This’ll make you laugh... I promise (unless it’s your drum)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
So we all know that the best thing for bass drums is MORE PILLOWS. Right??? right?
Well this guy didn’t hear the “bass” in that well known piece of wisdom... For him ALL drums are better with pillows! (Found this beauty while browsing the web, and no, it was not in jest, just a man selling a drum - pillow included I presume)

Aaaaaaand just when you thought you’d seen it all - I present the latest in designer internal dampening:

1A0F2217-06E8-4627-9A0E-0061D1A32223.jpeg

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s a bit extreme with pillows. However, I do remember in the 60’s some drummers recommended newspaper strips taped inside the drum.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My buddy swears by torn up news paper or packing peanuts in his kick drum.
I think the studio engineers used to do this in the 60’s to kill the ring. There were guys who played balloons with a timp mallet for a bass drum sound, leather chairs for floor toms, all sorts of nutty things as engineers just kept making the drums sound less boomy and more dead. By the time you get to the early 70’s, they may very well have had pillows in snare drums, who knows.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the studio engineers used to do this in the 60’s to kill the ring. There were guys who played balloons with a timp mallet for a bass drum sound, leather chairs for floor toms, all sorts of nutty things as engineers just kept making the drums sound less boomy and more dead. By the time you get to the early 70’s, they may very well have had pillows in snare drums, who knows.
Ya this one drummer friend of mine had Evan’s hydraulics on his drums with o rings and moon gels. Not a good sound lol sounded like cardboard boxes playing but out front amazing.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
In the snare drum? NO, I hardly ever muffle my Supra. By design they do ring but I like really tight heads and when tuned to just less than choking he tone is pretty nice. A drummer friend liking the sound of the snare and ask me what I was using to muffle it. He was surprised when I said nothing. He said he had cotton balls in his. I told him my trick and try it next time you change heads; plus we have a big crowd here tonight in this little bar and that helps to kill the ring.

sherm

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last jazz festival I organized, summer 2019, a very famous and great drummer played with his band.
When he set up the backline kit he filled the bass drum (which already had dampening ring to the batter head) with lots of fluffy stuff.
And it sounded fantastic together with the rest of the gear, and with the band!
Another of the drummers also dampened the bass drum of the other backline kit (my old Ludwig bop kit) so he could get "a better feel" and it sounded great too!
"It's not the gear, it's the player" came to mind, again...