any of this stuff yet, but I can say that I'm very pleased with it so far. I've done a few remote recordings and everything's turned out great. I've used the 13 least of all, but I expected that. But I'm about to do a remote recording where the original is 12/13/16 concert toms, so I'm kinda stoked to try to get that sound.

Overall, I haven't come up against anything I can't do, and I really can't imagine it at this point. I've been messing with different heads and muffling and wow-- lots and lots of sounds to be made with this rig. The only thing I'm really missing is a deep Yamaha wood snare, but I'm in no hurry since I have the Noble and Cooley 7x14 SS Maple.

I could really see building out either kit with more drums. They are both tremendous kits with no downsides.
That's what I was thinking actually adding an 18" bd and a 13 and then 14" floor tom.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That aluminum snare is really nice. One of four in the running for my aluminum snare. Since you're a Yamaha guy, have you had any experience with the hybrid oak? Particularly the snare?

Reaction score
As someone who as built two "shell banks" and is DONE. I would say this. I would go with whatever drums you like more (obviously) and versatility (although based on your post, you don't seem to play a wide style of rock, this is NOT an insult!)

But consider what finish is more popular to find used singles for. That can be a pretty good (cheaper, although a longer process) way to build a "bank." Wrapped drums can also be rewrapped if you find them in the "wrong" color (but it doesn't seem that either of your drums are wrapped.)

Based on the drums and your playing tastes, I would say add a 22 and a 16 to the RC's and you are there. DONE. Classic drums (and look) for all styles. No need for an 18bd if you don't play jazz, MAYBE want for an 18" FT for those styles of music (but definitely NOT "essential." )

In my two "banks" I use the 13 the least too. Although since the quarantine I set up a 12, 13, 14, 15, 20 kit that I really dig.

Again I don't know the sound difference of the two kits, but RC's are timeless and classic. (Here's MY answer to your question) I'd sell the other kit, and buy RC's in 22 and 16, and maybe a 13, or even better a 15!!!!!! (or both, depending on what you can get for the other set) and you are DONE!!!! Get another set of Yamaha hardware (used) and you can have a set up at home and one in the cases to work, and you are in drumming heaven.

Hope that helps,
MSG

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I concur. I would get the same model and a very popular color. If I were to buy brand new, I’d likely jump at an AHM (even though I’ve never played one), in a real basic color like white or black.

I’d get 22/20/18BD, 16FT, 15FT [seems interesting, never played a 15], 14FT, 13, 12 & 12J (I’d run a 12 with Emperor clears for rock, another 12 with a Fiberskyn or equivalent for jazz gigs).

I’m sort of shell banking a Beech Custom right now. I don’t play anything smaller than a 12”, so I’ve got a 12/13/14/16FT/20/22 with a BCA 7x14 snare.

The BC didn’t come in a wide array of sizes, so minus the 10” (which I sold off) and 18” kick (which I already have with my SCB kit), I think I have most of it. They made a 24” BC kick, but I wouldn’t use one these days, anyways.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Either one would make a great shell bank.

I sold off a bunch of kits from different manufacturers and went all in on a Gretsch USA Custom Shell bank. I'm very happy with my choice, the shell bank concept just makes a lot of sense. (At least to me.)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering thinning the herd in the near future. Several points to make first
Don't play in a band but would if the opportunity came along.
Main musical interests Classic Rock / Blues/ " Yacht Rock "
I am fortunate enough to have enough used gear to be able to trade for the add on pieces I would aquire so I'm not dipping in to household budget.
Now the question what pieces would you add to the following 2 kits to have all the options you would like and why?
Kit 1 Yamaha reissue RC in Classic Walnut
20/8/10/12/14
Kit 2 Yamaha AHM in Autumn Red
22/10/12/16
AHM bass drum is 22x18 just for info. So of you could add on anything you wanted what would it be and why...? All opinions welcome just looking for some ideas. Thanks!
Based on what you have already, 22/12/14/16. One up, two down, but make the 14 "not-a-floor-tom". So like a 14x11 or 14x12.
Then you can play the monster butt rock kit; 22/14/16, or you can do the small club bopette kit; 16/12/14, or you can just use the whole thing; 22/12/14/16.

Elvis

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What sizes do you have

What sizes do you have ?
10", 12", and 13" mounted toms, 14", 16", and 18" floor toms, 18", 20", 22" and 24" bass drums, as well as 5" and 6 1/2" deep matching snare drums. I have a 4 1/2" and 5 1/2" deep matching snares currently on order. This photo is from February, before the 18" floor tom arrived.

1594582198449.png

Last edited: