Those Wonderful Vintage Italians

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Last year, I stumbled pretty much by accident on an old Italian cymbal branded Kashian. It was a 20" ride that I was able to negotiate
a good price on, so I took a chance and bought it.

What a pleasant surprise this cymbal was. Beautiful sweet tone, not to dark, the right amount of wash and the bell and the crash are spot on. It is different than any of the old Zildjian's I've heard, not like a K or an A really. So I went hunting for more and over the months and I completed a nice set with a perfect 16" crash, a heavy 18" crash/ride and 14" hi hats. I am on the hunt for the china, but that is a rare bird and might take a lifetime to find.

So does anyone play some of these made-by UFIP vintage cymbals with faux-Arabic names like Kashian, Stanople, Zenjian, Zanchi, or Pasha? These were all made for the big American drum companies like Slingerland, Leedy, Ludwig and Rogers. It must have been a lucrative deal for UFIP.

bjisteve

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Pasha hi-hats that I love. 13", around 450-500 grams each, and marked medium. Ha! They were cheap and I wouldn't sell them for multiples of the price.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. I bet those are really cool!
I had a 20" ride that weighed 1600ish grams. It was so weirdly dry. It had so much wonky stuff going on with the tone. But those really became beautiful behind guitars. Never should have sold it.

Do yours have any strange low/mid overtones that sound peculiar when played alone?

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I had a 20" ride that weighed 1600ish grams. It was so weirdly dry. It had so much wonky stuff going on with the tone. But those really became beautiful behind guitars. Never should have sold it.

Do yours have any strange low/mid overtones that sound peculiar when played alone?
They do have a cool factor to them!

I have to say, the ride is perfect to my ears, no crazy overtones. Just an even mellow sound with a pleasing wash and it does jazz pretty well. Now the 18" crash/ride does have those overtones. It's heavy at 1814g. A piece of tape underneath helps, but I haven't decided if I love the ride sounds of it. It's fairly bright sounding and quite different than the ride. I taped a couple of dimes to it and I like the sizzled, so maybe rivets on the future?The 16" crash and hats are both great and vintage sounding as you would expect being from the 70's.

JimmySticks

Reaction score

I don't blame you, they are kind of
I've got a pair of Pasha hi-hats that I love. 13", around 450-500 grams each, and marked medium. Ha! They were cheap and I wouldn't sell them for multiples of the price.
Yeah, they're different with a cool history, and they're getting harder to come by, so yeah, I would keep them as well

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Daaaaamn.....Too Hot...

There was a Romanian woman working at a 24 hr grocery store here that had the same eyes as her’s...as seen in the left picture..I couldn’t place who she looked like..for the longest time...but it finally clicked one day...Shazam!

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have an old UFIP ride that is a 21" cymbal. it had cracks but I liked the dark sound so I dremeled the cracks out of it. It looks like a geometry project but I enjoy playing it from time to time.

I have noticed most UFIPs have a spiral look near the hole. This is from the rotocasting technique. Another observation is they are often thicker near the hole and thinner towards the end of the cymbals. I have found many Italian cymbals to be brighter in tone than Zildjians. They have a nice bright stick sound as well. I had trouble enjoying the sound of them along with my predominantly-Zildjian setup, yet whenever I record with them they usually sound incredible.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I have an old UFIP ride that is a 21" cymbal. it had cracks but I liked the dark sound so I dremeled the cracks out of it. It looks like a geometry project but I enjoy playing it from time to time.

I have noticed most UFIPs have a spiral look near the hole. This is from the rotocasting technique. Another observation is they are often thicker near the hole and thinner towards the end of the cymbals. I have found many Italian cymbals to be brighter in tone than Zildjians. They have a nice bright stick sound as well. I had trouble enjoying the sound of them along with my predominantly-Zildjian setup, yet whenever I record with them they usually sound incredible.
Yeah, those Dremel marks must make for an interesting look! I'm kind of surprised to hear about the cracks since the rotocasting method is supposed to make for a stronger cymbal. but who knows, it might have been owned by a heavy hitter at one time.

Your right about sounding different than the Zildjians though, even though if you put 2 side by side, they look like clones. Mine are a bit brighter as well, especially my 18", but I find the tone and wash very pleasing.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
I recall seeing Kashian cymbals in Slingerland Catalogues
Yeah, UFIP made them for Slingerland and branded them Kashian. UFIP used these pseudo-Arabic names to cash in on the Turkish cymbal market in order to compete with Zildjian.

Kashian does sound a lot better than UFIP which is a terrible name for a cymbal maker.

JimmySticks

Reaction score
it's an acronym like F.I.A.T.
Unione Fabbricanti Italiani Piatti
Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino
And I owned one of those as well! :-D

I love all things Italian. Everything is built with passion, quirky for sure, but the passion!

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Zanchi is an Italian name. But they changed it to Zanki when they got tired of foreigners mispronouncing it
Yeah, it sure is.

Spizzichino as well, who was with UFIP early on I believe, but when he went on his own, he shortened it to Spizz for the same reason, nobody could, or took the time, to pronounce it right! :rolleyes:

But now, nobody would dare mispronounce his name!

Latest posts