This drum on Amazon is ready for your finish

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a 13" snare, and THIS Gretsch Ash snare on Amazon seemed worth a shot for $179.

Upon opening the box, I wasn't 100% happy with the grain pattern or the finish. The grain pattern should have been amazing, because it's ash, and the drum in the Amazon picture shows a ton of grain. The finish was, well, it had none! I couldn't even detect a mild oil or wax finish on the shell.

It didn't cross my mind to return it; instead, I took this opportunity to apply my own finish. It was as if I had been sent a Keller shell with bearing edges and hardware for $179. I couldn't resist.

The next two photos show the original drum still in the box, and the finished drum.

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mistakes:
I will never use stain again - stick to dye. Stain bleeds too much and is impossible to control. It bled onto the bearing edge, even though I was careful to mask it. The stripe down the middle was a pain. Never again!

Second, I'll never use Polycrylic by Minnwax again. Stick to lacquer. The Polycrylic is soft and refuses to shine to my satisfaction after sanding between coats from 320, 500, 800, 1200, 3000 grit. I ended up buying lacquer and topping the drum with that, with the sanding and polishing all over again, so double the work.

This photo shows the shine best. I polished with automotive polish and waxed with carnauba.

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
pretty neat How'd you get that band thru the middle
The middle stripe is just more stain. The center stripe stain had a solvent effect on the base coat stain and ended up erasing some of the color as I wiped it off. Like I said, I'll stick to dye from now on. Anyway, to get the darker color in the middle, I actually ended up spray painting a light coat of grey paint on top of the drying stain, then wiping off. The center stripe is basically an experiment that went wrong.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
The middle stripe is just more stain. The center stripe stain had a solvent effect on the base coat stain and ended up erasing some of the color as I wiped it off. Like I said, I'll stick to dye from now on. Anyway, to get the darker color in the middle, I actually ended up spray painting a light coat of grey paint on top of the drying stain, then wiping off. The center stripe is basically an experiment that went wrong.
It looks great!
Nicely done!

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mistakes:
I will never use stain again - stick to dye. Stain bleeds too much and is impossible to control. It bled onto the bearing edge, even though I was careful to mask it. The stripe down the middle was a pain. Never again!

Second, I'll never use Polycrylic by Minnwax again. Stick to lacquer. The Polycrylic is soft and refuses to shine to my satisfaction after sanding between coats from 320, 500, 800, 1200, 3000 grit. I ended up buying lacquer and topping the drum with that, with the sanding and polishing all over again, so double the work.

This photo shows the shine best. I polished with automotive polish and waxed with carnauba.

She sure is purdy!! :)

DrumSmith

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did you do anything to the original drum finish like stripping it or sanding it?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I did nothing to the finish to prep it, and it soaked the stain right in, which supports my suspicion that it had no finish applied to it.

-----

That drum on eBay had MUCH nicer grain than the one I was sent. Hmmmmm, someone likes a THUDDY sound don't they?