Thoughts on Craviotto kits

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
..well enjoy your day :thumbup:

and put a stiff solid drink on my tab at the Marimba Bar.

I think the solid shell everywhere produces a very primitive almost basic sound.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Plus I don't like tube lugs.
:blackeye:
Actually the tube lugs are the one thing (besides the cost) that would prevent me from getting a Craviotto kit. I can only put up with tube lugs on snare drums. So I'd have to work something out with them to get the lugs from their Diamond series put on a solid-shell kit. Like DW's turret lugs, Craviotto's tube lugs would be a deal-breaker for me. (Hey, if I'm going to spend that kind of coin for a kit I want it the way I want it!)

jhall

Reaction score
I’m fairly certain you could do a Diamond (cast) lug on a kit. I’ve seen them.

jhall

Reaction score
Although with Craviotto its quite extreme.

I heard (and experienced witha few models myself) the stories of loosing lugs almost only with Craviotto.

Especially for such a price, that is just not ok.

That is why I always loved the DW Crav’s with turret lugs better.

Not only held the tuning much better, they also were much more affordable (and most are signed so touched by the man himself :laughing6: )
I hear you. Ive had almost all snare drums detune and drop lugs off the reso side when played hard. I don’t really attribute that as a particular problem. The trade off is the sonic advantage. I did just recently get some of the gauger lug locks for my 70’s B/O 402 and the work well.

jhall

Reaction score
oh no don't wake sleeping dog
You mean me? I love Johnny he was Italian right
Haha… Johnny was great. It’s humorous that you are contributing to a thread where an interested person is wanting feedback from tangible experience, and you have none.
All good, but humorous nonetheless.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
and you have none.
I have ears __
don't we listen before we buy or pursue further
I don't what more I need to own an opinion

maybe I'll go out, buy one, hate it, sell it, and then tell you all about it
But I don't think so; I think everyone knows what a solid shell sounds like
I been playing longer than you've been on earth

jhall

Reaction score
I have ears Jerk
Never stated you didn’t have ears. I’m simply stating you haven’t played a kit, and therefore can’t offer an objective opinion that was asked by the OP.
Seriously not wanting trying to be rude. If I offended you, please accept my apology.
I’m sorry.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be sorry. I've no desire to play a set! that's It! Fort Pitt!
He asked for thoughts. And I contend solid shells sound like one dimension wood blocks.
I don't have to play a kit to hear them
That my personal thought not my cup of oats, not attracted by them to them for my own use. Ask the guys who've bought and sold and or own them. They are free to speak. I ain't holding up anything. Just asked continually to quantify my opinion and have to mention "woodblock" 5000 times.
If you think it's meaningless fine.

Last edited:

jhall

Reaction score
I have ears __
don't we listen before we buy or pursue further
I don't what more I need to own an opinion

maybe I'll go out, buy one, hate it, sell it, and then tell you all about it
But I don't think so; I think everyone knows what a solid shell sounds like
I been playing longer than you've been on earth
Interesting. I fully agree that we ask for input (even use this site as a resource). I’m not trying convince anyone why they should like the drums. I’ve owned a couple kits for nearly a decade and thought I’d weigh in based upon my personal experience. That’s the key here, and the issue. You can certainly say what’s you want, you can even stoop to name calling, but in no way does it negate that fact that you aren’t providing any real value to the OP. You are acting like a bully. Not helpful.
BTW, what difference does it make how long you’ve been playing or how old I am?
sorry man… not gonna wrestle with you on this.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I am. I am offering an observation to consider.
But your observation is purely speculation, you have never played a Crav kit . You can’t play an Old Radio king snare and consider all one ply drums to be “ woodblocks “

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, I would get a Craviotto snare any day of the week…but not a full kit. I can’t see the kit being that much better than some of the major drum makers. If I was spending dough on a new kit…I’d probably get a beautiful Tama Starclassic or Yamaha hybrid. And they would sound great. Or I’d find a cool vintage American made set.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a few studio pictures of the Johnny Craviotto signed Birdseye Maple Kit that I bought from Dan. Sizes: 14x22,9x13,16x16. Pretty fat and fabulous. Steve Maxwell wanted them for his personal collection and bought them from me. If you want a Craviotto kit, buy yourself a Craviotto kit. Don't listen to the naysayers on this site... most, if not all have never been in the same room with a Craviotto kit and they play crap and pretend it's a Craviotto. Get what you want...life is short. One thing I can tell you...they hold their value, if not appreciate in value. Not many drums do that! That's been my experience.

IMG_20171028_194303172_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20171028_194311881_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg