Thinnest Soultone series? Especially hats.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking for input from those who have bought and/or played more of the Soultone stuff than I have. Personally I've only tried out 3 or 4 models and they were all rides and crashes. I haven't bought any hi hats because I couldn't be sure if they were clangers or not.

Those who have tried the different series -- Custom, Custom Brilliant RA, Latin, Natural, Vintage, Vintage Old School Patina, Gospel, Extreme, whatever else I missed -- which of them have you felt were the thinnest models?

varatrodder

Reaction score
The Vintage Old School (not the patina version) are pretty thin.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I loved the 15” extreme hats. Don’t let the name fool ya. They weren’t all that heavy or Clangy. They had a great chick and a perfect slosh opened up. Recently got rid of mine and still regret it.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
@mtarrani hoping you will chime in on this. I know you’ve tried a few different series.
Custom or Vintage series (not the Old School 1964 ones, though.) Their hats seem to be not-so-thin in every series. Most of the ones that I own are in the Custom (or Custom Brilliant), or Latin series. There is a graduated thickness, where the Customs are the thinnest, the Custom Brilliants are a tad thicker, and the Latin are the thickest among them. The Vintage are somewhere between the Custom and Custom Brilliant, and the Old School 1964 are about the same as the Custom Brilliants. But, as I said, the hats are not what I would call thin. Some play thinner than their weight, but the don't approach Dream Bliss thin.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Mike! That's just the info I'm looking for. I would not have guessed the Latin series to be on the thicker side, but that's probably because I have a Bosphorus Latin crash that is really thin. I'll have to look at the Vintage and Custom stuff.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve owned quite a few Soultones from a bunch of the series. Never hats, though, so take this with a grain of salt. But going by just the specific cymbals I’ve owned, which may or may not be representative examples of their respective lines, I would’ve personally said the Latin Series is in the middle in terms of weight. The Extreme, Custom RA, and Natural Series were all heavier. And the Vintage and Vintage Old School 1964 were the lightest. YMMV.