Thinking of switching to 20 inch rides

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know the trend has been to play 22" rides for the last 20 years, but lately I've been thinking of selling all my 22" rides and going back to 20" rides.
Am I insane? Does anyone else generally prefer 20" to 22"?

I'm thinking that the positioning can be easier, and the overall sound slightly mellower/blending.

fenrir

Reaction score
I prefer 20"s. We agree!
I like where they sit in the music, the crash gets out of the way quickly and I like the way they feel to play.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a 21" man, at heart.
I've owned a bunch of 22" rides and not one of them ever felt as good as a good 21". Same with 20's, owned a bunch of them from many different makers. They always just feel a bit small.

Funny thing is, I only own 20"s and 22"s currently.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Funny. I have been shifting my rides to 21 and larger. I've sold (or given away) most all of my 20's. I've got one left that will be leaving soon. If you do kick your 22's out, shoot me a PM and maybe we can do a swap.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When i started out, all I knew was 20", I didn't come across a 22" for several years I think, and to me it's still the standard size. I use 22 as well, but don't miss a thing with a good 20". Feels right ergonomically, and the sound sits in the mix where i hear it most often.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
My preference has been for 20" and 21" rides lately, with 21" feeling just about perfect. I've played multiple 22" rides, and they never quite felt as responsive as the slightly smaller sizes, or had a wash that overwhelmed the stick sound.

However, I've come to learn that this isn't necessarily a 22" thing, but is likely due to many complicating factors. I say this because I just picked up a 22" Zildjian K ride, and it's quickly becoming a new favourite. I think it's a bit heavier than the other 22" rides I've played, and feels way more 'controlled' and defined as a result. I still love a 20" as a crash/ride, but as a main ride it'll be a 21" or 22".

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My preference has been for 20" and 21" rides lately, with 21" feeling just about perfect. I've played multiple 22" rides, and they never quite felt as responsive as the slightly smaller sizes, or had a wash that overwhelmed the stick sound.

However, I've come to learn that this isn't necessarily a 22" thing, but is likely due to many complicating factors. I say this because I just picked up a 22" Zildjian K ride, and it's quickly becoming a new favourite. I think it's a bit heavier than the other 22" rides I've played, and feels way more 'controlled' and defined as a result. I still love a 20" as a crash/ride, but as a main ride it'll be a 21" or 22".
Sweet! Did you purchase the 22" K Ride new?

Reaction score
I know the trend has been to play 22" rides for the last 20 years, but lately I've been thinking of selling all my 22" rides and going back to 20" rides.
Am I insane? Does anyone else generally prefer 20" to 22"?

I'm thinking that the positioning can be easier, and the overall sound slightly mellower/blending.
Not to be an "enabler," but why sell all of the 22's? Why not just keep the 22's that you LOVE (and will have a hard time finding once they are gone) and augment your palette with a or some 20's that you love.

Personally, I have some 18's that I love, some 20's that I love, some 22's that I LOVE, and even a 21 that is really good. I even have some 19" rides that sound great!!!!

Monogamy with cymbals is overrated!
MSG

Reaction score
Sweet! Did you purchase the 22" K Ride new?
Yeah, new direct from Amazon prime, as for some reason it was heavily discounted (less than the 20" version). Arrived in two days, double boxed and swathed in bubble wrap. Now that you mention it, it does have one or two smaller scuffs on it, but they seem to be part of the cymbal making process rather than something that happened to it afterwards. It looks unplayed. I normally wouldn't order cymbals from Amazon, but the deal was too good to pass up, and I had a bunch of gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, new direct from Amazon prime, as for some reason it was heavily discounted (less than the 20" version). Arrived in two days, double boxed and swathed in bubble wrap. Now that you mention it, it does have one or two smaller scuffs on it, but they seem to be part of the cymbal making process rather than something that happened to it afterwards. It looks unplayed. I normally wouldn't order cymbals from Amazon, but the deal was too good to pass up, and I had a bunch of gift cards burning a hole in my pocket.
Cool. How do you use it? Amplified music, I'm assuming?

