This Summer Ruined Drums for My Dog

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started in, probably, June with a nightly barrage of fireworks that intensified with every passing day -- and every single bang caused my 13-year-old mixed breed dog to get more freaked out, constantly trying to get between us and the counter or under the table, bed, etc.

Fourth of July was like Battle of the Bulge. We talk a walk around the neighborhoods and there were so many explosions, it hurt my ears. We could see major displays in every direction. All of these pyrotechnics, by the way, are imported from an adjoining state. None of it is "legal" here.

After the fireworks started to run out in mid-July, the head and humidity came together to bring us almost nightly thunderstorms (or at least thunder), which the dog likes even less.

We've tried CBD treats, but a dog can only get so high -- and she's still not happy on the doggy drugs.

Anyway, she never loved the drums I play in the basement, so I've stayed away from them the last couple of weeks to avoid adding to her burdens. She's the best dog I've ever had, and I hate to add to Pepper's burdens.

Anybody else with an unhappy dog?

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What about having somebody take the dog for a walk and then play or even put her outside for awhile?

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Anyway, she never loved the drums I play in the basement, so I've stayed away from them the last couple of weeks to avoid adding to her burdens. She's the best dog I've ever had, and I hate to add to Pepper's burdens.
You’re a good guy, Vista.

I admit I’ve sat down to the piano quite a bit more than I have to the drums recently, and there, our dogs and I are blessed.

Nothing beats the feeling of touching those first notes on the keys, and then hearing dogs pull themselves up from wherever they are in the house because they want to come and lay at your feet while you play. It seems to be one of life’s pleasures for them, as well as for me.

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a 14 year old Australian cattle dog who’s almost totally deaf, so when thunderstorms or gunshots (we live in a rural area) happen, she no longer notices them unless they’re abnormally loud or nearby. Thankfully the gunshots are never nearby. Her housemate, another Ozzie cattle dog, can still hear quite well and shakes like a leaf when that kind of noise occurs.

If there’s a bright side of going deaf for a dog, drowning out loud noise would be it.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started in, probably, June with a nightly barrage of fireworks that intensified with every passing day -- and every single bang caused my 13-year-old mixed breed dog to get more freaked out, constantly trying to get between us and the counter or under the table, bed, etc.

Fourth of July was like Battle of the Bulge. We talk a walk around the neighborhoods and there were so many explosions, it hurt my ears. We could see major displays in every direction. All of these pyrotechnics, by the way, are imported from an adjoining state. None of it is "legal" here.

After the fireworks started to run out in mid-July, the head and humidity came together to bring us almost nightly thunderstorms (or at least thunder), which the dog likes even less.

We've tried CBD treats, but a dog can only get so high -- and she's still not happy on the doggy drugs.

Anybody else with an unhappy dog?
I’d imagine the idea has occurred to you, but you could put drum silencer pads over the kit if it would help your dog’s quality of life (and yours too, probably).

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always try the thunder jacket. It works with our smallest chihuahua but not our Pug. The Pug doesn’t get scared by the noise he gets angry and barks. The Jacket makes them feel snuggled and has a calming effect.

Attachments

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always try the thunder jacket. It works with our smallest chihuahua but not our Pug. The Pug doesn’t get scared by the noise he gets angry and barks. The Jacket makes them feel snuggled and has a calming effect.
+1 on the thunder jacket
Some Dr. Bachs "Rescue Remedy" (with alcohol) will help a little

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue right now. My dog Samson is 13 and we just found out he is very sick. It's been a tentative couple of weeks, and then we got news today which unfortunately doesn't look promising at all. I'e barely picked up my sticks, trying to keep it quiet. He'll usually go to a different floor of the house when I play, but stairs aren't his friend right now. Poor guy. It's sad watching them get old.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of my friends have the same issue as you, but I have the opposite situation. Fortunately my big guy (who's now 12) isn't phased at all by any sound except my sneezing. Whenever I do that, he gets up and goes as far away from me as possible. He'll either leave the house if the door's open, or if it isn't, he'll go stand next to it with his tail tucked down and his ears lowered like he's terrified.

When it comes to thunder and loud machinery he's totally oblivious, but when I play drums, that's when his fun starts. I used to have an acoustic kit set up in my back room and he'd come tearing in whenever I sat down to play, barking his head off and making it almost impossible to get any playing in. He liked to get up close and personal and especially liked to bark and bite at the kick beater:

2009_01_28-Boom004.JPG

Mojo-Drums2 003.jpg

Mojo-Drums2 009.jpg

Although I had no interest in e-drums, after playing a Roland set on a gig with my brothers-in-law last year, I started warming up to them. I bought a used, older model Roland for home use soon after that gig and put the acoustic set away. Now when I practice, he lays down right beside me and curls up for a nap while I play. I use headphones so he doesn't hear anything, and since I replaced the kick tower and conventional pedal with a Roland KT10 trigger pedal, there's no swinging beater (which he considers a toy to bite and grab) to distract him. This might be something for you to consider.

IMG_0132.JPG