Thoughts on getting old

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
I'm old and recently got back into drums. Thing I've noticed most; holy crap my skin is dry. Did some research online and decided to try the recommendation of spraying the sticks with clear gloss (I went ahead and used white), and got some hand lotion. Wow, works like a charm. I tried stick wax and while it worked, was kinda yucky. Other ideas worked as well, but, ended up preferring the gloss coated idea. Thought the idea was strange at first. Seemed the opposite would be the way to go, but, very surprised how well it works. Along with the hand lotion.

REF

Reaction score
trust me, it will cost a lot more than $18 to upgrade your wife - and she will tell you triples are not doable..........................
Now, that is hilarious. :-D

All you guys. Quick wits. You need to try out on AGT.

If I had a nickel for every time I now walk into a room and wonder why I did, turn around and go back to wherever, then remember, turn around and go back again, only to stand there ... you get older and there's an encyclopedia more info swirling around than in my 20's. You have to grab thoughts and hang on to them or they are gone like a wisp.

Speaking of my 20's. I have this festival coming up and have begun trying to keep up with myself on the recording from 40 years ago. Holy adrenal fatigue, Batman. I am feeling heart attack city by the second song. How did I do that stuff at 23? By the time I get to the drum solo I just sit and laugh. My greatest fear is not death (if it ever was), it's making a total fool of myself at this festival next April. Man, I have some serious work to do. Getting old is the pits (to borrow a phrase from when I was young).

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could be the oldest gigging drummer on this forum at 78 but never worry about it. I never get tired across three sets of keeping up with younger jazz guys but loading car, unloading car, setting up, breaking it down, reloading car and the unloading when back home gets old ....but for the sheer joy of still getting to play and loving it when I do, I can live with that. I can't recall when I was ever the youngest in any band but the time will come when it may look a bit silly for that old guy to be up on stage and that's when I might stop. At the moment I look younger than I am and will keep pretending that I AM younger than I am ..... just last month I sold my very portable Taye Go-Kit and got a brand new drum kit of conventional sizes so am hoping that current confidence in some more playing years will continue for a while .... :)

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All my drums are older than me.
And I plan on keeping them and myself gigging for as long as possible.
Music keeps you young at heart and we have that advantage over folks who do not get the importance of music in our lives.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm old and recently got back into drums. Thing I've noticed most; holy crap my skin is dry. Did some research online and decided to try the recommendation of spraying the sticks with clear gloss (I went ahead and used white), and got some hand lotion. Wow, works like a charm. I tried stick wax and while it worked, was kinda yucky. Other ideas worked as well, but, ended up preferring the gloss coated idea. Thought the idea was strange at first. Seemed the opposite would be the way to go, but, very surprised how well it works. Along with the hand lotion.
Try Bullseye Shellac. It dries to a subtle "tackiness"...just enough to keep them in your hands. Regal tip uses a similar finish.

10 Lug

Reaction score
I could be the oldest gigging drummer on this forum at 78 but never worry about it. I never get tired across three sets of keeping up with younger jazz guys but loading car, unloading car, setting up, breaking it down, reloading car and the unloading when back home gets old ....but for the sheer joy of still getting to play and loving it when I do, I can live with that. I can't recall when I was ever the youngest in any band but the time will come when it may look a bit silly for that old guy to be up on stage and that's when I might stop. At the moment I look younger than I am and will keep pretending that I AM younger than I am ..... just last month I sold my very portable Taye Go-Kit and got a brand new drum kit of conventional sizes so am hoping that current confidence in some more playing years will continue for a while .... :)
Not quite, still gigging, will be 80 in January.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I say it's just a number, but then I look in the mirror and reality sets in. 35 years ago today I was in Marine Corps boot camp with two weeks until graduation. Where did the time go?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
it's making a total fool of myself at this festival next April. Man
I think Inspiration may be the only key to longevity seems the old arms and legs and head and hoofs move when Inspired

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Better at "what" is the question. Wisdom and time's a pretty heavy combo when deployed under optimum conditions it's trying to replay/recreate/youth (what you "did" then) that you don't need now. have to let your wisdom and "age at the drums" come thru....;)
The older I get the better I was.

Latest posts