header.nohb.html

This is what I do to make practice less boring

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I try and come up with song ideas that match somewhat the technique I want to dust off a bit. Today I had to do a bit of Motown style "snare on each quarter" beat (wich I almost never do with my current band) to refresh that type of pocket for an upcoming house-band assignement. I played a simple bass line and it made me somewhat think of a theme song for a japanese animated series. So I kept on adding a few layers and very soon it became way more fun to play over that than a naked click.

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play boring stuff along with sampled loops like this

That betty Davis stuff sure sounds/feels awesome... I play with a lot of records too. Lately I've been transitionning to tracks on wich I play everything mostly because, it makes me practice pretty much every aspect of the job (different instruments, writing, engineering, mixing etc.). And it removes the "crutch" of having another drummer to lean on.

Of course it's always gonna fell great if I play over Gadson: it's freaking Gadson. But if I come up with a Bill Withers type of songs, am I able to make it feel even remotely as good? thats what I'm working towards.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve gotten to the point where I only play along to records to learn the song .
I’ve been working on just having fun and being musical with a metronome.

I’ll let y’all know when that happens …
So far it’s horrible …..

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve gotten to the point where I only play along to records to learn the song .
I’ve been working on just having fun and being musical with a metronome.

I’ll let y’all know when that happens …
So far it’s horrible …..
Well the less stuff there is, the more glaringly obvious all the inconsistencies are. It's the same for all of us, maybe except for guys like Carter McLean etc..

I mean I wouldn't post the track I just did without the other instruments and the processing. there are a lot of snare hits that are not in the sweet spot of the batter head, let me tell ya!! But, with all the stuff to burry it, it doesn't sound or feel that bad.

I've heard videos of you playing alone, You aren't the kindest judge of your own talent: those vids sounded very good to me.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the less stuff there is, the more glaringly obvious all the inconsistencies are. It's the same for all of us, maybe except for guys like Carter McLean etc..

I mean I wouldn't post the track I just did without the other instruments and the processing. there are a lot of snare hits that are not in the sweet spot of the batter head, let me tell ya!! But, with all the stuff to burry it, it doesn't sound or feel that bad.

I've heard videos of you playing alone, You aren't the kindest judge of your own talent: those vids sounded very good to me.
Thank you for that . I can really crucify myself …..There are many times I seriously consider hanging it up ….
Wife says I need to see someone …

I think she’s right ….

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to be progressing quite well from my memory of you 1st coming here ….
It’s like you really are one of us now .
And not some singing imposter .

Really !!!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can really crucify myself …..
For a long long time I was merciless with myself as well. After a while it got so darn hard and tiring to seem to never get anywhere, at anything (even when many signs pointed towards a relative success). Then I decided to cut me a bit of slack and start appreciating what I did OK.

I love a lot of artists for and/or despite their imperfections (Dylan's nasal tone or Neil Young's voice and idiosyncratic guitar playing for instance). So I started embracing mine and find a sort of beauty in them.

I'll never be Vinnie or Weckl, and I'm fine with it. But can I hold a pocket steady enough to make people wana dance? Can I convey an emotion through dynamics and fills? I'm slowly getting there and I'm proud of it.

You seem to be progressing quite well from my memory of you 1st coming here ….
It’s like you really are one of us now .
And not some singing imposter .

Really !!!
Thanks a lot for this. I work hard but keep it fun by focussing on the "play" part of playing.

You have to work on something nice, maybe with you and your wife's band, post it here so we can all cheer you on. Drums are meant to be played as part of an ensemble. They always sound better in conjunction with other instruments. And I'm sure you got more than enough musicianship to make yours shine in a band.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
For a long long time I was merciless with myself as well. After a while it got so darn hard and tiring to seem to never get anywhere, at anything (even when many signs pointed towards a relative success). Then I decided to cut me a bit of slack and start appreciating what I did OK.
This is about where I am right now, through the word “anything.” Practicing 2 hours a day and I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is about where I am right now, through the word “anything.” Practicing 2 hours a day and I don’t feel like I’m getting anywhere.
I was there for like 3-4 years solid …..
Keep at it , we just don’t hear it .

I’ve been told I was getting better , we just don’t really hear it ..

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was pretty darn cool.
Nice work.
I particularly like the bass drum pattern with the double every now and again.
Really nice flow.
And that’s a good sound you got.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That was pretty darn cool.
Nice work.
I particularly like the bass drum pattern with the double every now and again.
Really nice flow.
And that’s a good sound you got.
Hey thanks a lot Mcjnic, I appreciate your feedback.
Those kind of things I just throw together in about an hour to have fun. Far from some album cuts.

But the recorded tone of the drums is from one of my presets and I'm quite happy with it. All the preamps settings, the room, the processing and the microphones work synergistically well with the Sonors and my playing. At least, I think ;-)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was there for like 3-4 years solid …..
Keep at it , we just don’t hear it .

I’ve been told I was getting better , we just don’t really hear it ..
I've said it a lot but self-recording/self-filming periodically is great to make you hear and see the actual progress you make.

We are often the worst judges of our own stuff, particularly those of us with insecurities and/or confidence issues. Our mind can definitely play tricks on us.

Comparing recordings from 6 months, a year or 2 years ago to one from today will give you a clear point of reference. Way better than a faulty memory coupled with a bad case of "I'mnotgoodenough-itis". Barring some muscular or neurological deficiency, It is virtually impossible to have a (even loosely) structured practice regimen and make zero progress. It may come slower than expected, but it is made nonetheless. Now you have to re-program your brain so that you actually recognise and register your progress.