header.nohb.html

This is for real, unfortunately…

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Humoristic song.

Funny people dont see the satire of it.

But seeing the (ever returning) sad remarks about the Rap genre, it always makes me happy that I can use the meme again

1656153609978.jpeg

I like the MJ influence btw.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
But seeing the (ever returning) sad remarks about the Rap genre, it always makes me happy that I can use the meme again

It’s not my fault that rap sucks. It did that all on its own.

Attachments

• 3449A200-3E31-46C1-A85A-07430B93B90F.gif
    3449A200-3E31-46C1-A85A-07430B93B90F.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Humoristic song.

Funny people dont see the satire of it.

View attachment 567641

I like the MJ influence btw.

Totally disagree...

I am an old guy who yells at the clouds on occasion, BUT I was a DJ back from about 1998 till 2010 and my daughter was also into early rap, so I was exposed early on. I enjoyed some of the stuff from that era: Dr Dre, LL Cool J, Run DMC, Busta Rhymes, Tupac (California Love!).

Unfortunately rap has run its course (imho) due to a rather limited musical style. It has gotten WAY too "produced": usually concocted rapidly by the rapper and a producer using computer plug ins. It is now just a rather non-musical PRODUCT that even young folks are not really invested in. When was the last time you heard some really well crafted song writing, quality singing (not auto-tuned), meaningful lyrics or real drums/guitars on a pop-rap song? Not much of that coming from Megan Tha Stallion.

BUT back to Corey F... I think Corey F is a totally self-unaware has-been who thinks he still has a small amount of HIP FACTOR when he is actually just a washed up fool. He would not know satire if he tripped over it.

Reminds me of another old school rapper wanna-be... VANILLA ICE. Yet at least the ice man looked good and was young.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Totally disagree...

I am an old guy who yells at the clouds on occasion, BUT I was a DJ back from about 1998 till 2010 and my daughter was also into early rap, so I was exposed early on. I enjoyed some of the stuff from that era: Dr Dre, LL Cool J, Run DMC, Busta Rhymes, Tupac (California Love!).

Unfortunately rap has run its course (imho) due to a rather limited musical style. It has gotten WAY too "produced": usually concocted rapidly by the rapper and a producer using computer plug ins. It is now just a rather non-musical PRODUCT that even young folks are not really invested in. When was the last time you heard some really well crafted song writing, quality singing (not auto-tuned), meaningful lyrics or real drums/guitars on a pop-rap song? Not much of that coming from Megan Tha Stallion.

BUT back to Corey F... I think Corey F is a totally self-unaware has-been who thinks he still has a small amount of HIP FACTOR when he is actually just a washed up fool. He would not know satire if he tripped over it.

Reminds me of another old school rapper wanna-be... VANILLA ICE. Yet at least the ice man looked good and was young.
You’d be suprised how many Rap producers still real instruments.

And I know as I played on sample packs used by anyone from The Wu Tang Clan Busta to Eminem to Logic to Drake, and even full drum part recordings.

Speaking of Drake.

He just released a song with this talent from Amsterdam on guitar.

And even more now than in the past they use full bands too (and these bands are often so good they are even hired by regular pop artists).

Some rap is not my taste either (drill, mumble, and that over-used n*gg*s, b*tch*s, and h*’s) but rap (just like any other style, even EDM) still uses real instruments quite heavy.

Maybe even more now than in the past.

And autotune has been used from rock to pop to rap, not a genre locked tool. It can (and is) be used with taste and distaste in all too.

It for certain hasn’t run its course.

Just like all styles it ever evolves and not always the way we prefer, and that it is how it should be.

Its just too easy to write off an entire genre and state its mess as fact, whilst its just an opinion.

That is not how it should be.

Last edited:

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree...

Limited musical style ? Your being far to kind. And what started as street corner that had some merit for those living in poor circumstances and neighbourhoods and making a true statement about same, has now turned into, as you say overblown commercial production. I could buy the original material even though I was well into my late 50s when it began but i'm at a loss now to even begin to understand Rap.
Guess I should just shuffle off to
the Personal Care Home, drooling all the way.
P.S. I'm wondering if this form should be divided in to age groups ? It seems there are a lot of us out there that have never listened to never mind played Metal, Grunge or non musical material. On the other side of the coin there are many younger contributors who have never heard or would understand BeBop/Modern Jazz which i'm sure sounds weird snd discordant to them and in truth is.
just sayin

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Oh boy. I cannot imagine how tough it must be for these former child stars. Many of them took their own lives due to all the pressure they were under. There are not many Ron Howard’s out there who would go on to huge successes. This guy has been trying to recapture what he once had for his entire adult life. One can only hope he finds some peace at some point.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You’d be suprised how many Rap producers still real instruments.

And I know as I played on sample packs used by anyone from The Wu Tang Clan Busta to Eminem to Logic to Drake, and even full drum part recordings.

Speaking of Drake.

He just released a song with this talent from Amsterdam on guitar.

And even more now than in the past they use full bands too (and these bands are often so good they are even hired by regular pop artists).

Some rap is not my taste either (drill, mumble, and that over-used n*gg*s, b*tch*s, and h*’s) but rap (just like any other style, even EDM) still uses real instruments quite heavy.

Maybe even more now than in the past.

And autotune has been used from rock to pop to rap, not a genre locked tool. It can (and is) be used with taste and distaste in all too.

It for certain hasn’t run its course.

Just like all styles it ever evolves and not always the way we prefer, and that it is how it should be.

Its just too easy to write off an entire genre and state its mess as fact, whilst its just an opinion.

That is not how it should be.

OK, fair enough, But you mention you played for the exact "old school" rap that I said was pretty cool (and used real instruments)... you are just proving my point. Busta, Wu Tang, Eminem. Heck, Eminem started his career 25 years ago, and Wu Tang recorded 30 years ago.

Here is Tupac from 1995:

Last edited:

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
OK, fair enough, But you mention you played for the exact "old school" rap that I said was pretty cool (and used real instruments)... you are just proving my point. Busta, Wu Tang, Eminem. Heck, Eminem started his career 25 years ago, and Wu Tang recorded 30 years ago.

Here is Tupac from 1995:

You are missing my point it looks like it as that was for sure not my point (no harm done, its ok).

But I was indeed refering to current recordings/ music situation in the genre (the Logic and Drake were a dead giveaway).

Back then using real instruments was actually far less used (almost none) in the Rap genre, left aside the ocassional keyboards and strings for productions.

It wasn’t until The Soulquarians (and one could say later drummers like Chris Dave, and Nate Smith) baaically kickstarted the idea you can use real musicians for hip-hop recordings to get a new vibe.

Speaking of Pac.

I was 11 (just started with drum lessons 4 years earlier) and All Eyez On Me was on heavy repeat during Elementary.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually going on tour! Get your meet and greet tix now.

I’ve decided to avoid the rush and miss it early.