Thoughts and opinions on Sonor Vintage Series Drums?

What It Is

Reaction score
Whenever I think about a new set (on the hour, every hour), I always think about these drums. Instead of repeating the "maple" or "poplar" or "birch" merry-go-round of sets, perhaps it's time for some Sonor beech. With a 24"!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
You keep saying that in thread after thread. How exactly are they not the same, shell-wise? No animosity. Just curious.
The Sonor teardrops, late 60's to early 70's, had six ply thin shells with no re-rings, similar to Gretsch. They also had lightweight holders and spurs, so the shells could resonate freely. The new Vintage series has heavier spurs and tom holders. They have replicated the shells pretty well, but I suspect that they're thicker. I could be wrong. I played a new Vintage set a while back, and they sounded good, but I could tell a difference.
It's hard to explain. The late 60's--early 70's teardrops were just magical.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear you, though I'd venture that the modern Vintage shells are pretty close to the original straight-walled shells in appearance and sound; they're still thin 6mm German beech shells, though they are now 9 thinner plies of beech instead of 6 thicker plies. They do utilize the familiar roundover edges.

I agree with you that the modern tom holders are overly bulky, especially as compared to the original. I'm guessing it was a cost-cutting maneuver, because it's the same basic design as the SQ2/Prolite/SQ1 tom holders. The modern version doesn't penetrate the shell like the old ratchet arms, so that's likely a plus. Can't say for sure about the spurs being heavier than the originals, but they are a very simple gull-wing design, and certainly not heavy. I'm guessing the teardrop lugs are similar, though the new ones have the plastic insert "Tune Safe" feature.

It would be interesting if you could spend some time with the modern version, tuning and such. I'd like to think you'd be able to dial in the sound and feel you remember without too much effort.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear them/play them side-by-side, blind folded... I wonder who would be able to truly hear/feel the difference? I will be mounting the rack tom on a Gauger RIMS isolation mount, so the tom bracket won't make a difference sonically. I just like that little "give" or "bounce" feel that I have gotten used to over the past 35 years. I should have my kit in the next week or so...

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I mentioned the tom mounts being bulky, I was referring to the tom holder. I should have been more clear. The tom brackets on the toms themselves are just fine, though they can be a little "grabby" with the FT legs.

sonor-600-series-vintage-single-tom-holder.jpg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
When I mentioned the tom mounts being bulky, I was referring to the tom holder. I should have been more clear. The tom brackets on the toms themselves are just fine, though they can be a little "grabby" with the FT legs.

View attachment 409555
David, I misunderstood you, but I do agree. I think that the single tom mount is a little silly to be telescoping from the upper assembly into the lower assembly...that should all be just one piece, IMHO.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
David, I misunderstood you, but I do agree. I think that the single tom mount is a little silly to be telescoping from the upper assembly into the lower assembly...that should all be just one piece, IMHO.
Exactly, Rob. A one-piece design would be much more efficient, but for whatever reason, they chose the same BD mounting system they use on all their other lines. Sturdy reliable mounts, no doubt, but they kind of clash with streamlined sensibility of the Vintage Series. Since my bass drums are virgin, I use either a flat-base snare stand or the 4000 double cymbal stand.

20180928_204742.jpg

20190301_201925 1.jpg

Latest posts