Thinking of switching to 20 inch rides

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I made a cymbalhoic joke about 22s way back based on I dunno.
In 1968..
"Mom would take little Johnny to his drum lessons in town. Drop him off and pick him up. One day Johnny got in the car and said Mr. Seiler said it's time to go the the Music store and get a ride cymbal. Johnny's mom surprised Johnny one day when she walked in from the store to Johnnys room with a big 22" Avedis Zildjian. Johnny peeled back the plastic bag and burst into tears " Mom you got the wrong one ! this is a 22!"

bob meyer

Reaction score
That's all I use for a ride: 20" Trans Stamp As; 20" Old Stamp Ks and my endorsed Istanbul Agop Signatures.
I think 20s are the cymbal that is the ultimate in "transparency" of sound and feel... if you find good ones...Caveat: From my 60 years of professional playing/recording/touring etc, I think they are hardest of all to make.

David M Scott

Reaction score
I know the trend has been to play 22" rides for the last 20 years, but lately I've been thinking of selling all my 22" rides and going back to 20" rides.
Am I insane? Does anyone else generally prefer 20" to 22"?

I'm thinking that the positioning can be easier, and the overall sound slightly mellower/blending.
I’ve been playing for 65 years and only ever had 2-22in units. The first was an early Zildjian flat top Jazz. Ny son and law worked in a music shop and they took it in on trade and I got it for a song. But I didn’t have a case to fit a 22in so traded it for a 60s Zildjian 18in crash and some other stuff...Duh !
in mid 2000s I bought a 22in Sabian AAX Omni hoping to cut down on the number of cymbals I had to carry. To big in size and crash. So back to a 20in Sabian AAX medium ride which is nice and bright, plays effortlessly and not heavy. I use my 1980s Sabian
14 inch crash sometimes with a chain for sizzle and this combos do well for Jazz, Classic Rock and Country, all of which I play.
oh and I have my original 18in Zilco/Canadian Zildjian med ride with rivets... but to much sustain so just carry if for nostalgia reasons

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I've been mulling the issue of ride cymbal diameter, and unsurprisingly have tentatively decided that it depends on the cymbal and what you want out of it. There are too many other variables besides diameter that affect a cymbal's sound to make diameter a major factor. Basically, if you find a good one, that's the one you keep and play regardless of diameter.

But I can't shake the suspicion that diameter is an important factor too. My pickle is that the cymbals I tend to like are usually 20" but they don't have the carrying power (volume) I think I need. I therefore look for the same cymbal in a larger diameter, only to become frustrated. Often a larger diameter cymbal just doesn't sound as good.

All else being equal, my guess is that for me the sweet spot is 21". However, all else is never equal.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got my first ride cymbal in 1965, a 22" A. Zildjian, medium ride. Used it until 2012 when I forgot to take with me on a three year out of town trip. I used the 20 " A. med. ride and WOW! Sounded great(I'd been using it as a crash since 1965) great bell, pingy sound its been my go to ride ever since. I pull out the 22" sometimes for nostalgia, but it sounds dull compared to the 20." No cracks/flaws..I have no idea why the poor thing sounds sorta lifeless. Use what sounds best is my goal. I get a lot of compliments on it. What a strange situation.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I have some of each, but the music I’m playing now, heavy loud rock, lends itself to a 22”. That said, in a lot of situations nothing beats a 20” K Ride.

Latest posts