Thoughts on a change of kits...

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably senseless to ask, but thought of any place this would be a good spot to get some opinions. I have two kits currently and both of them I thought I would never sell. One is a Ray era Ayotte in a stunning color that I love in 10,12,14,16 and a 18x24 bass drum. It is a virgin bass drum which I love as well. I also bought this kit from Crash on here which makes it kind of cool. The second kit is a Breen Blue Jenkins Martin kit in 10,12,14,16, 15x24 bass drum. I absolutely love these shells. Didn't really care about the blue but it has grown on me, but the bass drum is signed by Jerry Jenkins which means something to me although I never met the man.

With that back ground I have only been playing a 12,16,24 setup for years now, so I have a lot of extra drums sitting around I don't use. My dream kit, I even had Josh at INDe price it out for me quite a while ago, is a natural fiberglass collaboration kit with Jenkins Martin shells and INDe hardware. If I sold both of my current kits I may be able to get the collaboration kit with fiberglass shells 24" bass drum and one of Josh's wood shelled matt kits with a 26" bass drum for the price of my two big kits.

Big mistake, or change is good, go for it you only live once. I have sold several very rare kits in order to experience something else and done it numerous times with cars. I don't have the funds to buy the dream kits first and I have never really liked having more than two kits. I know only I can decide this but thought there would be some on here who would get the magnitude of such a weighty decision (that being said with intended sarcasm).

Appreciate any input. Thanks

Attachments

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
drums are just dimensions carry as many as you need to express yourself (that's all i got..) sell the rest and/or keep a spare set in case you are/ want to be in two places at once (I got nothing to add..)

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’d keep what you have, which is very cool by the way. The novelty always wears off, the desire for something new is persistent and nagging. Justification abounds. And, if you succumb that scenario plays out all over again.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
drums are just dimensions carry as many as you need to express yourself (that's all i got..) sell the rest and/or keep a spare set in case you are/ want to be in two places at once (I got nothing to add..)
That is part of what is driving this thinking. I have been really pairing down what I like/need to play. Carrying my 12" tom to a gig now is being really fancy. I am playing the bass/snare and 16" floor tom most the time.
Thanks for the thought,
Craig

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We can only say what we would do in the same situation. When I'm faced with these kinds of choices, I always remind myself that I've owned some lusted-over merchandise in several hobbies of mine, and not once did the reality equal the dream. Oh yeah, I was thrilled with each purchase and felt a great deal of pride of ownership. But eventually, every item loses its gleam and its ability to excite.

I'm sure you understand the point. Nonetheless, I don't regret a single purchase I've made. Nor do I regret selling it.

In the end, I have just one piece of advice: if you decide to do a deal on a new kit, make that deal work so that you do not need to sell the Ayottes. The "Ray Era" drums are phenomenal and hard to find. I wouldn't let them get out of my site. Just me.

GeeDeeEmm

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We can only say what we would do in the same situation. When I'm faced with these kinds of choices, I always remind myself that I've owned some lusted-over merchandise in several hobbies of mine, and not once did the reality equal the dream. Oh yeah, I was thrilled with each purchase and felt a great deal of pride of ownership. But eventually, every item loses its gleam and its ability to excite.

I'm sure you understand the point. Nonetheless, I don't regret a single purchase I've made. Nor do I regret selling it.

In the end, I have just one piece of advice: if you decide to do a deal on a new kit, make that deal work so that you do not need to sell the Ayottes. The "Ray Era" drums are phenomenal and hard to find. I wouldn't let them get out of my site. Just me.

