Thought I landed myself a '60s Slingy 5 piece... but...

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
...maybe not. I really didn't scrutinize the drums closely til I got em home.

Quick back story - These belonged to a fella that I jammed with quite a bit at our local country jamborees. I never saw him play the drums because I knew him as a guitar player. He passed away after a long illness and one day his widow called saying he left behind 4 drum kits and she invited me to come and take a look. Saw these drums and they reminded me of my Tiger Pearl Slingerlands that I sold back in 2004 and regretted it. So, I bought this kit for two reasons
1. I liked the man who owned it, and if his widow didn't sell the drums, She'd have to move them to Florida 2. I assumed it was a complete set of Slingys... but maybe not (I still got a good deal)

Hoping the experts here can offer some guidance
sl1.jpeg

Kick 22 x 14"
slk1.jpeg slk2.jpeg slk3.jpeg slk5.jpeg slk4.jpeg slk6.jpeg slk7.jpeg slk8.jpeg

12" tom next post

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
13" tom sl13a.jpeg sl13b.jpeg
16" floor tom
sl16a (2).jpeg sl16b.jpeg sl16c.jpeg sl16e.jpeg sl16f.jpeg
I've never seen hardware like this on floor tom leg mounts. The owner was a machinist and I don't know if these are his creation or not. These thumbscrews are horrible

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what the question is.

But I am certain those are heckin nice drums. No boo boo.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
What makes you think they aren't Slingerland?

Looks to me like it was a 4 piece set from the early 60s (no badges on toms back then) that was "upgraded" to a five piece with the 12" tom and the double tom mount added at some point later in the 1960s.

The leg brackets are the pushbutton type. Looks like they may be missing parts on one of them. There should be a spring and an L shaped piece of metal inside. That is a "button" protruding through the hole, when you pushed it you could move the leg and then it would bind up when you released it and hold the leg at that position. If the innards are still there you can replace the button with a short 10-32 thread button head bolt. It is about the same size as the original button and will thread into the hole on the L shaped piece of metal. The legs are meant to stay in the brackets all the time and were straight so they could travel up and down. If you pull them out they are a real pain to get back in.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
I think he’s asking about the hardware on the floor and if the 13/16 are slingys

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
You Dont Stop: that bracket is for the rail consolette. The rail tube has notches that slide onto those "bumps" on the two tabs. So either a former owner added the post mount system, or the Rail mount. I doubt the bass drum came from the Slingerland factory with both.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Initial look to me is good. Correct stamps, shells look right (combo of choco and maple is not unheard of), that's a rail conso bracket, I believe the tom mount Setomatic is later and added likely based on the black/gold badges and date stamps. The tom mounts for the Setomatic are also later and added - should be spade mounts. The FT mounts look right although missing some parts and that screw is not right. Maxwell was making repros (not sure if still doing so) or find the "right " vintage ones. Mufflers are different but all look Slingy (the 2 pad is wrong and earlier).

I don't have the book handy, have owned and do own vintage Slingy, but I am by no means an "expert"..

I love, love, LOVE the creamy WMP! I'd say that's a killer vintage set.....play 'em and do that man proud!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since those are 1964's, the rail mount was first. That double tom mount didn't show up in chrome until '68/69. Looks like 13 tom has a mahogany inner ply while others are maple....I'd look for a 1963 date on the inside. Somewhere in that 63/64 time frame Slingerland went from mahogany inner ply to a maple one. During the transition you could get either in your kit. Chrome over brass hoops would be the norm here. They all look to be nice Slingy's to me other say the change in bass drum mounting (extra holes) and changing the toms from diamond plate mounts to those set-o-matic mounts. I think the mounting pattern for those is essentially the same. The 12" tom is the later one as it has the chocolate milk interior - it might have a badge as well as those were added around fall 1966. Floor tom legs would be the straight style prior to 1968. So you have the later style legs. Your shells look pretty well matched - not so easy for 55 yr old drums in WMP. In '64 the thick, knurled muffler knobs would be normal.

Last edited:

varatrodder

Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
COB snare for sure. Snares are later 70's models but look great.....and with original heads!

Anything else you forgot to mention??? This deal is getting better & better.....

Last edited: