Thoughts and opinions on Sonor Vintage Series Drums?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know, it sucks that you have to resize every photo now...even on my camera's lowest-res setting, I have to shrink.
Totally! It's such a pain in the arse that I just don't post pictures these days since the big overhaul of this site.

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will. My pictures are all hi-res and for some reason, this site no longer can handle nice, hi-res pictures. They simply won't load up. Also, I am having the tom mount installed onto the bass drum (it is currently virgin), so I figured I would wait until the kit is completely complete as I will play them. If you have any other questions for me, PM me. If you really want to see some cell phone pictures, I will PM them to you. BTW, don't forgo getting a matching snare. I really like mine and it plays very well. It has a nifty strainer too. Everything is just so well engineered with these drums.
thank you very much!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Treviso,

Thank you for posting those pics.
That kit looks absolutely fantastic.
Congrats on your latest grab. :thumbright:

Elvis

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I unpacked and set up a brand new Vintage series kit for Benny Greb when we did a clinic with him a few years back.

The build quality is impeccable and flawless. Beautifully made drums. The drums sound killer, the floor toms were to die for.

Congrats on your purchase Treviso! Great drums.
I unpacked and set up a brand new Vintage series kit for Benny Greb a few years back too.He kept me in stitches & yeah, the drums sounded magnificent & "build quality is impeccable and flawless", as you put it. Huge bottom end. This was a much better way to hear these drums than in a store, semi-tuned or in a video, highly processed. Last year I set up another brand new Vintage series kit for Steve Smith. Again, they sounded fantastic. Mr. Smith was nowhere near as funny though.

IMG_1513.jpg

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I unpacked and set up a brand new Vintage series kit for Benny Greb a few years back too.He kept me in stitches & yeah, the drums sounded magnificent & "build quality is impeccable and flawless", as you put it. Huge bottom end. This was a much better way to hear these drums than in a store, semi-tuned or in a video, highly processed. Last year I set up another brand new Vintage series kit for Steve Smith. Again, they sounded fantastic. Mr. Smith was nowhere near as funny though.

View attachment 411669
Benny is such a great, down to earth guy and a wonderful human being. He’s an old soul for sure and yes, very funny and a joy to hang out with.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's an awesome share, my friend! Thank you so much. BTW, I have been playing the snot out of the Pearl 70's COB I got from you a couple years back. Great drum!
Man, I was thinking of you & that snare minutes ago when i initially responded! Glad you're playing the snot out it! I'm always happy when gear that I sell ends up in able hands & is out there gigging & recording instead of ending back up in dingy basements!

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Woohoo! Rob those are so gorgeous! I remember the bass drum on those Vintage Series moving the furniture around at the Chicago Drum Show. That thing had an extra scoop of THUMP!! Love that Sonor Beech baby!

Excellent grab my friend and I am very happy for you. Congratulations!!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Woohoo! Rob those are so gorgeous! I remember the bass drum on those Vintage Series moving the furniture around at the Chicago Drum Show. That thing had an extra scoop of THUMP!! Love that Sonor Beech baby!

Excellent grab my friend and I am very happy for you. Congratulations!!
Thank you, Mike! I am really loving these tubs. Hard to put into words how much I like them!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Any other owners out there? I would love to hear your thoughts regarding the drums. What heads you are using, ported vs unproved kick, etc...

johnthedrum

Reaction score
Evening chaps. Just thought I’d chime in. I’m about to take delivery of a set of Sonor Vintage-20,10,14 in gorgeous red oyster-in fact they’re should be here tomorrow
I’ve sold my vintage Ludwig Club dates to make room for them-just delivered them tonight-so, until my Sonors arrive, I’m kit less for
CF97D547-6F75-411D-865E-40EAB51B8E19.jpeg
the first time in over 55 years of playing!
Here’s the shop’s pic of my kit. I’ll write a review once I’ve set ‘em up, but can I say it was seeing (& hearing) Benny Greb up close at a clinic 3 weeks ago that did it for me
CF97D547-6F75-411D-865E-40EAB51B8E19.jpeg

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Evening chaps. Just thought I’d chime in. I’m about to take delivery of a set of Sonor Vintage-20,10,14 in gorgeous red oyster-in fact they’re should be here tomorrow
I’ve sold my vintage Ludwig Club dates to make room for them-just delivered them tonight-so, until my Sonors arrive, I’m kit less for View attachment 416734 the first time in over 55 years of playing!
Here’s the shop’s pic of my kit. I’ll write a review once I’ve set ‘em up, but can I say it was seeing (& hearing) Benny Greb up close at a clinic 3 weeks ago that did it for meView attachment 416734
They are great drums. You won't regret swapping the Club dates for them.

johnthedrum

Reaction score
So... got the kit, sorted it ( after a fashion),& gigged it at the weekend: amazed at the Tom sound from the stock heads,& the bass drum ( with PS3 fiberskyn batter & the supplied reso) sounds far better than I’d hoped. Very happy crappy so far... will a head upgrade on the toms make a difference? I’m thinking coated empowers as batters?
Here are a couple of pics from the gig....oh,& so impressed with the perfect balance pedal too.

Attachments

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
So... got the kit, sorted it ( after a fashion),& gigged it at the weekend: amazed at the Tom sound from the stock heads,& the bass drum ( with PS3 fiberskyn batter & the supplied reso) sounds far better than I’d hoped. Very happy crappy so far... will a head upgrade on the toms make a difference? I’m thinking coated empowers as batters?
Here are a couple of pics from the gig....oh,& so impressed with the perfect balance pedal too.
Beautiful drums, John! Tell me about the tom holder? Do you love it? I bought one, but my 24 is currently virgin. I am going to have someone drill mine out.

Latest posts