header.nohb.html

This week in Dr. Dumpy’s OR…

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just pulled out a lug and my new screws and washers . They will fit no problem if you go that route .

Attachments

• CB87E8F3-F1F8-4184-B6BC-4DEB2B6D8F54.jpeg
    CB87E8F3-F1F8-4184-B6BC-4DEB2B6D8F54.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 33
  • C9B8C140-DCDE-491C-B55B-E2664775200D.jpeg
    C9B8C140-DCDE-491C-B55B-E2664775200D.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 953C19F9-B919-4CB9-AA99-5A7273A017B3.jpeg
    953C19F9-B919-4CB9-AA99-5A7273A017B3.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 33

Hulakatt

Reaction score
First order is to remove the paint. Glue will not stick to paint. I will sand this off to avoid damaging the original silver sealer. Stripper would remove quickly, but will damage the inner seal. So, a sanding we will go…
When I restored my Gretsches, I sanded so much. Just so much. All 3 drums had been covered in house paint, inside and out :(. I tried to save as much of the silver as possible but still sanded through some of it.

Here's a tip if you do need to touch up or repair the inner silver paint: it's just galvanized fence paint. Gretsch just used regular silver galvanized fence paint, the same stuff you can still buy today either in rattle cans or the brush on variety. No changes to the formula in the past 70 or 80 years either.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly , same here .
I’m a form and function kind of guy until form gets in the way of function . People will bark that I plugged my shells and used hinged brackets , 12.7 mm legs , drilled my bass drum and installed new spurs along with polishing my badges ……. Don’t care . These drum shells were going to be thrown out and the hardware scrapped . They sat untouched and unprotected in that attic for 49 years . They are getting the love and care that they deserve . A players kit that will get played which is what they were designed to do ….. and they ain’t getting gig’ed with they are going into a private drum booth .

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I have to determine whether or not the threads are done or just full of gunk on one lug. A screw won’t go in. I may have to do more surgery on that lug if it’s the former…
That's easy enough, once you know the screw size and thread pitch, just get a tap and tap it out. If there's gunk in the way, it'll clear out in a heartbeat.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I restored my Gretsches, I sanded so much. Just so much. All 3 drums had been covered in house paint, inside and out :(. I tried to save as much of the silver as possible but still sanded through some of it.

Here's a tip if you do need to touch up or repair the inner silver paint: it's just galvanized fence paint. Gretsch just used regular silver galvanized fence paint, the same stuff you can still buy today either in rattle cans or the brush on variety. No changes to the formula in the past 70 or 80 years either.

I have some that I painted the inside of my Gretsch Marquee drum with, so I am covered there. I plan on NOT covering the repairs inside the shell and dating them. That’s what I have done in repairing vintage instruments, as I believe in making repairs public knowledge. My repaired instruments actually earned more money than trying to cover up repairs. This is, of course, not a drum I will try to sell (unless I just hate the way it sounds). Just a practice of mine. Hopefully, I can keep the shell sealer intact!

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's easy enough, once you know the screw size and thread pitch, just get a tap and tap it out. If there's gunk in the way, it'll clear out in a heartbeat.
Use Evapo rust ! No substitute !!! It will clean up the springs and clear out the gunk and won’t hurt the chrome . Let them sit for a few hours or whatever and rinse them in blue dawn and warm water , they will be good to go .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Use Evapo rust ! No substitute !!! It will clean up the springs and clear out the gunk and won’t hurt the chrome . Let them sit for a few hours or whatever and rinse them in blue dawn and warm water , they will be good to go . Again , don’t use a substitute !

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have some that I painted the inside of my Gretsch Marquee drum with, so I am covered there. I plan on NOT covering the repairs inside the shell and dating them. That’s what I have done in repairing vintage instruments, as I believe in making repairs public knowledge. My repaired instruments actually earned more money than trying to cover up repairs. This is, of course, not a drum I will try to sell (unless I just hate the way it sounds). Just a practice of mine. Hopefully, I can keep the shell sealer intact!
I’m going to look and see if I can locate those slotted screws , if I can I will send them to you .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m going to look and see if I can locate those slotted screws , if I can I will send them to you .
Got if you need them . PM me and I’ll send them right out . Going to sleep for a few days . Later .

Attachments

• AD3A5BE5-5FF6-4D2C-8F9A-208D004213F2.jpeg
    AD3A5BE5-5FF6-4D2C-8F9A-208D004213F2.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 20

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone out there needs these send me a PM and I’ll send them to you .

Attachments

• 64B8BA7B-2FF9-429D-8E55-C766EDF83EA7.jpeg
    64B8BA7B-2FF9-429D-8E55-C766EDF83EA7.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17