Thoughts and opinions on Sonor Vintage Series Drums?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thoughts and opinions on Sonor Vintage Series Drums? I would love to hear from drummers out there that are owners and those who have had the chance to play and hear them in person.

dunnenrb

Reaction score
I had a set for about a year. They are on par with the top notch quality that Sonor is known for, I really enjoyed them in that sense. The toms sound GREAT and are pretty unique sounding.

What I could never vibe with was the kick. It had a modern punchy thing to it and that was it. I could never get the warmer/rounder sound out of it and I tried just about every head combo I could get my hands on. This might be an appeal to others.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a set for about a year. They are on par with the top notch quality that Sonor is known for, I really enjoyed them in that sense. The toms sound GREAT and are pretty unique sounding.

What I could never vibe with was the kick. It had a modern punchy thing to it and that was it. I could never get the warmer/rounder sound out of it and I tried just about every head combo I could get my hands on. This might be an appeal to others.
Did you have the matching snare drum? If so, how did you find it to sound and play?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also, is anyone using the bass drum mount and holder rather than flying the tom in on a stand? How do you like the bass drum mounted tom holder?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
"Radio King" (David) will probably be along shortly to address your Sonor Vintage series inquiries (once again.)

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know that David has them and loves them and we have already spoken about them. I was hoping to hear from a few more drummers out there playing these cool tubs.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. I find the bass drums to be the stars of the show with the Vintage Series. I'm amazed at how much presence and depth they have. My 20" sounds huge for its size, and the 22" is just about perfect. It sounds quite similar to the 24", which is why I've got the the 24" listed in the For Sale section. They are all three brilliant, to me. And don't get me started on the snares. ;-)

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I played one at a drum clinic and it sounded magnificent. The kick was low and boomy with a PS3 batter, the rack 12” was bright and cutting and the 16” warm and punchy. I loved them. I liked the matching snare but it was tuned way lower than my taste so I used a stave snare.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure you can even find a real 60,s vintage kit in good shape any more. I got lucky with my WMP kit yrs ago that just turned my head around. No weak spots anywhere, and tone you just don't hear in anything else. Cant explain that magic, but its there because every player I,ve worked with always made comments about the sound they give off. Truly different, and im so blessed to own them.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The best Sonor drums were the late 60s and early 70's teardrops. Sonor "Vintage" are nothing like them.
You keep saying that in thread after thread. How exactly are they not the same, shell-wise? No animosity. Just curious.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They're one of the kits I want. I played on a kit at Fork's and it had that vintage vibe but had far more depth than the WFLs and mahogany Premiers I have.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rob, I would be interested to hear the comments too. I know that when we all went to Chicago, the Sonor SQ1
The best Sonor drums were the late 60s and early 70's teardrops. Sonor "Vintage" are nothing like them.

Last edited:

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rob, I thought that the Vintage Series and SK1 series were in my top 3 drums sets out of the whole show. That bass drum on the Vintage kit was thunderous.

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As an owner of on OG Teardrop kit I'm really curious about these. There is something magical about my kit that I can never see letting them go...just wish I could get hold of a 12 & a 22...mine is 13, 16, 20...

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rob, I thought that the Vintage Series and SK1 series were in my top 3 drums sets out of the whole show. That bass drum on the Vintage kit was thunderous.
I would say that all of the Sonor kits at the Chicago Drum Show sounded great with killer bass drums and I was particularly attracted to the Vintage Series drum being a 24" and I have always though that 24" bass drums are the Optimum size for low end punch, OOMPH, and playability. To my ears, there is no better size for a bass drum.

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say that all of the Sonor kits at the Chicago Drum Show sounded great with killer bass drums and I was particularly attracted to the Vintage Series drum being a 24" and I have always though that 24" bass drums are the Optimum size for low end punch, OOMPH, and playability. To my ears, there is no better size for a bass drum.
Absolutely! 24/13/16” and I’m happy.