This is hard, and impressive

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm doing this song, "Last Two Dollars" with a mixed genre (but mostly) R&B band, and have been watching this video because the way Johnny Taylor works the crowd and directs his band is kind of the way our singer wants to work. Basically, you don't know what she's going to do, you have to follow her lead.

Check out Johnny Taylor at 4:30. He's gone into some crowd interaction, probably at random, turns around and waves the band off. I don't think everyone is clear exactly who is supposed to lay out, and exactly how much. Bass player stops playing, drummer backs off and the percussionist stops the cowbell pattern. Then Johnny looks back again, and you know the drummer and bass player are wondering what they didn't do right, lol. Bass player starts again more quietly, percussionist eventually starts his cowbell again. It's so hard to read this stuff, and who knows what kind of butt chewing they got later (if any), but these guys have to be on the ball all the time with this kind of performer.

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work with a blues guitar player who does this. I did several years with a jazz jam house band, so I have good ears and quick reflexes. But we went through seven bass players before finding one who could deal with it. Luckily we are only a trio.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I play with a singer who doesn't always remember all the words on time, it's good training for improvising the form lol

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s unprofessional to expect the band to read your dang mind .
Can’t she come up with hand signals ???