This finish

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you think of this finish on a MIJ Starclassic Bubinga kit?
Depending on lighting, it can look real dark to pink. Both of those drums are the same finish. I believe it's called "Deep Purple"

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought so too, but wanted to get some opinions, as I'm color blind. This finish changes shade depending on lighting. In daylight, it almost looks pink, but other times will look dark (according to friends) it sounds great, MIJ There's definitely a difference with the old stock wood, and the more current made in China, with sound, weight, and even the color of the wood.
Some of the newer Exotic kits have what looks to be old stock wood for the toms, but the bass drums considerably lighter, and doesn't have that dark color.
I like the 22x16 inch bass on the kit as well. I just like the feel of a shallow bass.
Thanks for the feedback

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you going to buy this kit, Tee, or do you already own it? Regardless, the first pic shows what appears to be the initial stages of corrosion building under the finish on the hoop and iso mount. If that's indicative of a life in a high-humidity environment, I'd think seriously about removing the lugs and inspecting the wood, hardware, and bearing edges. Just to be safe. They haven't been in or near a flood, have they? Just curious.

GeeDeeEmm

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I bought it. The lighting gives that illusion, the kit is in excellent condition. Lighting can make crazy reflections. I'll take better pics, as I see that too (in the pic) I would have never bought it, if it had anything like that going on.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The kit had been sitting around and had some dust. The shells are in mint condition, but one of the dicast hoops did have a small rash. I mean really small. I could always replace the hoop if it bothered me.
7 piece, MIJ Bubinga. It sounds incredible. 22x16 bass, and jumped on it for the price. When I buy a kit, especially an older one, I inspected it thoroughly. I had just wiped it with a cloth, and the specs went away. I'm sure there are more specs, or I missed a few, but I'll wipe it down good tomorrow.
Good lookin' out though!

Attachments

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A shot of the same area after wiping some dust off.
20190917_000938.jpg