Thoughts on getting old

MrYikes

Reaction score
Getting old is no fun, although it is better than the alternative. We go through life and acquire beliefs based on our experience and logic and then in our later years, society tells us we are wrong in what we hold dear. It is down-right maddening. Case in point: I have used only my Ghost pedal since I bought it in 68. I love my Ghost pedal. Period. I wanted a back up pedal, a cheap one because I would never use it. It came in today and I put it on and tried it. DARN IT ALL TO HECK. It's fantastic. Very much louder, quicker, more comfortable. Doubles are a breeze and triples are doable. This thing cost $18. How can that be? Its a single chain with dual springs. I hate that I like it so well.
How can I hold on to the things I hold dear, if the new stuff is so much better. I'm starting to look at my wife a little differently today.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best antidote to the inevitable effects of aging? Keep your mind open ..... and don't bug yourself for not picking up on great new things ....... sooner.

You might find that you pick up on stuff ........ quicker .......

Mike

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
On my third wife..no regrets, but it sure sucks the resources out of you starting over, three times..
Just signed up for art classes this week..never drew much more than dorks on girls textbooks in middle school..looking forward to trying new things...It's not where you've been, it's where your going.
I used to love my Speed King, but a few pedals later, it sits on a shelf collecting dust..don't sit on a shelf collecting dust.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Getting old is no fun, although it is better than the alternative. We go through life and acquire beliefs based on our experience and logic and then in our later years, society tells us we are wrong in what we hold dear. It is down-right maddening. Case in point: I have used only my Ghost pedal since I bought it in 68. I love my Ghost pedal. Period. I wanted a back up pedal, a cheap one because I would never use it. It came in today and I put it on and tried it. DARN IT ALL TO HECK. It's fantastic. Very much louder, quicker, more comfortable. Doubles are a breeze and triples are doable. This thing cost $18. How can that be? Its a single chain with dual springs. I hate that I like it so well.
How can I hold on to the things I hold dear, if the new stuff is so much better. I'm starting to look at my wife a little differently today.
I can pretty much guarantee that this new pedal will not be as nice in 50 years as your Ghost is now. I am also fairly certain that you won't care!

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Exactly 1 month from today I will be cracking the big 60. I feel better today than I did 10 years ago. Loosing a lot of weight helped tremendously.

I agree that getting older beats the alternative. Above the sod is better.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
On my third wife..no regrets, but it sure sucks the resources out of you starting over, three times..
Just signed up for art classes this week..never drew much more than dorks on girls textbooks in middle school..looking forward to trying new things...It's not where you've been, it's where your going.
I used to love my Speed King, but a few pedals later, it sits on a shelf collecting dust..don't sit on a shelf collecting dust.
Please explain "never drew much more than dorks on girls textbooks"?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Exactly 1 month from today I will be cracking the big 60. I feel better today than I did 10 years ago. Loosing a lot of weight helped tremendously.

I agree that getting older beats the alternative. Above the sod is better.
Yup sure beats the dirt nap.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still using Speed Kings, a '65, and two '72s. I used just about every other pedal, can't do better. However, some of the "new stuff" is better. I've blended some new hardware, heads, bags into my set ups (3 of them). Stay positive, learn new genres, play whenever you can, help others, and above all, have fun.

I'm 68 now.

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm turning 50, and I think the most important thing is to keep moving forward, while still holding on to aspects of the things we love. Many (most?) people want things to stay the same as they age, and then they get bitter that things actually change. The reality is it gets harder to adapt as we get older, but we want things to get easier. In my opinion, the effort is worth it. I love learning about new technology, new cars, new drums, new whatever. That doesn't mean I forgo everything I have loved in the past.

I have a two-year-old Gretsch Brooklyn kit, which is fantastic sounding and looking. It is flawless. But I also have a late 60s Ludwig that is my favorite kit ever. It has some problems and some battle scars, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. One foot moving forward while the other is rooted in the things I love.

Latest posts