Thoughts on DW drums!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't like the round lugs or John Good. Otherwise, they're great.
I’m tossed on John good. I can’t tell if he is sincere about the passion or selling a story of some Michigan lake 1000 yr old wood to justify the price of a 10k kit? I do love dw hardware tho.

Last edited:

ncdrumr

Reaction score
I have Performance series in traditional sizes and I really like them. Their lugs are reasonably-sized. I have to agree- the Collector's lugs are a bit too massive. Seems counter-intuitive when a company goes on and on about sonic properties of a given wood shell, only to fasten those giant lugs on 'em. :?

I just think mine are really good-sounding maple shells.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I've heard dozens of recordings of them over the years and never understood why they cost so much and why everyone loves them. My last band rented a rehearsal room nearby that had a DW set in it. I get it now. It all gets lost in recordings, but playing a set in person... man, it feels good.

I flat out can't afford them. That's okay though. I don't need to. My drums are better than I need, and I'm grateful for that. But yes, the DWs are better. Much better. And they're better than anything else I've sat down and played as well.

CigarScott

Reaction score
I never understand the vitriol and disdain many Drummers have for DW. DW pretty much restarted the US made drum industry . They made US drums cool again . I would think especially if I was American that ai would hold the company in better stead .

DW are fantastic marketers and it goes without saying . Is this not an admirable trait for a Company ?
DW has been innovative , has not been devious about their manufacturing practices .

Why the dislike folks ? Is it trendy or cool to like on DW ? Maybe I missed the memo ?
I don't think anyone really has any disdain for them, I I do agree that they resurrected the American drum industry which was on life support in the 80's. Other than a few rock/metal guys playing Ludwig, ie: Alex Van Halen, Eric Carr, the industry was dominated by the Japanese in the 80's. If you listen to the Tama episode on the Drum History podcast, they touch on this some.

I've admitted earlier that I dreamed of owning a DW kit growing up and thought they were the Rolls Royce of drums. I still do think they make phenomenal kits that look great and I'd like to get my hands on an Edge snare, if I come across a deal. I think a lot of non-DW players just have marketing fatigue from them since their brand is so omnipresent in the industry and are cynical whenever another drummer switches their endorsement to them.

I personally just look at the costs of their stuff and wonder how much more competitive they would be price-wise if they didn't have a thousand endorsers who are getting either gear at costs to potentially getting paid to play their gear and provide backline support in dozens of countries. I completely get a drum company having a roster of recognized players to promote their brand and providing the upper echelon free gear or get paid to use it but it seems like they have more endorsers than all of the major brands put together. Hell, with Terry Bozzio and all of his kits, you could buy a nice house where I live for the cost of those.

Last edited:

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never cared for their drums, and found their tom mounting hardware poorly designed. Their machined chain drive pedal felt amazing when I tried it at NAMM a couple years back though.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I’m tossed on John good. I can’t tell if he is sincere about the passion or selling a story of some Michigan lake 1000 yr old wood to justify the price of a 10k kit? I do love dw hardware tho.
Not a fan. He actually believes his own bee ess.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 AMAZING custom made kits. One collectors, and one short stack. I am blown away by the quality, sound and beauty of them. Best drums I've ever played in my 55 years of playing!
Excellent! How do you like the shallow toms? What kind of wood are both of them?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a bit of fun. Make sure not to peep and wear earphones. Don't know if it has any relevance to this thread but maybe.

Amazing that both these "experts" don't know how to measure a drum. No such thing as a Camco 12x10.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always gravitate towards drum brands that were big in the 50’s through 70’s. Some drums were hyped in that era then later came the 80’s and 90’s with mostly Yamaha dominating, but I have never looked close enough to DW. However, I always saw some big names playing DW in the past 10-15 years. All I know is that they are expensive and probably have the best looking finishes.
Upon researching a bit, I am intrigued by their Jazz series. Also, I recently read on the forum that the quality of their drums has dropped for some reason, not sure it that is true or how that’s happened.

