Thoughts on DW drums!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own two sets. They have tuning versatility (I had one set tuned up for fusion sound and the other down for rock), high quality and excellent customer service. I love mine.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would not put any stock in any posts on any drum forum about a supposed drop in the quality of DW drums. Some drummers don't like the look, some don't like the sound, some don't like their image and marketing, but anyone that's claiming that the quality is lacking is not to be taken seriously, IMHO.
This seems an outrageous and indefensible statement to me.

Without knowing the specific claim how do you dismiss it unilaterally?

You basically just said that, without even looking into it or knowing specifics, anybody on any drum forum who states that they had quality issues with DW is a liar while inferring that they only made this statement because they don’t like DWs sound or image or marketing.

How does someone “like” this statement?

We just had a member here who had quality issues with a new DW kit. Hopefully I can provide a little cover fire for him to at least relate his experience for context.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I've never owned DW drums but have DW pedals, the drums are expensive here in Australia.

I remember checking them out closely in the drum shop many years ago and they're beautifully made, the attention to detail is very high and they sounded great in the shop. But I can't remember ever hearing them live or recorded (big name artists included) where I've ever really liked how they sounded which is a shame.

Last edited:

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assume you’re going to get a variety of responses. I am not sure there is a huge number of DW fans on this forum, but there definitely are some. I’ve owned several DW drums in the past but never one of the Jazz series. IIRC, @NobleCooleyNut had some at one point? But I’m not sure.
i did in fact have a Champagne Glass glitter DW Jazz series kit 18/12/14 . It was a really well built nice sounding kit . It sounded VERY close to a Gretsch USA Custom kit . I thought the DW Jazz was built better than the Gretsch USA Custom kits I have owned.

I have also owned a DW collectors Maple from before they were called that . They tended to prefer to be tuned low. That was were they sounded best at least to my ear . I found they choked a bit when you tried to tune them up .

Would I buy another DW kit one day ? Maybe and if I did it would be their Cherry/Mahogany or Maple/Mahogany kit .

nmosko

Reaction score
My opinion, FWIW: DW Hardware is phenomenal. In my opinion it’s the best in the business. The hunger for innovation DW has in all aspects of drum making is second to none. That being said, all of that innovation and exotic wood and custom capabilities come with a price tag that is incredibly high. However, if the set you truly want can only be done using those exotic DW materials, then the price is justified. For me, I like a 4 piece Gretsch with a regular/stock finish. If somebody wants something that’s made of mohogany/maple with varied grain orientations and an exotic one of a kind finish then hey, you’ve got to go with DW. Honestly, I don’t think many people realize just how accurately DW has named their drum series:

the Collectors series is just that: Collectors items that are phenomenally built with the utmost care and dedication. One of a kind.

the performance series is just that: it’s got the same USA build quality and is completely ready to perform and give you that DW maple sound.

design series is of course the series that retains the DW design and motif, but is foreign made and lacks the luxury. Still sounds great, because DW is about quality.

that being said, if DW was truly superior to all of the other drum companies then they would be the only drum company in business and everybody would play them. They are just like any other premier brands where they make a great product but a lot of it is marketing (I.e. I challenge you to find another drum company that has so many videos explaining their processes and philosophies and showing off their factories). They definitely offer some stuff that nobody else does, and for the folks who want that, DW is home. I respect the hell out of them but I’m a Gretsch man.....

