DFO Master
Reaction score
Back to the patient in the Flusterbottom Order of drum cults:

Sanding with 220:
FB880FAC-5C18-45BC-866D-5AE75EBA122B.jpeg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Is this a lost part from a revolutionary war cannon?

Sure looks like it, eh?

Nope, just poorly applied rattle bomb paint on that poor, old drum. I know that I will not kill her mojo DESPITE sanding off poorly applied paint and plugging extra holes!

I choose to sand at a high grit due to the fact that the wood can pop out from nearly anywhere (e.g. where lugs were stuck on the paint) and I do not want to damage the wood with deep scratches from <220 grit paper. I am already getting to wood in some spots! The proof will be when I get this stripped, which will take a bit of time. I imagine she has not cracked a backbeat, whispered a ghost note or belted out a cross-stick in quite a few years; I am guessing she was a timbale for a short period, due to the mount holes added.

Rest assured, she will have a look more befitting, let alone more dignified in short order.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure looks like it, eh?

Nope, just poorly applied rattle bomb paint on that poor, old drum. I know that I will not kill her mojo DESPITE sanding off poorly applied paint and plugging extra holes!

I choose to sand at a high grit due to the fact that the wood can pop out from nearly anywhere (e.g. where lugs were stuck on the paint) and I do not want to damage the wood with deep scratches from <220 grit paper. I am already getting to wood in some spots! The proof will be when I get this stripped, which will take a bit of time. I imagine she has not cracked a backbeat, whispered a ghost note or belted out a cross-stick in quite a few years; I am guessing she was a timbale for a short period, due to the mount holes added.

Rest assured, she will have a look more befitting, let alone more dignified in short order.
The Doctor is IN.

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lookin' good, Doc. But isn't it part of your sworn duty as a PPP (percussive physician practitioner) to report the previous docs for negligence and patient endangerment? There needs to be some serious licence revoking going on here!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lookin' good, Doc. But isn't it part of your sworn duty as a PPP (percussive physician practitioner) to report the previous docs for negligence and patient endangerment? There needs to be some serious licence revoking going on here!

They did it under the understanding of making it useful for the time! I forgive them!

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That will be a fetching kit!
Hopefully they will continue to keep coming out the way I expect them too . I did a little trickery staining it . I wanted a little aged look in keeping with the vintage shells so I did the pre stain conditioner and then stained the shell , then I took a orbital sander and sanded it all off leaving the maple clear again but in doing this it left fine stain embedded in the fibers accenting the grain fields . Then I wacked it with pre stain conditioner and stained it again . It’s smooth as silk and has a shine to it . You could almost think it’s been hit with Satin .

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hopefully they will continue to keep coming out the way I expect them too . I did a little trickery staining it . I wanted a little aged look in keeping with the vintage shells so I did the pre stain conditioner and then stained the shell , then I took a orbital sander and sanded it all off leaving the maple clear again but in doing this it left fine stain embedded in the fibers accenting the grain fields . Then I wacked it with pre stain conditioner and stained it again . It’s smooth as silk and has a shine to it . You could almost think it’s been hit with Satin .

Not trickery, but a solid method!

Reactions: DBT

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not trickery, but a solid method!
The fun part ( sarcasm ) will come soon . 3 coats of instrument sealer with 320 and 400 grit in between coats and 10 coats of instrument lacquer with 600 , 1000 , 1500 and 2000 grit wet sanding . One coat dry overnight , second coat dry overnight then wet sand . Repeat . Then then it has to sit for a month before I do my 3 step rubbing and polishing process . There’s a reason special order drums take 10 months apparently .

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
The fun part ( sarcasm ) will come soon . 3 coats of instrument sealer with 320 and 400 grit in between coats and 10 coats of instrument lacquer with 600 , 1000 , 1500 and 2000 grit wet sanding . One coat dry overnight , second coat dry overnight then wet sand . Repeat . Then then it has to sit for a month before I do my 3 step rubbing and polishing process . There’s a reason special order drums take 10 months apparently .

It’s a labor of love. And being patient enough to not rush through and settle for okay results will show. That will be the fun part.

Reactions: DBT

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s a labor of love. And being patient enough to not rush through and settle for okay results will show. That will be the fun part.
You just stated the key words : not rush . It’s so easy and temping to rush , just have to resist and let it unfold . I’m really glad I let them sit sanded all that time and finally decided to stain them instead of wrapping them . The bonus is I can use the heads I normally use instead of the classic fit which I already bought . My one mistake . Luckily I hadn’t bought the 14’s and the 20’s but I have the 22’s , 16’s , 12’s and 13’s . Clears on the bottom and coated on top with a coated resonate bass and powerstroke batter . I guess I’ll list them .