Thoughts on Craviotto kits

jhall

Reaction score
I've heard Craviottos are prone to detuning during playing ... Anyone know first-hand if that's true? I've heard them played live (one of the times by M Gilmore, who tuned his toms A LOT during the set) but never had the opportunity myself

That said, I have a Summit solid mahogany snare that I love more every time I play it ... and a Slingy solid shell snare that I've never quite fallen for. YMMV, as always ...
Snare drums (of all makes/models) can detune under playing. I haven’t experienced that happening with my kicks/toms.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Snare drums (of all makes/models) can detune under playing. I haven’t experienced that happening with my kicks/toms.
Although with Craviotto its quite extreme.

I heard (and experienced witha few models myself) the stories of loosing lugs almost only with Craviotto.

Especially for such a price, that is just not ok.

That is why I always loved the DW Crav’s with turret lugs better.

Not only held the tuning much better, they also were much more affordable (and most are signed so touched by the man himself :laughing6: )

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it stands to reason- just the basic concept - the directness of a solid shell snare- would transfer to every drum in the set. I just unsure how desirable- or hey it isn't desirable to everyone.
Ply drum may have more "spread"...

stainless steel, any one-piece shell- would share the "oneness" that's what
I’d love to be in the room when you played a kit for the 1st time .
I cried ……..

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no way; I need some "flex'.
I already been thru the marimba.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have been around a set somewhere DWorld store bitd in pitts.
Just not my cup of tea Dawg

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have been around a set somewhere DWorld store bitd in pitts.
Just not my cup of tea Dawg
That’s fine , all I’m saying is one can’t judge a kit if they haven’t actually played it , right ?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you ain't getting me off the couch dawg drop it
I wasn't interested when they first came out I'm not interested now I was slightly interested when they sent the green Catalog with the reduced price Diamond lug version snare but that's as close as I got.
Solid shells go back to the 1900's. I need at least 1965..
It's like "the old K con" but in drums not interested in solid shell 1-ply 1- board bass and toms;
primitive. I need at least 1965. I can stretch back to 1948. But nothing further back than that k.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great kits. Great sound. Great builder. Top shelf gear. If I was doing big gigs on a regular basis I would def have myself one (or two) If you can’t run with the big dogs stay in the porch.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need at least 1965. I can stretch back to 1948. But nothing further back than that k?
If you want modern, why stop at 1965? Travel forward to 1985 and go full Remo Acousticon! Honestly, Joe, don't try to logically quantify your desires... You like Gretsch and don't think a Craviotto kit would be worth it. I like modern Zildjians and don't think any old K is worth more than my (nearly brand-new) K-Con Bounce. We like what we like; it doesn't have to be based in logic, it's all about emotion. That's the essence of music. Logic has no place when we're discussing love.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
because it's somewhat the modern age beginnings +/- (prolly earlier)
go full Remo Acousticon!
masteredge were on my radar screen..hmmm venwood...Dollar Bill Green Idris called them...
I like modern Zildjians and don't think any old K is worth
I agree with that and is why all my current cymbals are a modern Turkish make. (and ) I think the today's prices owners ask- are an insult- absolute insult- to fellow drummers) btw) So, I did my 20 years with old Z. I don't and they don't owe me not a thing : D
it's all about emotion
I agree. Objectively I still think (not stink took my bi-weekly shower last eve) there's a character (constant) to solid shells I'm not- wouldn't be- over time- content/ happy with.
can't I die with the ply in peace. Guess not that's ok. Keep it coming.
Lions can take it

I like that there are two sides to everything -that way you can see- both sides.
I can crash any mono (no pun) - opinion party

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...there's a character (constant) to solid shells I'm not- wouldn't be- over time- content/ happy with...
I get it, and yet I think that very same character (constant) to solid shells is what I find so satisfying about Craviottos. That's strictly emotion.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You like it in a snare? Or a whole set. I have snare for you if you like ..in all snare.
Now you gotta first like Pearl (altho I don't mean Minnie altho she wasn't bad)
This looks/seems like it's never been played (unlike some DFO members I could name ; )

Lookie->

now watch it'll be sold in the next 20 minutes)
Maybe these weren't that good I don't know +/-

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
because it's somewhat the modern age beginnings +/- (prolly earlier)

masteredge were on my radar screen..hmmm venwood...Dollar Bill Green Idris called them...