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I own a limited edition Buddy Rich kit that DW offered sometime around 2004 or 2005. It is an incredible kit that I used for a short time, but retired to my drum storage. My issue was the sizes (24/13/16 with 5.5x14 single ply snare drum). Too big for what I play. However, I was so impressed with the sound and quality that if I were to ever purchase a new drum kit, it would be a toss-up between a DW Frequent Flyer or a Gretsch Broadkaster.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To echo some others, their hardware is second to none, they were ahead of their time with it and they started most of the hardware innovations you see today I feel. I owned their hardware first then bought a set of 1996 Collectors/Pre-Collectors Gold Badges in 1999. It's my first choice for studio and recording since it so easy to tune and has a wide range. They've been beat up after 15+ years of touring/gigging so I've semi-retired them to the practice room. The company gets a bad rap by some but to each his own, I love them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
How was your experience with your DW drums? What did you replace them with?
I’ve owned a variety of their snare drums in both metal alloys and wood types. All have been very nice drums. Ultimately I sold them because I felt I could get equivalent performance and sound for less money, and that’s proved to be true. That doesn’t mean that others won’t prefer the DW options, they just haven’t been keepers for me. Only one do I miss, a 6.5x14 copper Collector’s snare. It was a better sounding copper drum than the others I’ve owned. I have yet to own a full set of their drums, wouldn’t be opposed to it but they would have to be a great price for me to pull the trigger.
That said, I’ve played on Collector’s and Performance series sets and both are very nice sounding drums. I thought for awhile that I might like to buy a Performance series set, but never found the right deal.

Brainofj

Reaction score
Dreamed of owning a DW since high school, finally made the switch last year from Pearl to a DW Performance 10/12/14/16 (8 on the way) with a collectors black nickel over brass snare and everything has met or exceeded my expectations. The hardware is awesome, the drums have beautiful tone and I can only assume the durability will be off the charts. I have a satin finish and the feel of the finish is exactly what I hoped it would be. Overall fantastic drums.

The only downside is tuning. They aren’t hard to tune, but when you know just how good the drum can sound, when you fall off that tone from playing you just want it back! I find my DW requires more tweaking to the heads as they come out of tune easier than my Pearl did but maybe I just care more about the sound...

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the drums, love the sound, love the innovations. Owning a fully custom kit, a snare, and a lot of hardware. More drums on the way as we speak.

1614780626581.png

1614780656215.png

1614780684263.png

1614780707904.png

Don't love the chroming (in certain humidity degrees) or die-hard fanbase.

Oh and I don't like Dw sounds bad, or DW sounds like this or that.

They have so many options it's an outright lie to say they suck or they sound specific.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems an outrageous and indefensible statement to me.

Without knowing the specific claim how do you dismiss it unilaterally?

You basically just said that, without even looking into it or knowing specifics, anybody on any drum forum who states that they had quality issues with DW is a liar while inferring that they only made this statement because they don’t like DWs sound or image or marketing.

How does someone “like” this statement?

We just had a member here who had quality issues with a new DW kit. Hopefully I can provide a little cover fire for him to at least relate his experience for context.
Here's some advice for you - read through a post at least twice before you attempt to put words in somebody's mouth.

Here's what Jazzhead wrote:
Also, I recently read on the forum that the quality of their drums has dropped for some reason, not sure it that is true or how that’s happened.

What that implies to me, and pretty much everyone else on the forum apparently, is that he has concerns that every drum that DW is making is being made to a lower quality standard. That's the basis for my reply, which I'm going to paste here:

I would not put any stock in any posts on any drum forum about a supposed drop in the quality of DW drums. Some drummers don't like the look, some don't like the sound, some don't like their image and marketing, but anyone that's claiming that the quality is lacking is not to be taken seriously, IMHO.

You're trying to twist my first sentence around and claim that I'm saying that DW doesn't have individual quality issues with any of their drums. What I wrote was in response to what Jazzhead wrote in the sentence I quoted. If he had written that he had read here that a forum member (singular) was having quality issues with his new DW kit, my response would have been "No drum company makes 100% perfect drums, and DW has a great track record of standing behind their products. I'm sure they will take care of the issues. I wouldn't make the exception the rule."

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT HE ASKED! The other forum members and I are able to make that distinction, so if you're not, that's your issue to deal with. I can appreciate that you're looking out for a forum member who is dealing with quality issues with a DW kit, but misinterpreting statements and twisting words is not the way to do it.