What’s your opinion of DW drums? Have you or do you own a set?
Gotta remember Yamaha's domination was a result of a l o n g history and huge sampling seeking advice of drummers whether or not they were pros, hitmakers or straight-up fun-drummers like us here on this forum. DW has been around how long? That's a laugh! Do other brands still maintain a relationship long after you've bought their gear? Do they ever call you or send you messages or ask for input? Do they ask you about other maker's products? Do they even send you a personal thankyou? That's why Yamaha's great. They've always kept a connection with me. Even when I bought my first dirt-bike, a '77 YZ 250. Kinda like the tailor asking how's the fit a decade later. Everybody else was and is still just looking for endorsers and making 'signature' pieces. Yamaha was innovating when others like Rogers and Slingerland were dying. Like many here. I'm the furthest from being a working pro or a member of a hitmaking band. Gotta remember Yamaha's the biggest and greatest maker of ALL instruments for ALL musicians from strings, keyboards to recording, sound reinforcement to ground-pounders. Yamaha has gotta l o n g history catering to users of their product. Who, who else can claim that! They put out a great product for the buck and aren't afraid to produce a $240,000 piano either! My sisters have one of those! Puts a Steinway to shame! Yamaha's killing Steinway too. For good reason too. It costs more than the dump I live in. You want the very best, Yamaha can do that too! I don't gravitate to who was big or small, or when. I gravitate to whoever can fill my ear's needs at the time of that need. I don't even care what color or finish as my ears are the final judge. I've had over a dozen different brand of drumkits come and go including owning the great DW four times and have returned to Yamaha eight times in almost six decades of drumming. That's over thirty kits and each one fulfilled my ear's exact need at the time I possessed them. Every one of them was a perfect product except for one aspect. Hardware. I've been a total slave to Yamaha's 800 and 900 Series and their 1st generation HexRack since their inception decades ago. Same goes with my arsenal of DW/Camco 5000 pedals and their 9000 cable hats. With Yamaha it's innovate or die! Very little re-hashing. That's why Yamaha is the world's powerhouse when it comes to fulfilling the needs of all musicians, regardless of instrument, and the performing/recording industry. I don't expect my words to go further than anybody else. And they shouldn't. We're all equals here. But, I've owned and performed professionally with over thirty different kits over the ages, how many have been fortunate to do that? Always buy what captures your ears before your eyes! Always. Buy what gives you an eargasm!

Last edited:

Reaction score
I’m tossed on John good. I can’t tell if he is sincere about the passion or selling a story of some Michigan lake 1000 yr old wood to justify the price of a 10k kit?
Probably both.

I was always under the impression Drum Workshop sourced 26" bass drum shells from Keller. Is this still the case?

I've always held Drum Workshop in high esteem, but their drums and hardware have never really appealed to me.

LibmanLive

Reaction score
I always gravitate towards drum brands that were big in the 50’s through 70’s. Some drums were hyped in that era then later came the 80’s and 90’s with mostly Yamaha dominating, but I have never looked close enough to DW. However, I always saw some big names playing DW in the past 10-15 years. All I know is that they are expensive and probably have the best looking finishes.
Upon researching a bit, I am intrigued by their Jazz series. Also, I recently read on the forum that the quality of their drums has dropped for some reason, not sure it that is true or how that’s happened.

What’s your opinion of DW drums? Have you or do you own a set?
I owned a DW Collector series. They put a lot of care and technology into creating their shells. You can go on YouTube and they have many videos on how they match the shells per drum set and talk about the direction of each laminate and how it makes a difference in the tonality and or timbre. Yes, they are expensive and rightfully so. There is definitely a better tone and comfort along with strong hardware. It's not a drumset for everyone. You have to have money to afford a DW, especially a Collector series. They do have a much affordable line called PDP that in my opinion, cause I own one as well, Is perfect for someone that has a tighter budget. I have had more people compliment my PDP LX series more often. I recommend that you review on YouTube all that you can on the production of DW. As far as their custom paint finishes, I'm personally not into that. For some they like it. I like just a light maple solid color gloss lacquer finish. I've also played on the higher end Yamaha, Pearl, Gretch, and they all have very good drums that sound great, again you're going to pay much more for the higher end of any popular brand. I see a lot of DW sets I n some big concerts. Maybe because they sound the best or maybe it is good marketing or both. I'm sure some of these big name drummers wouldn't use DW if it wasn't good enough or maybe they are being sponsored. Steve Gadd plays Yamaha, Todd Sucherman plays Pearl Masterworks. Dean Castronovo plays DW Collector. I hope this info serves you well.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DW drums have never been on my radar because I just can't get past the lugs, but that certainly doesn't mean there not great drums. I'm glad there out there doing what they do. They have really played a big role in reviving American drum making, so kudos to them.