GeeDeeEmm
I agree with this, what ever I did would not include selling that Ayotte kit. Lot of Mojo right there.

dsop

Reaction score
I have no love for Ayotte's quick-release lugs. I would sell everything, as long as you can get a fair price for it. Then get what will excite you. They're just drums.

dirtysicks

Reaction score
I know you may not use the extra toms but I would keep both kits for the versatility in setup, for the mojo of the Ray kit, and also based on your love you spoke about with both kits. You had all love and nothing negative to say about either kit. I’d hate to sell 10 amazing drums for less than I paid just to buy 6 amazing drums... I’d just buy a snare to ease my G.A.S. Lol

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
When you're in the drum collecting hobby, it can be hard to let some prized items go. I've got 3 kits and several snares. I play and gig them all, but obviously I don't NEED that many drums. The older I get, the more I think about selling off all but my favorite kit and a couple of snares, then focus in on one nice, versatile set of cymbals. When I hit my 60s and retirement (in another 10 years or so), I will probably do just that. Seller's remorse is a real thing - yeah, they are only drums, but we do get attached to the darn things. Just think it through before you make the move, and be happy with the dream kit when the time comes.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the thoughts. I have been mulling this over for about a year. I do think the Ayottes are something I cannot really replace, but I like the sound of the Jenkins Martin shells better. I like the idea of keeping the Ayottes and trying to switch out the JM kit for the smaller JM kit especially if I could get them to build a 15x26" bass drum.

I have been clearing out stuff over the last few years and have my snares down to 4 that I really am attached to and really satisfied with the current cymbal situation.

Again thanks for the thoughts.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wish I could help but the idea of me ever having a bass drum larger than a 20" scares me and my aging back and you are talking of a 26" .... my current one is 18" and that does it for me. I got over attachment to things through sheer will power and then financial concerns took over after I retired form any full time job and sold what I had to and bought only what I needed. We all have different circumstances, desires etc. and I can only suggest this motto I once read ..." When faced with two alternatives, take the third". I always understood that to mean do nothing and stay with status quo.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For me it's a no-brainer, get what you WANT and desire NOW, as long as you can swing it comfortably (obvioujsly). I don't mean to turn this to all about me at all, but I can totally relate--I have been fortunate enough to be able to currently own every type/size kit I could EVER want/need.

Now, that said, I don't really have any other hobbies beyond drums/music. I don't hunt/fish/golf/smoke/drink/gamble/restore cars/have a boat/etc...so that probably really helps LOL! I currently own 6 kits and dozens of cymbals/percussion goodies and it's taken a few decades, but I'm totally satisfied with everything and have EXACTLY what I have always wanted, and tbh, it really feels GREAT!

I swear, even if I hit the damn powerball, I seriously doubt I would add anything else to my collection. I've thought about trying to downsize a bit, but I know I would take a bath $$$-wise and wouild probably regret selling it soon after, plus I have VERY little invested in 2 of my 6 kits, and since I luckily have ample storage room, I'm loving ALL my gear and it's so nice to have multiple options for kits to gig with, and I essentially have a couple shell banks (defacto) which makes it fun to mix and match. Between maple/luan/acrylic/double-headed/concert toms/deep snares/shallow snares/metal/wood snares/6 inch splashes up to a 21 AAX Raw Bell Ride/windchimes/cupchimes/jam blocks/cowbells/tons of heads on the shelves, I'm DONE collecting stuff--it's time to PLAY and ENJOY what I have!!!

So get it while you can (to quote Janis Joplin!!)

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am AWFUL for advice on this subject, I say... SELL, SELL, SELL then BUY, BUY, BUY!

But I just enjoying buying and selling drums so thats just me. Well, though in full discloser, lately I have done a WHOLE lot more buying that selling!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Probably senseless to ask, but thought of any place this would be a good spot to get some opinions. I have two kits currently and both of them I thought I would never sell. One is a Ray era Ayotte in a stunning color that I love in 10,12,14,16 and a 18x24 bass drum. It is a virgin bass drum which I love as well. I also bought this kit from Crash on here which makes it kind of cool. The second kit is a Breen Blue Jenkins Martin kit in 10,12,14,16, 15x24 bass drum. I absolutely love these shells. Didn't really care about the blue but it has grown on me, but the bass drum is signed by Jerry Jenkins which means something to me although I never met the man.

With that back ground I have only been playing a 12,16,24 setup for years now, so I have a lot of extra drums sitting around I don't use. My dream kit, I even had Josh at INDe price it out for me quite a while ago, is a natural fiberglass collaboration kit with Jenkins Martin shells and INDe hardware. If I sold both of my current kits I may be able to get the collaboration kit with fiberglass shells 24" bass drum and one of Josh's wood shelled matt kits with a 26" bass drum for the price of my two big kits.

