Thinking of switching to 20 inch rides

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I played a 20 (various ones) for probably the first 25 years. No need to go bigger. Then, in the last 10+ years, having focused mostly on jazz, I've set my sights on mostly 22's. I've gone up to 24" 1x but it was too much. I Have a few 21's which work, but 20 is a good size. For my regular band gig, I use a 20" Bosphorus traditional (surf rock, blues, pop, bluegrass). For jazz gigs I bust out 22's.....

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe first try splitting the difference with a 21", like the Sweet Ride or something vintage.
Actually, the first real ride I ever bought was a Zildjian Rock 21 back in the late 70s. After that, it was always a 20" until around 2007 or thereabouts when I started acquiring 22" rides. I currently have six (I think).
Anybody here use one of these Paiste Masters Mellow rides? I think it was called the Bluebird too.

Last edited:

TPC

Reaction score
Anybody here use one of these Paiste Masters Mellow rides? I think it was called the Bluebird too.
I have a BlueBird and it’s my go to 20” ride. It’s dry and mellow, but not thin so it has some meat to the stick. Great cymbal.

Reaction score
I'm not much of a gear hoarder. Plus, I move too frequently. Plus, I'm not rich.

I don't hate any of my cymbals. I'm just feeling that the touch of a 20" is really nice, and the fact that you can position the bell a bit closer, and other cymbal stands closer (no need for any stinkin' booms), and it's just weird how pretty much everyone is using 22s.
Yeah, I hear ya, the big cymbal thing is just a fad (blame Brian Blade.) Just like when Bill hit the scene playing old cut up "cookie monster" K's. Soon someone will start playing 20's again (maybe it's YOU!) and everyone will follow suit. It's a cycle. Elvin played three 20's for years!

I got a 20" Sound Creation Dark Crash (it's really a ride though,) about 6 months back, and was using it as a LSR a lot when the pandemic hit. Since then I have had it at home on my rock kit, and I have been playing it a lot while teaching. It's a GREAT main ride, I LOVE it. I also have a Paiste 20' Dark Energy Light Dark that is a GREAT cymbal. And I still have an old EAK 20" that I picked out at the factory that is just amazing.

You know what's weird though. It seems that it's "easier" to make a GREAT 20" than a GREAT 22". The great 22's are one in a million, where it seems (to me at least) that great 20's are more plentiful. Or maybe people just hold on to the great 22's forever. Maybe a question for a cymbal smith. I miss cymbalholic.

I used to have a lot of stuff, I have gotten rid of everything that I just "liked," and now I only own stuff that I LOVE!!!!

As long as you don't get rid of anything (especially cymbals) that you LOVE!!!! They are handmade and it can take a loooong time to track one down that you really connect with. You don't want to become one of those guys that gets rid of something that he loves, and then spends years chasing down another one, wasting time and money trying to find something that he owned at one time.

Hey I even know a certain big time Paiste endorser that still has a classic old A ride that he LOVES!!! Wasn't it Townshend that wrote, "Never get rid of your guitar your pen."

MSG

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like 21's and where they sit in the mix, but I recently grabbed a 22" Legacy Heavy based on what I heard online. Hopefully it'll be a long term keeper.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like 21's and where they sit in the mix, but I recently grabbed a 22" Legacy Heavy based on what I heard online. Hopefully it'll be a long term keeper.
I had a 22" Sabian Legacy a few years ago. It didn't sound good by itself, but really worked in the overall mix while playing. I used it on this tune:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 22" Sabian Legacy a few years ago. It didn't sound good by itself, but really worked in the overall mix while playing. I used it on this tune:
That was outstanding playing. Excellent job.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was a Heavy? it sounds fantastic on this tune. The song is outstanding! Reminds me of a local jazz/fusion band here called Gamalon.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was a Heavy? it sounds fantastic on this tune. The song is outstanding! Reminds me of a local jazz/fusion band here called Gamalon.
Oh wow! Thanks! Yes, it was a heavy.

I know all about Gamalon (I'm from Toronto). I met Ted and he was super nice. Gave me copies of all his CDs. So sad that he's not longer with us.