Reaction score
Cool. How do you use it? Amplified music, I'm assuming?
Yeah, roots and psychedelic rock type stuff. Thing is, at least with my very small sticks, it's beautiful at lower volumes too. The real test will come once my band is willing to regroup, but judging by the other cymbals I have this seems like a perfect all-rounder.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, roots and psychedelic rock type stuff. Thing is, at least with my very small sticks, it's beautiful at lower volumes too. The real test will come once my band is willing to regroup, but judging by the other cymbals I have this seems like a perfect all-rounder.
Cool. What sticks?

I had one a while ago and it never grew on me. Maybe I should try one again. Or the 22" K Light.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think of ride sizes like snare sizes:
20” ride is like a 5” depth snare, speaks quickly, versatile, clear. Can sometimes lack bottom.

21” is kinda like a 5.5-6” deep drum.

22” is like a 6.5, adds some nice lows and depth, but can still be relatively clear. My favorite size for snare and ride.

24” is like the 8” snare. TONS of tone, depth, can start to lack articulation and can get away from you under certain circumstances. When the music calls for it, they are amazing. But not nearly as versatile.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to be an "enabler," but why sell all of the 22's? Why not just keep the 22's that you LOVE
I'm not much of a gear hoarder. Plus, I move too frequently. Plus, I'm not rich.

I don't hate any of my cymbals. I'm just feeling that the touch of a 20" is really nice, and the fact that you can position the bell a bit closer, and other cymbal stands closer (no need for any stinkin' booms), and it's just weird how pretty much everyone is using 22s.

Reaction score
I had one a while ago and it never grew on me. Maybe I should try one again. Or the 22" K Light.
I alternate between Bopworks Birdland model (the smallest stick I've ever used) and Vic Firth American Jazz AJ5 sticks (also small, but compared to the former they're huge!). Out of interest I tried it with some larger sticks too, but wasn't crazy about the sound or wash build up. Can't say I know too much about these (or the K lights), but it's the bit of extra weight (compared to my 22" Kerope) that seems to make the magic here, so I personally wouldn't want the K light. I'll have to weigh it, but think mine must be around 3000 g. Still, it has more edge wobble than many lighter cymbals I've played. For as "Vanilla" as this ride seems, it's very complex, and I can get all kinds of trashy, smoky "taaaaaahhhh" sounds when using the shank or shoulder of the stick.

Anyhow, maybe it's the sticks, the weight, our subjective experiences, or Zidljian's infamous inconsistency. Whatever it is, I'd say there are some gems out there, and feel like I lucked into getting one of them.

NewBeat

Reaction score
For me, the cutoff between manageable and "a bit much" starts at 22". I played a 22" Zildjian thin stamp "Medium" for many years, but it never quite clicked. There was a depth & clarity to it, and crashes were monstrous, but it always felt like more than I really wanted or needed, tending to dominate the sound field.

I find 22" cymbals sometimes lack character - kind of one-note-ish (and hence very difficult to find just the right one). I agree that 20" cymbals generally blend better (a "pleasing" demo is invariably harder to achieve with a 22" cymbal).

Maybe first try splitting the difference with a 21", like the Sweet Ride or something vintage.

Last edited:

toddbishop

Reaction score
I mostly use a 20 these days-- it just happens that all my 22s are kind of beasts. 20 is a nice controllable cymbal for ordinary use, 22 is for more serious occasions. Among my cymbals anyway.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer 20 inch rides; they match my bass drums.
Seriously, they are the standard for a reason, or at least how I view the standard. Great sound and control and versatility, with generally a good balance of ting and tang, at times even crashable without requiring an entire measure to lapse before you can come back to the stick pattern, easy to position around the kit, and lighter to carry from place to place.
For me these words ring true: Beware of endeavors that require new clothes or cymbals that require new cases.

DAC0018F-F1AD-44B5-8178-253536B4E990.jpeg