Thoughts on Craviotto kits

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That
I think the toms compare quite well to the standards. I have an 80’s Gretsch, 80’s RC’s, 60’s Ludwig’s… all in comparable sizes 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16 - The Crav’s are bigger sounding… which isn’t always the right sound, but they do seem to have more (volume, projection, tone)
Years ago I was playing for a couple artists in Nashville and drove (bringing along) 3 8x12 toms. I went Forks, MDS and videoed the entire experience. I posted this super long format post on drumsmith… Anyway.. I listened back AFTER being in the room with the drums and I blindly selected my drums.. what I was used to hearing. I was honestly let down. I thought I was missing something. I thought that the Crav stuff wasn’t what I thought it should be. Fast forward some time, and I just decided to risk it. I sold a ton of stuff and bought the maple/mahogany kit. The drums were/are different, and I’ve grown to understand what they do and more importantly, people I work with ask for the Crav’s over the other benchmark drums.
I love all kinds of drums, I just love the Crav’s more! YMMV.
View attachment 524427
Good to hear that feedback. And honestly, I don’t know anything of their bass or toms, so I’m not qualified to say one way or another. (I’ve only played Crav snares) which I am a HUGE fan of. I’ve had two Crav snares and kept the Johnny C. Felt like that version was as good as the more custom versions.

jhall

Reaction score
That

Good to hear that feedback. And honestly, I don’t know anything of their bass or toms, so I’m not qualified to say one way or another. (I’ve only played Crav snares) which I am a HUGE fan of.
Happy to share. If you dig the snares, I think you might also like kick/toms.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My experiences, for what it's worth.

I've tracked with two Crav kits; a maple (24/16/13), cherry (20/14/12), and played a buddies mahogany (22/16/13/12). I've also played 6 snares (range of wood's/sizes/configurations).

- Maple kit. Sounded great, not amazing, but great. It felt good, loved the bass drum. It worked well in the track (country-rock type vibe).
- Cherry kit. Liked it a little less than the maple, but felt good to play. The engineer wasn't digging it in the track so we used something else (funk type vibe). We ended up using a great Rogers kit he has.
- Mahogany kit. What you expect a mahogany kit to sound like - dark, warm, dry, etc. Again, felt good, but a little "too much"...if that makes sense. My buddy has since sold the kit, and I heard the guy that bought it from him also sold it. Take that for what its worth. I also recently got my 70's Premier African mahogany kit up and running. It sonically reminds me of that kit, but for a fraction of the cost.
- Snares. My general thoughts - great drums, record nicely. Some I liked more than others, but overall, very consistent in vibe.

Personally, I think they're very well built drums, aesthetically they're nice, but more narrow in mass appeal (if you like your drums to look like they were made in an episode of 'This Old House' - they're for you), all drums felt good to play, and sound appeal varied by kit. Would I buy a Crav? I'd consider a snare if used, and priced reasonable. A kit? No. If I was really bent on a single ply set, I'd go the Summit route and save the money. Johnny's gone, I'd rather put the money in Gary's pocket then whoever it is that runs Crav's now. All things considered equal (great piece of wood, made by a top craftsman, same specs), you'd have a hard time convincing me that any slight sonic differences (especially in real-world situations; in a track, blended in a live band), would justify the massive price difference. Some people just need the name...the story, the history, etc. They'll pay whatever the cost. God bless you. As a business person, I gladly take advantage of that.

Something to remember - no ones opinion matters, only yours. I personally don't understand the need for some to get approval from others ("should I buy this?", "do you like brand x?", "would you buy this?", "what should I do?", etc etc). How many of the same threads can we have, with the same general responses, and the same overt tribalism over brands (or hate of brands) - they're drums, not advanced avionics. No ones life depends on it, why act like it.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Can someone explain why Craviotto have a seemingly hard time aligning their inlays and/or badges so the pattern isn't offset/staggered/assymetric? Tama don't seem to have a problem doing this on the Star series...

Other than this aesthetic "quirk", I have nothing bad to say about Craviotto.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Craviotto have a seemingly hard time aligning their inlays and/or badges so the pattern isn't offset/staggered/assymetric? Tama don't seem to have a problem doing this on the Star series...

Other than this aesthetic "quirk", I have nothing bad to say about Craviotto.
That was another thing that bugged me about a 1400 bucks snare.

I prefered the beast on the right.

That one was almost 1/3th the price of the left one (and the DW was signed by JC).

1635021515450.jpeg

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experiences, for what it's worth.

Something to remember - no ones opinion matters, only yours. I personally don't understand the need for some to get approval from others ("should I buy this?", "do you like brand x?", "would you buy this?", "what should I do?", etc etc). How many of the same threads can we have, with the same general responses, and the same tribalism over brands (or hate of brands) - they're drums, not advanced avionics. No ones life depends on it, why act like it.
Your opinion is worth a lot. So are other guys opinions who have played these drums, and that's why people ask such questions, because opinions do matter. I've asked such questions before on different gear and I've found them very helpful and they have helped me make purchasing decisions. Helped, not made! But of course you are correct, in the end, only your opinion matters.

There's 8 pages of opinions in this thread alone, so I think you can say they're a big part of what forums are about.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How many of the same threads can we have, with the same general responses, and the same tribalism over brands (or hate of brands) - they're drums, not advanced avionics. No ones life depends on it, why act like it.
Tribalism is ingrained in human nature. The very existence of this forum is an example of tribalism. The fact that you've relegated yourself to the group of people who would not buy a Crav kit is tribalism.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tribalism is ingrained in human nature. The very existence of this forum is an example of tribalism. The fact that you've relegated yourself to the group of people who would not buy a Crav kit is tribalism.
Agree, but the degree that it can reach is what I was referring to. There are levels. I should have been more direct. I'll correct that.