Last edited:

jsp210

Reaction score
I have found that a 22" ride offering good stick clarity at low to moderate volumes that will open up when I want it to gives me more satisfaction than a 20" with similar attributes. Something about that extra surface area adds depth and complexity that makes for a more interesting "ride." I also like the way a larger diameter cymbal behaves under the stick feel-wise. With that being said, I have multiple 20" rides that I could certainly cover all my gigs with if I wanted to.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, 20" rides for me. I understand why some folks like the huge rides, but all things considered, I can do anything I want with a 20 and it keeps things simple.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While I am partial to 22" myself, I would never pass up a good 20" ride. It's all about the right tool for the job.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have had great luck with 21” ride cymbals over the years . My first choice is generally a 20 “ over a 22” but of a 21” is available , I would try that first . Not sure why but 21” just seems to work for me .
I do have a 24” Paiste Masters Deep Groove ( JR Robinson ) ride that is pretty special and not something I would normally consider But it can do so many things really well and doesn’t play or feel like a big heavy ride .

My all time favourite 22” rides are :
Paiste Traditional Medium light
Paiste 2002 Heavy
Paiste 602 Medium
K Con medium.

I love the 20” 602 Medium ride most of all - best crashqbke ride I have ever played and it gets a LOT of the stand time for me on gigs .

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh wow! Thanks! Yes, it was a heavy.

I know all about Gamalon (I'm from Toronto). I met Ted and he was super nice. Gave me copies of all his CDs. So sad that he's not longer with us.
Yeah, super sad day here when he passed. Used to see him around town in various bands a lot. A true gentle giant with a big heart.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I know the trend has been to play 22" rides for the last 20 years, but lately I've been thinking of selling all my 22" rides and going back to 20" rides.
Am I insane? Does anyone else generally prefer 20" to 22"?

I'm thinking that the positioning can be easier, and the overall sound slightly mellower/blending.
Positioning is easier and also lighter and less bulky to carry. If you like it , go with it. Sometimes, maybe psychologically, you might think the feel or sound is better, but if you were to be out in the crowd with the band playing, you probably would be hard pressed to tell the difference. And if you could, non-drums sly can’t. I guarantee you can find a 20” that fits your needs.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I have had great luck with 21” ride cymbals over the years . My first choice is generally a 20 “ over a 22” but of a 21” is available , I would try that first . Not sure why but 21” just seems to work for me .
I do have a 24” Paiste Masters Deep Groove ( JR Robinson ) ride that is pretty special and not something I would normally consider But it can do so many things really well and doesn’t play or feel like a big heavy ride .

My all time favourite 22” rides are :
Paiste Traditional Medium light
Paiste 2002 Heavy
Paiste 602 Medium
K Con medium.

I love the 20” 602 Medium ride most of all - best crashqbke ride I have ever played and it gets a LOT of the stand time for me on gigs .
My 20” 602 is my go to. I also have an old 19” 602 for my small footprint kit. Great bell, shoulder ping, wash and crash.

Mr TS

Reaction score
I have 3 rides that I use depending on the situation. I have a 22” sabian aax omni, 18” Zildjian k crash ride and a 16” Sabian hh Manhattan Jazz ride. I like all of them depending on the situation. The 22” is the first 22” that I’ve been happy with as far as that size goes. The 16” is good for quieter venues and crashes pretty good.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Took me a very long time to have more than one 22" ride maybe I had two at once but it wasn't very often. And the 22 wasn't something I thought I "needed" to do gigs.
Everyone else around me (on these boards) were going thru 22s like they were jelly beans.

here's the point If you get "into 22s" too early one could

suffer a pull back and wonder "what did I miss" with 20s.
That didn't occur with me. Only recently have I gotten into 22s.

I think I pretty much milked 20s.
But (today) I'm not

as anti-22 as I once was
because I didn't "get into them" too early

I thought for the longest time, 20s were plenty.
And resisted 'falling for' 22s also

"all 22s" are not exactly 22"
There some companies where their 22 is more like 21.8 and that adds to the interesting

So overall,

probably more is better but it's better not to tap into the More too Early.

That's the issue

Last edited:

Latest posts