Big mistake, or change is good, go for it you only live once. I have sold several very rare kits in order to experience something else and done it numerous times with cars. I don't have the funds to buy the dream kits first and I have never really liked having more than two kits. I know only I can decide this but thought there would be some on here who would get the magnitude of such a weighty decision (that being said with intended sarcasm).

Appreciate any input. Thanks
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just send your JM 24/12/16 shells to INDe and have the hardware put on and sell everything else off.
If you're questioning if you should sell the Ayotte kit, maybe you'll find some comfort in the realization that you can have the greatest drum kit in the history of music, but if you're not getting any enjoyment out of it anymore, its no good to you.
How are you supposed to enjoy something you don't want to play on anymore?
Sell it so someone else can enjoy it and move onto whatever flips your lid.
I know, sounds a bit shallow, but its the truth.
I've wanted to sell my Ludwig kit a hundred times in the past. Pure laziness is pretty much the only thing that's really stood in my way, but that kit has been packed away in bags for about 4 years now, too...and lately, I've been thinking, what good are they really doing me?
Sometimes, in order to find the path to happiness, you simply have to move on.
Good luck. =)

Elvis

Last edited:

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had not thought of converting the JM kit to an INDe' kit. That is an interesting idea to research.

The Ayottes are an amazing set of drums and I couldn't believe when I was able to score them. I sold a few kits to get them as well. I am really identifying with the sound of the JM shells more and have been for awhile. I still love playing the Ayottes, but JM kit has been the goto for the last few years. Combine the sound with the durability of the fiberglass and it is a win.

Will have to see if the INDe lugs will line up with the JM lug holes. Don't know how easy it would be to sell 10" and 14" blue JM toms but that would be easy enough to try out.

I had a set of Yamaha Recording Customs, that many say are the greatest, and those I never bonded with at least with Ayottes they have been very dear to me for a long time. Just thinking it could be time to turn them into something else.

Really appreciate all the thoughts.

Craig

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Where are all these kits coming from Craig?!
Last time I saw you, you had the Gretsch Centennial kit and the Pat Travers Slingerland kit.....you've been busy, young man! ;)
...but getting back to your dilemma, I noticed that you seemed to wanna ditch one JM kit for another of identical sizes.
I suppose INDe could plug the existing holes, if necessary (or maybe working on your kit will cause INDe to re-invent their lug so that it features adjustable hole spacing!), but when I read that, it just seemed slightly impractical.
I don't see why trying to sell the 10 and 14 toms would be difficult. Any fan of JM drums would probably jump at the chance to have them (of course, I've never seen that finish before, maybe I shouldn't speak so quickly! ;) ).
I don't know, to me it seemed pretty cut and dry...but you seem to still like the Ayotte's too (in your opening post, it seemed to me that you weren't too excited by them anymore) and that complicates matters.
I think you might have to think about how attached you are to the Ayotte's. They're great drums, I've played on a set of Ray-era drums before and they were fantastic, but you seem to be playing the JM's all the time, so maybe that's the tale of the tape.
Your next step might be further consultation with INDe, to see if they'll mod your existing JM kit, to include filling the existing holes, if need be.

Elvis

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was a long time ago. It is kind of what I do and have done with cars. Buy and sell a few here and there and slowly upgrading. Kind of makes the hobby pay for itself. At least mostly. That Gretsch Centennial kit was something special! Never really loved the sound of it but it was gorgeous. That Slinger/Leedy kit had some super cool juju behind it. I never did find out the real story on why or who had it built. Played that kit for quite a while.

I am going to look into the INDe lug idea. I would love to try and talk JM into building a 26" bass drum to to the INDe collaboration kit around.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I am going to look into the INDe lug idea. I would love to try and talk JM into building a 26" bass drum to to the INDe collaboration kit around.
J-M presently does not have a 26” mandrel, so that may be a dilemma for you. :wink:

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know they don't currently have a way to do a 26. I teased them a little bit on their Facebook page but haven't asked directly if there really was any chance of them getting one. I am guessing the answer is no, but if we are talking dream kits that would be it. I am not in any kind of desperate hurry.

Latest posts