Thomas Lang is such a beast.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
What do you even say to that? Crazy good. I love drummers who link actual parts together like that to create a groove ala Gavin Harrison.

Looks to me like Lang has refined his style considerably. Looks relaxed, no hitting the drums as hard, very few ostentatious fills, sticking to the groove.

Who is using their left side and feet more than that these days? I felt shades of El Negro Hernandez in that display.

That was a pleasure to watch.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Side note, I just watched his set up video for this PDP kit, those are all 8x7 toms tuned to a different pitch.
He demos the kit without an effects.
These drums sound damn good for the price

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Looks like the one up rack tom is 10" though...

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Effortless, though his performances surely are not, is the word which always comes to mind while watching Thomas. The man's dedication to his art is undeniable, and he reminds me of Virgil Donati in that regard.

That's a slick set-up as well.

Last edited:

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like the one up rack tom is 10" though...
Yeah, it's a single 10" rack tom, 16 & 18" floor toms, (4) 8" toms and a 20" bass drum as a gong drum on the left. Single 22" bass drum and an auxiliary timbalito snare set up to be played with his left foot. Crazy setup with all the pedals and aux hi hats.

prplx

Reaction score
I thought he was the best of the 5 drummers auditionning for Dream Theater. They all played the same kit and Lang just made it sound better and more powerful. His double stroke are insane too! Great player. Really enjoyed that thanks.

L300burn

Reaction score
Lang is amazing. I love watching his kit tours and just watching him play!

gmiller598

Reaction score
I thought he was the best of the 5 drummers auditionning for Dream Theater. They all played the same kit and Lang just made it sound better and more powerful. His double stroke are insane too! Great player. Really enjoyed that thanks.
Interestingly enough. I just listened to an interview with him on YouTube from a podcast on his experience in that audition.

Sounds like the whole reality show vibe of the process wasn’t made clear to them from the beginning and he thinks the band knew who they wanted all along. They just made it a dog and pony show for attention by showing they got the best drummers in the world to audition.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I spent a little time with Thomas. He told me he was really more interested in the process they were using to find a drummer, than he was joining the band.

Stretch

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Used to chat with Derek Roddy on his forum back in the day. He pretty much said the same thing, reality based and "almost in tears for dramatic effect" Mangini was the choice from the start.

prplx

Reaction score
Used to chat with Derek Roddy on his forum back in the day. He pretty much said the same thing, reality based and "almost in tears for dramatic effect" Mangini was the choice from the start.
It was pretty clear early on that they had a friendship and a connexion with Mangini that they didn't have woth the other. I am not surprised they already knew who won before they started. Mangini was the best choice for the band, but I still think Lang did the best audition, and was the most original in his vcovering their material.

Latest posts