I agree with that and is why all my current cymbals are a modern Turkish make. (and ) I think the today's prices owners ask- are an insult- absolute insult- to fellow drummers) btw) So, I did my 20 years with old Z. I don't and they don't owe me not a thing : D

I agree. Objectively I still think (not stink took my bi-weekly shower last eve) there's a character (constant) to solid shells I'm not- wouldn't be- over time- content/ happy with.
can't I die with the ply in peace. Guess not that's ok. Keep it coming.
Lions can take it

I like that there are two sides to everything -that way you can see- both sides.
I can crash any mono (no pun) - opinion party
I don’t have a dog in the fight , I’m just curious how you know a solid shell kit sounds when you’ve never played one .
Have you heard one played in a venue that you get your opinion from ?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a dog in the fight , I’m just curious how you know a solid shell kit sounds when you’ve never played one .
Have you heard one played in a venue that you get your opinion from ?
I have Magical Instincts Dawg.
don't waste your time being curious. Believe what you believe and believe it.
But don't come at me any stronger than where you are about now : ) thank you.
I've heard enough of them - been around enough- to know I don't want need or desire to add to my arsenal. I'm not going to go out of my way to add one.
I can hear what they sound like.
Plus I don't like tube lugs.

:blackeye:

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Magical Instincts Dawg.
don't waste your time being curious. Believe what you believe and believe it.
But don't come at me any stronger than where you are about now : ) thank you.
I've heard enough of them - been around Radio kings- to know I don't want need or desire to add to my arsenal. I'm not going to go out of my way to add one.
I can hear what they sound like.
Plus I don't like tube lugs.

:blackeye:
Im coming on strong ?? You can speak your mind here and ask questions but I cant ?
I just don’t think you can base your opinion on how a snare sounds …

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im coming on strong ?? You can speak your mind here and ask questions but I cant ?
I just don’t think you can base your opinion on how a snare sounds …
But you're asking ME. I'm offering and am entitled to my opinion . You can't accept it. Whereas I can accept anyone's opinion on the subject with there still being room for mine.
You can't seem to accept my opinion. That's too bad man. Want me to say it again..Don't make me say It again. I hear a wood block mono-tone

Now. Knowing wood. It kind of makes sense doesn't it? Knock Knock who's there? Monotone. Unchangable (except tension the head) unbendable monotone..
See you got me making jokes.
I don't need that, desire that nor attracted to it.

Last edited:

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I question/ am not sure/ not entirely convinced the Concept of an entire solid shell set is sonically desirable
(nothing to do with the money)
I hear a set of (what I inflammatorily call ) wood blocks/ (being serious) mono-tonal.
We certainly each are different. I have 2 other kits - a 70s Slingerland and a 2002 DW - and my Craviotto sounds distinctive: solid shell, cherry, BB top edge and wood hoops. They don’t sound like my other kits.

What’s harder to explain is that they FEEL distinctive. The way it feels to play these drums is so different from my other kits.

Do I play better as a result? I’m probably smokin’ crack, but yes, I feel I do. I’m playing with more joy.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you're asking ME. I'm offering and am entitled to my opinion . You can't accept it. Whereas I can accept anyone's opinion on the subject with there still being room for mine.
You can't seem to accept my opinion. That's too bad man. Want me to say it again..Don't make me say It again. I hear a wood block mono-tone

Now. Knowing wood. It kind of makes sense doesn't it? Knock Knock who's there? Monotone. Unchangable (except tension the head) unbendable monotone..
See you got me making jokes.
I kept asking because you kept skirting on ever having played a kit at 1st ..
And I’m just saying you really can’t judge a kit not having really heard one .
Seems like you have the problem maybe ….

Knock knock ….