This is so dumb. Drum stool question

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
So I picked up one of those Gibralter stools with the thick, super soft seat. Played my first gig with it Friday. Packing up for the gig, I couldn't get the top to come off. I loosened the hex nut and the drum key fastener on the underside of the top part like I would with any drum throne - expecting the top to then just pop off - but it didn't. I couldn't get the top off. I assembled the thing when I got it - don't remember anything unusual in the instructions... I threw away the instructions (it's a DRUM STOOL).

So I had to just throw the stool into the dad-van by itself instead of packing it with hardware. Not that big of a deal, but it seems like I should be able to remove the top part of the drum throne for packing and traveling.

Help me out here. What am I missing? I feel like an idiot. Thanks

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your not an idiot.

I throw everything in the back of my Explorer; no cases, hats still on the stand, snare on the front seat, throne legs folded but still together and cymbals in a bag on the floor.

You got a ways to go to catch up to my idiocy with my “players” gear habits

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I picked up one of those Gibralter stools with the thick, super soft seat. Played my first gig with it Friday. Packing up for the gig, I couldn't get the top to come off. I loosened the hex nut and the drum key fastener on the underside of the top part like I would with any drum throne - expecting the top to then just pop off - but it didn't. I couldn't get the top off. I assembled the thing when I got it - don't remember anything unusual in the instructions... I threw away the instructions (it's a DRUM STOOL).

So I had to just throw the stool into the dad-van by itself instead of packing it with hardware. Not that big of a deal, but it seems like I should be able to remove the top part of the drum throne for packing and traveling.

Help me out here. What am I missing? I feel like an idiot. Thanks
Does the top turn at all on the post or it is totally stiff?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had that happen with my Porter and Davies on a Tama base. The seat casting has a slight circular recess at the top that just BARELY fit the top of the throne post in, and once it was in there, it was basically fused (after sitting on it all night, I had basically pushed it all the way in). Had to use a baby sledge to get it off and then grind that recess open a tiny bit with a Dremel to prevent it from happening again. Might be the case with yours.

Baby sledge (with pieces covered by a towel to prevent marring) worked well to get it off -- light taps on the joint between the post and the seat casting to loosen the "fused" piece (strikes perpendicular to the throne post), then harder taps on the casting itself, strikes running parallel to the throne post, "up" towards the seat to actually knock it off.

JonnyFranchi$e

Reaction score
Does the top turn at all on the post or it is totally stiff?
IIRC it was totally stiff. It's one of those spinny ones that changes height by spinning. And I couldn't spin the top without spinning the entire post. I THINK. I might not be recalling it right though. I'll check then home later. And I'll try the baby sledge too @bpaluzzi.

Also, yeah maybe who cares? It really doesn't hurt to just throw it in the van. Not going "on tour" with it any time soon. And my hardware bag is heavy enough without it. IDK. I'll take the advice and mess with it tonight and see.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a dumb question. Fear not. When I joined this forum, back when it was part of Harry Cangany's drum shop, I didn't know what a bearing edge was.

This .......

Plus the fact that ...... no matter how slim, trim and light you might be, there is a huge concentration of force on the top of the spindle, made worse by the inevitable "pile-drivering" we drummers give our seats! So if there is any tiny reduction in the diameter of the cast receiver on the seat (as bpaluzzi experienced), the spindle can get wedged in there pretty good ........ I'll bet the little whack with a soft hammer will free it quickly.

Now, you probably don't want to have to do this every time you break down your kit; you could take a hard rubber washer or two and shove them up into your casting ...... or break out the Dremel.

Mike

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

A further thought ....... after I stopped trying not to laugh at this picture ............ !

We drummers kinda don't waste much time thinking about our thrones, except for the comfort issues. The lowly seat is taken for granted most of the time, until something happens - hopefully not this drastic! But this is where quality comes into the picture: the materials used in that casting, the "board" covered with padding that we put our precious tushes on. If a manufacturer "cheaps out" ..... this could be the result. And it doesn't help if you're inclined towards the husky ........... !

This is the reason why most manufacturers err on the side of caution when they design drum thrones ..... and the reason why this piece of hardware is usually the heaviest thing in our kit ...........

I'll bet that Gibraltar throne is overbuilt ........ so, you probably won't have to worry about ..... penetration!

M.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look closely, there may be a screw or pin or something holding the seat on. Something is holding it together.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Wait…do you have the actual stool, or is it just a stool sample?

Sorry.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple high end spindle thrones (Tama and Gibraltar) where this has occurred. Since I don't gig, I just leave them alone. Still don't know why my Tama Titan top won't come off....and not too concerned about it.
Someday I'll dive into it OR break out the sledge hammer........lol.