Outrageous is twisting my words and implying that I'm calling anyone with quality issues with DW drums a liar.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am intrigued by their Jazz series
never owned one never in the same room with one Mark (used to be here) (Father Shiner) had a yellow swirl DW Jazz series and raved a bunch about. This imo is one of the best demonstration --of the Jazz series-->

note that one has triple flange hoops;

Last edited:

NDdrummer13

Reaction score
I have owned a couple of Collectors series sets and 1 Jazz series set. They sound good but I think I expected too much from them...(I had an Idea of what magic I thought they would hold and unfortunately was underwhelmed). Mic'd they sounded great (both Jazz and Collectors). The build quality was really good as well. Would I buy another DW kit??? If the price was right maybe. Sound-wise I enjoy Gretsch and Sonor SQ2 a little better (for me). DW certainly makes a very high quality drum set. As with anything if you manage your expectations you will probably be happy.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
fun fact: DW owns Gretsch lol
For 1,000,000 time... DW does not own Gretsch. They are the exclusive distributor for Gretsch and the two companies have a partnership, but Fred Gretsch owns Gretsch. Period. Maybe you didn't know the facts and if so, then now you do. But to say DW owns Gretsch is perpetuating incorrect information.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's some advice for you - read through a post at least twice before you attempt to put words in somebody's mouth.

Here's what Jazzhead wrote:
Also, I recently read on the forum that the quality of their drums has dropped for some reason, not sure it that is true or how that’s happened.

What that implies to me, and pretty much everyone else on the forum apparently, is that he has concerns that every drum that DW is making is being made to a lower quality standard. That's the basis for my reply, which I'm going to paste here:

You're trying to twist my first sentence around and claim that I'm saying that DW doesn't have individual quality issues with any of their drums. What I wrote was in response to what Jazzhead wrote in the sentence I quoted. If he had written that he had read here that a forum member (singular) was having quality issues with his new DW kit, my response would have been "No drum company makes 100% perfect drums, and DW has a great track record of standing behind their products. I'm sure they will take care of the issues. I wouldn't make the exception the rule."

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT HE ASKED! The other forum members and I are able to make that distinction, so if you're not, that's your issue to deal with. I can appreciate that you're looking out for a forum member who is dealing with quality issues with a DW kit, but misinterpreting statements and twisting words is not the way to do it.

Outrageous is twisting my words and implying that I'm calling anyone with quality issues with DW drums a liar.
You’re sophistry does not work on me. I stand by what I said.

Without knowing what forum, what post, what context, whst scope, what evidence, without looking into the claims yourself and being able to speak knowledgeably and intelligently about them you have zero foundation for the statement you made or aspersions cast.

nmosko

Reaction score
For 1,000,000 time... DW does not own Gretsch. They are the exclusive distributor for Gretsch and the two companies have a partnership. Fred Gretsch owns Gretsch. Period. Maybe you didn't know the facts and if so, then now you do. But to say DW owns Gretsch is perpetuating incorrect information.

Ahhhh I thought that DW "bought" the Gretsch company and just left Fred Gretsch in charge and has left the Gretsch operation alone and in the hands of Paul Cooper and co. Interesting to know thats not that case!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
consider it a joint venture on paper with some support maybe even cross-support you would never see. like the fella in charge of Gretsch imports- came from DW to head that division/section- read that.
Gretsch has had Kaman, Fender Guitars, associations in the past.
Gretsch has an entire Guitar operation too etc.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
P.s.

Late 1998 into 1999 was the changeover period from Keller to their own shells. This was during the 3th generation badge (black/chrome) era.

The Collector's badge timeline:
1st gen:
1614783565006.png

2nd gen:
1614783552491.png

3th gen:
1614783512721.png

4th gen:
1614783540356.png

5th (current) gen:
1614783600623.png

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Never owned any DW drums but I have played DW bass drum pedals for many years - I think they are fantastic and have never required any adjustment at all. Good drums, they try to be very innovative.