header.nohb.html

This week in Dr. Dumpy’s OR…

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Personally I’ll be quite happy when I get to the sealer coats never mind the 10 coats of lacquer . Trying to match up stain color consistency on 5 shells from one shell to the next can be very frustrating and I’ve been doing staining / clear coats for 40 years . Bass drum had 3 do overs from scratch .
Respect...

3 do-overs, my my!! I do not have that kind of dedication... If it were me, by that time, that shell would either be through a wall or at a pro drum builder, costing me an arm and a leg!!

Kudos for sticking with it, I bet you'll have a special bond with them when they're done though....

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Respect...

3 do-overs, my my!! I do not have that kind of dedication... If it were me, by that time, that shell would either be through a wall or at a pro drum builder, costing me an arm and a leg!!

Kudos for sticking with it, I bet you'll have a special bond with them when they're done though....
That’s ultimately it in a nut shell , the bond with them and making them my own . For 8 months they sat all sanded down because deep down I didn’t want to wrap them so I just waited till I finally woke up one morning and caved in . I’m doing what Gretsch does but adding steps and taking every step further then they do like “antiquing” the shells , what that means is starting with the sanded clear shell then staining it and then sanding it all off with 120 grit , then 220 grit and finally back down to a 3M fine thin 150 grit pad . By doing this it pushes the stain into the grain hi lighting all the grain patterns . From there it gets Pre Stain Conditioner and then the stain . At that point a lot of hope goes into how the stain color comes out , adding coats or if it comes out to dark from scratch . Once they are all matched up they get 3 coats of instrument sealer with 2 dry sanding’s (320 & 400 grit ) in between . Then 10 coats of Gloss Lacquer with 4 wet sanding’s ( 600 , 1000, 1500 & 2000 grit ) in between . Shells sit for a month then the 5 step polishing starts . Tons of patience .

Last edited:

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
“Antiquing “

Attachments

• C89C0990-AEF5-4959-9131-DC4C354F008E.jpeg
    C89C0990-AEF5-4959-9131-DC4C354F008E.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 14
  • C6BEBB2E-DD07-4785-9DA0-719B7D79A7A4.jpeg
    C6BEBB2E-DD07-4785-9DA0-719B7D79A7A4.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 6477C16C-0013-41A0-969F-14A1992FFFAA.jpeg
    6477C16C-0013-41A0-969F-14A1992FFFAA.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 13

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well the contractor presently renovating my house having to redo almost everything I've put my mits on probably has a different opinion. But thanks for the peptalk nonetheless.

Over the years I've done a lot of things that require a certain amount of fine dexterity (mechanics, lutherie, electronics etc..) but most times ended up doing costly errors due to lapses in attention and various goofs.

If I were to, say, try and laquer finish an orphan shell, you can bet your bottom that one of my hair would just fall and stick to it at the least opportune moment, or I'd somehow accidently scratch it with a screwdriver... I wish it weren't so, but now that I'm nearing 50, I've accepted that I gave the craftsman thing a decent go and that I fortunately have other talents...

This is amongst the easiest of easy finishes that can be removed later. I can and have done oil finishes (guitars), and oil is also easy, but never quite finished. I am also going with a “found art” aesthetic, which literally means that I am going for perfectly imperfect. This is a player kit in every sense of the word: orphan shells, an unwrapped rewrap (bass drum), stripped lacquer shell (rack tom with so much snare rash it isn’t funny) and a raw floor tom shell that came from the Netherlands!

If something like a screwdriver nick happens, I am not going to cry. Just chalk it up to the player charm of this happy family of weird orphans.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also @DamnSingerAlsoDrums - @DBT is going the extra ten miles. I went the extra mile on my six lug Gretsch snare, but I am going for the most simple of simple finishes on the player Gretsch. My object is simple: get these drums playable in minimal time. Wasn’t the story on Charlie’s Natural set was stripping the wrap and a simple clear finish? I never quite knew.

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also @DamnSingerAlsoDrums - @DBT is going the extra ten miles. I went the extra mile on my six lug Gretsch snare, but I am going for the most simple of simple finishes on the player Gretsch. My object is simple: get these drums playable in minimal time. Wasn’t the story on Charlie’s Natural set was stripping the wrap and a simple clear finish? I never quite knew.
It’s the old adage “ keep it simple stupid” ….. the Virgo in me just can’t let it be .

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Start a Shop : Dr.Dumpy’s Drum Shop ~ “ We specialize in playable drums “ …. Drum blessing’s with every purchase .

Last edited:

DBT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Latest posts