Thoughts on Craviotto kits

FrankF

Reaction score
I’ve been toying with the idea of ordering a Craviotto private reserve curly maple kit 22/13/16/14. I known it’s a lot of money but does anyone own any Craviotto and what are your thoughts. This might just be a fantasy of mine, not sure. What do you think?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have had several Craviotto kits. They are fantastic drums, but very expensive. Have you considered owning a Summit Solid Shell drumset? They are beautifully crafted and probably half the price. I have a gorgeous curly maple kit that's amazing.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Love mine! I went big with my 24/13/16 with matching 14x7 snare. Sure I get JDA’s comment as they truly are works of art. Great drums. This is my third kit. My first was a mahogany 22/13/16 and then the same sizes in curly maple which Rob (Treviso1) picked up from me. I got rid of the other two because I got tired of band mates accidentally bumping into them. I know stupid.
I’m big believer in gigging with all my kits. If I’m not playing the kits out, they’re gone. These drums really love coated Ambassador’s with a PS3 on the bass drum. They have a beautiful warmness to them from behind the kit.
I’ve told my wife to commit me to loony bin if I mention selling these.

6B7D0D91-9694-4FC3-9CCF-DEE0B3FE6E64.jpeg

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would buy them for the sound performance. They are great sounding kits.
I'm not a fan of fancy expensive finishes.
The kit Dan has (above) is kind of their standard finish. If you could find a kit that was made when Johnny C was alive and still overseeing production? That would be my thing.
I play Noble & Cooley, which might be just as good. I've played both, but never A/B'ed them.

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would not want to be in the new kit market right now. There has never been a time when there was so much high end, beautiful gear available.
I really wouldn't know where to begin considering im from the old school when we had a handful of choices, and that was it.
Craviottos certainly are at the top of the list!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had the chance to play a Craviotto kit, but if I were in the market for a high-end kit, they would be at the top of my list for sure. They're beautiful, well built and sound beautiful from everything I've heard.

Since guys are mentioning other brands, Pork Pie has the beautiful finishes you want, great sound and solid craftsmanship. And besides, I need some company! I think I'm the only PP player here! :crybaby: :lol:

bbunks

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new BB/45 Cherry kit - 13, 16, 22 - with a similar era 6.5x14 snare - from Steve Maxwell in 2014.

I'm happy with the kit and have used it for gigs as well as playing at home.

If you want to talk in detail, PM me and we can set up some phone time.

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't own one... because I'm an idiot.

In January of 2010 I played a walnut Craviotto kit at Steve Maxwell's in New York. My wife Jackie and my friend Gene were with me, Gene is a great drummer. I played it while he listened and then he played it while I listened. We switched back and forth...

Gene, Jackie and I still talk about that kit. Nothing else has begun to approach it, not even close.

Which brings me to the point of me being an idiot. I didn't buy it because of what it cost. That could be a reasonable explanation, except for the fact that I've spent a helluva lot of money on drums in the past twelve years. Currently I own a Gretsch USA Custom shell bank, a big DW Collector's Series kit, over forty snare drums, including several Radio Kings, two Black Beauties, a DW Edge, a DW Super Solid, a DW Supersonic, two DW/Craviottos, a Noble & Cooley SS, two Gretsch Progressive Jazz, a Gretsch Solid Maple, a Gretsch Bell Brass, a Gretsch Stanton Moore solid Birdseye Maple, a Dunnett Titanium, and a Joyful Noise Beacon Bronze. (We won't even get into cymbals, hardware, cases, PA equipment, lighting, basses, bass amps...)

I could have bought a Craviotto kit by now, probably more than one, maybe even a Craviotto shell bank...

But, I didn't.

(Because I'm an idiot.)

So, if you...

A.) Want one.

B.) Can afford one.

C.) Are not an idiot.

I recommend that you buy one.

Last edited:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a book called "Idiots guide to buying drums"...I should get it.
My last purchase will be a solid walnut kit, but they are very hard to find, not to mention having to re mortgage the house.
Tama has one that looks magnificent, but for $$$$$$$????

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I've got an older walnut kit (20, 15, 12) with 30º edges and it's truly special. Nothing really comparable. If it's in your budget, go for it.

BTW, I gig mine regularly. I'm super careful with them, but any little dings I get (I've got one or two after 10 years) are just honest patina. I use something else if I'm playing outside, in a sketchy venue, or if the drums need to sit in a hot car all day while I'm at work. My bandmates know they will die if they damage them due to carelessness. They keep a wide berth.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just sold this recently. It was kit #41, the very first Black Walnut kit Johnny Craviotto made. 24,13,16,18, 6.5x14. It was hand delivered to me at Huber & Breese by Johnny himself back in 2007. The woodgrain was absolutely stunning on this kit and Steve Maxwell himself commented on the beauty of these drums.

IMG_20210214_151623954.jpg
IMG_20210214_145150745.jpg
IMG_20210214_153524518.jpg
IMG_20210214_153123914.jpg
IMG_20210214_153209523.jpg
IMG_20210214_153221523.jpg
IMG_20210214_153306797.jpg

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my lottery numbers come in the first toy I'm getting is a Craviotto solid mahogany kit. I've played Craviottos at a few NAMM shows and will agree with the prevailing opinion on this thread that nothing else sounds like one.

dingaling

Reaction score
I’m a sonor guy so I’d say check out an SQ2 also. But cravi’s are also amazing top end drums.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Craviotto make wonderful drums but they are a large investment . They sound wonderful and IMHO you really need to dig everything about the kit to dole out that kind of money for a Craviotto kit .

Treviso mentioned Summit drums and they are an excellent option of money is a big hurdle in consideration of a steambent kit . The Summit drums are far more reasonably priced and the quality is equal at least to Craviotto .