This is a joke right?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the way of the world -- lots of people asking MORE than top dollar for anything nice and somewhat collectable.

I have to think if that seller were US-based the price wouldn't be QUITE so high. American vintage drums certainly seem to have higher value in Europe.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
8K is completely insane of course, but I'm not so sure that set was stripped and refinished. I'm thinking thats the original finish......of course I could be wrong.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As an eBayer for 22 years, be very careful buying from Italy which is where this guy is shipping from. And relax, I’m not against Italy being Italian myself. It’s just a notorious country for online antics. Same with Brazil.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
8K is completely insane of course, but I'm not so sure that set was stripped and refinished. I'm thinking thats the original finish......of course I could be wrong.
If that was the original finish it would have sold in minutes.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm uneducated about this. How can you tell they're refinished?
I'm a newbie about this too, but it seems to me that the seam under the badge on the snare drum (4th from last photo) is a giveaway that at least the snare drum was born with a wrapped finish.

PPF

Reaction score
If this was the original finish this would be the holy Jesus christ unicorn in pink sparkle. To my knowledge there is no RB kit in a natural gloss finish.
They started with these finishes with SSB

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Prices in Italy are usually much higher than they are in the USA. I believe at one time you were not allowed to ship instruments to Italy.

That being said I believe it too much for a refinish. However, if it's the original finish I can see it selling in this range.

Whitten

Reaction score
Prices all over Europe (UK included) are much higher than the USA. Vintage drums seem uber affordable and kinda cheap when I look at U.S drum stores.
Drums online find their true value I'm sure. If $8k is too much then no one will buy them, or someone will offer the seller a lower price and he might agree.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could this be the same kit......

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If this was the original finish this would be the holy Jesus christ unicorn in pink sparkle. To my knowledge there is no RB kit in a natural gloss finish.
There was a Gretsch ad in the RB era showing one endorser (I think it was Charlie Persip) with a natural maple kit. Ted Reed has a picture of himself with a natural maple Round Badge set on the cover of one of his drum books and the drummer for the Hawaiian group the Allis (Don Ho's backing group) is shown with a natural maple Gretsch set on the cover of one 1960s album. I suppose that possibly the latter two may have been sets that were stripped (although why would someone do that to a relatively new set of drums?) but much less likely that Gretsch would feature a stripped set in their own ad (listed as "polished maple" finish in the fine print at the bottom). So, while no doubt as rare as the aforementioned unicorn, it does seem that at least one such set did exist before they became more available during the SSB era.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score

This may have been discussed before but what is the deal with the set Ted Reed has in this picture? Is his set original natural finish?

1610651909137.png

Ox Han

Reaction score
Could this be the same kit......

If it's the same, one of the sellers would have bought the kit and then sold it later as the sellers are located in two different countries. The serial number is only on one bass drum tag (USA) and there is a nick in one of the floor toms above the badge (USA) not present on the other. Maybe that could have happened in shipping. There is also a stain on the top of a bass drum (UK) not on the other.

Were these listed at the same time? Might have been a similar finish or one seller saw the other's kit and thought, "my drums almost look just like that. Maybe I should use that inlay on my hoops...."