Thoughts on Craviotto kits

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their opinions on all brands of drums . You do not necessary have to have physical experience with a drum set to have an opinion on it . Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn’t mean that it is incorrect FOR me .

Craviotto make fine drums ,I think of them kind of like the luxury car. Do we really need a luxury car for every day driving ? Not a necessity but we may still admire it and appreciate it . We can even decide to buy it when we can afford it .

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their opinions on all brands of drums . You do not necessary have to have physical experience with a drum set to have an opinion on it . Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn’t mean that it is incorrect FOR me .

Craviotto make fine drums ,I think of them kind of like the luxury car. Do we really need a luxury car for every day driving ? Not necessarily but we may still admire it and appreciate it . We can even decide to buy it when we can afford it .
Well stated.

Me? This thread is leaning me to reevaluate the Craviotto kit. I ordered a custom build a few years ago. They screwed up the build - big time. I ended up walking away from the deal at Steve’s advice. He knew they messed it up badly and didn’t want me to continue with a kit I didn’t order. Great guy and has earned my respect on NUMEROUS occasions. We’ve done a lot of business over the years.
I may dive in again. Perhaps used this time, though.

Great thread for the most part.

Butch1970

Reaction score
I've heard Craviottos are prone to detuning during playing ... Anyone know first-hand if that's true? I've heard them played live (one of the times by M Gilmore, who tuned his toms A LOT during the set) but never had the opportunity myself

That said, I have a Summit solid mahogany snare that I love more every time I play it ... and a Slingy solid shell snare that I've never quite fallen for. YMMV, as always ...
Detuning while playing? Not my drums. They are temp/humidity sensitive, though. At one point during the year in the practice room, my drums were actually going up HIGHER in pitch day to day.....which was fine because I was focusing on my Jazz playing anyway :)

Butch1970

Reaction score
6-ply Gretsch is a sound, 3-ply Ludwig's are a sound, Cravs (and N&C) are a sound, and my most recent discovery....Sonor beech is a sound that has made me re-evaluate the whole ply vs solid shell argument. They each also have their own feel. I love them all and can't say that one is better than the other.

I'd suggest that maybe the OP find a nice used Craviotto set. If it floats his boat, go for the custom order. If not, flip them without taking much of a loss. In either case, you WILL want to have another kit to take out to gigs. I'm careful with my stuff but 9 times out of 10 it'll be another band member that puts the ding in your kit or knocks over a cymbal stand ;)

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
JHall brought his Craviottos over to my place to do a clinic .
The bass drum was simply astounding, I couldn’t believe it .
The difference to me is that you can “ feel “ them .
That’s interesting. I always feel that the bass drum is the least important (least distinction) sound on the kit. To me, it comes down to sizes and tuning and muffling on the bass drums. Not sure if I would notice much difference between a Yamaha or DW or Pearl kick of the same size / setup. Biggest difference is in the snares and toms. Those are the keys for me. When it comes to kits, it’s mostly about the toms for me. That’s the big distinction. And snares are a whole other topic of course.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few studio pictures of the Johnny Craviotto signed Birdseye Maple Kit that I bought from Dan. Sizes: 14x22,9x13,16x16. Pretty fat and fabulous. Steve Maxwell wanted them for his personal collection and bought them from me. If you want a Craviotto kit, buy yourself a Craviotto kit. Don't listen to the naysayers on this site... most, if not all have never been in the same room with a Craviotto kit and they play crap and pretend it's a Craviotto. Get what you want...life is short. One thing I can tell you...they hold their value, if not appreciate in value. Not many drums do that! That's been my experience.

View attachment 524389 View attachment 524390
Man I miss that kit! I hope Steve's enjoying them…

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thought for @FrankF, then I think I've contributed/gotten as much as I can out of this thread... What part of the country/world do you live in? If I was contemplating a high end custom drum purchase that had lots of options, I'd consider taking a trip out to visit the manufacturer, or at least a retailer with some stock. For Craviotto I guess that would be Nashville or NYC for Maxwell's. Of course this would be contingent on arranging with them directly, and making sure there was sufficient in stock. If you're thinking of going new and with one of the boutique woods, I can't imagine they wouldn't accommodate in some fashion. Bonus is both locations have so much to offer beyond just drum shopping, so it could be wrapped into a bigger vacation, something we all need more of these days.