Secondly, you cherry picked to try and frame me as anti-Crav, and partaking in "tribalism". I disagree. I stated that I would consider buying a Crav snare. Clearly a person who would consider buying a Crav product can't be anti-Crav.

Last edited:

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like all these things it's a game of margins. Nearly all modern made drums are great sounding.
I often rent kits for overseas gigs, or drum sampling sessions. I can definitely hear a difference between kits. Some make me fee good, others make me feel meh, but hardly any are not 'good' sounding. I'm looking for the kit that sounds 10% better (to me) than any other kit.
My favourite sounding kit is a Noble & Cooley Horizon (maple and mahogany), probably my favourite workhorse snare is a Craviotto cherry.
I have a lovely set of Pork Pie drums too. I bought them because I rented a couple of PP kits for drum sampling and they sounded fantastic.
I have rented Craviotto kits too, and owned a few snares.
They sound great. They don't sound amazingly night and day better than any other kit.
Like someone else said, I would rather have 1 to 3 fantastic kits than 12 OK kits. I would class the Crav kits I've played as fantastic.
I would definitely be looking for one of the older Crav kits (used).
Yes, I definitely hear differences in bass drums. For anything other than jazz the bass drum is a key element to any kit. You don't want bad sounding toms, but you play toms half a dozen times in any song. You are playing kick and snare almost continuously from the beginning to the end. They are the key elements in a popular music kit - the bass drum and snare.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree, but the degree that it can reach is what I was referring to. There are levels. I should have been more direct. I'll correct that.

Secondly, you cherry picked to try and frame me as anti-Crav, and partaking in "tribalism". I disagree. I stated that I would consider buying a Crav snare. Clearly a person who would consider buying a Crav product can't be anti-Crav.
You did, in fact, state specifically that you wouldn't buy a Crav KIT again and I referred specifically to that point.

Nothing infers you as being wholly anti-Crav. That may be YOUR assumption of how others would interpret your comment, but it has nothing to do with my response.

So, no. No cherry-picking, in truth.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Like all these things it's a game of margins. Nearly all modern made drums are great sounding.
I often rent kits for overseas gigs, or drum sampling sessions. I can definitely hear a difference between kits. Some make me fee good, others make me feel meh, but hardly any are not 'good' sounding. I'm looking for the kit that sounds 10% better (to me) than any other kit.
My favourite sounding kit is a Noble & Cooley Horizon (maple and mahogany), probably my favourite workhorse snare is a Craviotto cherry.
I have a lovely set of Pork Pie drums too. I bought them because I rented a couple of PP kits for drum sampling and they sounded fantastic.
I have rented Craviotto kits too, and owned a few snares.
They sound great. They don't sound amazingly night and day better than any other kit.
Like someone else said, I would rather have 1 to 3 fantastic kits than 12 OK kits. I would class the Crav kits I've played as fantastic.
I would definitely be looking for one of the older Crav kits (used).
Yes, I definitely hear differences in bass drums. For anything other than jazz the bass drum is a key element to any kit. You don't want bad sounding toms, but you play toms half a dozen times in any song. You are playing kick and snare almost continuously from the beginning to the end. They are the key elements in a popular music kit - the bass drum and snare.
You didn't mention your old N&C Star kit, which was a solid kit (except for the bass drum) and you toured the world with it and I would assume that you may have done some session work with it as well. How did it compare to your experiences with Craviotto solid drums and also your favorite N&C Horizon kit?

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You did, in fact, state specifically that you wouldn't buy a Crav KIT again and I referred specifically to that point.

Nothing infers you as being wholly anti-Crav. That may be YOUR assumption of how others would interpret your comment, but it has nothing to do with my response.

So, no. No cherry-picking, in truth.
I disagree. Imo, you cherry picked. Now, move on. You seem like the type of guy who likes to go in circles. If I get a response back, you'll have proved my point.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree. Imo, you cherry picked. Now, move on. You seem like the type of guy who likes to go in circles. If I get a response back, you'll have proved my point.
Yep. You got me. I must admit: I REALLY love to "go in circles." Guilty as charged.

I'll bet you can't show me in my own words how I "cherry-picked" anything that implied that you were COMPLETELY anti-Craviotto...not based on how you FELT about or misunderstood what I said, but what I actually said.

Give it a shot.

I'll also allow the option to move on, since you are clearly against going "in circles" (again, admittedly, as opposed to myself). But I have the sneaking suspicion that you, yourself, might just secretly like going in circles, too.

If I get a response back, you'll have proven my point.

P.S. Extra points for intellectual respect if you can actually rise to the challenge above. Show me in my own words. It's ok. After all, it's not really about "going in circles." Grown men SHOULD be able to maturely deal with challenge.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention your old N&C Star kit, which was a solid kit (except for the bass drum) and you toured the world with it and I would assume that you may have done some session work with it as well. How did it compare to your experiences with Craviotto solid drums and also your favorite N&C Horizon kit?
I prefer the N&C Kits. The Craviotto kits I rented sounded a bit more bland. This is very nit-picky. They sound fantastic, but not quite as characterful as the N&C's.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I prefer the N&C Kits. The Craviotto kits I rented sounded a bit more bland. This is very nit-picky. They sound fantastic, but not quite as characterful as the N&C's.
How about how your famous N&C Star Series solid kit with the shallow toms? How did it compare to your favorite Horizon kit?

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sing it with me!!!