Like I stated before, its one of the reasons both of my high end kits were made within 15 minutes of my house. I first dipped my toe into Craviottos with a Cherry snare drum. It was a NAMM drum my buddy played at the event and recommended. So I arranged for it to be sent back to the factory in CA, Johnny graciously invited me to come by to pick it up. He gave me a tour and showed me how things were done, it helped convince me that it was something I wanted to be a part of. More recently when I started to get into Sugar Percussion, I did the same thing and started with a snare drum. Jefferson was also incredibly gracious with his time. I went by the shop, he stuck me in a room with a small kit and a half dozen snare drums. I ended up walking out with one I never would have guessed. After a few months playing it and loving it I decided I wanted a kit. Once again he talk me through lots of options, both over email and in person.

This way you don't have to listen to a lot of yahoos on the internet. Get some first hand experience and decide for yourself. Then post pictures ;)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes bathe in the giant hype generator
generated by the simple primitive ancient shell
question nothing
Once again , you continue with out ever playing or hearing a kit .
Geeeez …
do you know the difference between a solid shell and ply shell, at all? anything?

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
question nothing
Once again , you continue with out ever playing or hearing a kit .
Geeeez …

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting. I always feel that the bass drum is the least important (least distinction) sound on the kit. To me, it comes down to sizes and tuning and muffling on the bass drums. Not sure if I would notice much difference between a Yamaha or DW or Pearl kick of the same size / setup. Biggest difference is in the snares and toms. Those are the keys for me. When it comes to kits, it’s mostly about the toms for me. That’s the big distinction. And snares are a whole other topic of course.
I mentioned the bass drum in particular because I’d never heard anything like it before , it was astounding. And it was in my drum room , I know exactly how bass drums sound in there …
The toms were great at well , you could “feel “ the entire kit .
It was something else …
These drums have punch , tone , attack .
There is a reason the kits sell like Hotcakes …

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
question nothing
To quote Jimi … Hey Joe.
Count the responses you put up here in this thread and consider you may have made your point many many posts ago.
At this point, it’s just coming across as you being a bit of a negative bully kinda guy.
And honestly, that ain’t you. Everybody knows you’re not that guy.
Try to allow others the opinion of liking or respecting the drums.
It ain’t a big deal.
Take care.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jnic.
here's a thread I dug up for @FrankF
that's rich with information on the subject:

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe, I get what you're saying, and I don't think you're totally wrong. There is a bit of over the top fancy pants about all of this, and the version of me from 20 years ago is a bit embarrased with present day me. But we're all in different places in life, and do what we need to get by day to day. If a little pampering and caviar on the side is what I need to feel good about getting up every morning and putting in 10+ hour days, than so be it. Knowing you (virtually) for a long time now I'll take a leap and suggest that if you're honest with yourself, your biggest issue with this has very little to do with the sound of these drums. Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm not, I get it and its a valid angle. Just not for everyone. That doesn't make us sheep or whatever, it just means that our priorities are bit different.

question nothing

do you know the difference between a solid shell and ply shell, at all? anything?

Reactions: JDA

jhall

Reaction score
So the big question is how do the toms compare to Gretsch / Tama / Ludwig / Pearl Given same dimension.
I think the toms compare quite well to the standards. I have an 80’s Gretsch, 80’s RC’s, 60’s Ludwig’s… all in comparable sizes 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16 - The Crav’s are bigger sounding… which isn’t always the right sound, but they do seem to have more (volume, projection, tone)
Years ago I was playing for a couple artists in Nashville and drove (bringing along) 3 8x12 toms. I went Forks, MDS and videoed the entire experience. I posted this super long format post on drumsmith… Anyway.. I listened back AFTER being in the room with the drums and I blindly selected my drums.. what I was used to hearing. I was honestly let down. I thought I was missing something. I thought that the Crav stuff wasn’t what I thought it should be. Fast forward some time, and I just decided to risk it. I sold a ton of stuff and bought the maple/mahogany kit. The drums were/are different, and I’ve grown to understand what they do and more importantly, people I work with ask for the Crav’s over the other benchmark drums.
I love all kinds of drums, I just love the Crav’s more! YMMV.
C9DC44DC-7B23-4B21-88D5-1385408FB602.jpeg

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you Jnic.
here's a thread I dug up for @FrankF
that's rich with information on the subject:
Ahhh, you know we love ya Joe.
Take care brother.

Reactions: JDA

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a lot of stock in J Halls opinion , I’ve seen him tune a kit and it transforms it .
He is an A-List player and does a ton of session work , besides having worked in a few drum shops .
The guy knows his drums and takes them more serious than anyone I know to tell the truth ….