Thoughts on getting old

JimmyFenno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I swing better @ 62 then I did at 20, 25, 30. all the way to age 60. I can drive a big band - 16 piece - at this age more comfortably then I did 1 or 2 or 3 decades prior. I believe I pay much more attention to the swing groove at 61 then I did at any better than I did at 35. What is up with that? I accept my limitations as a rock drummer at 20 to 40 to 55 then I do now - as my swinging advantages and listening skills I feel at age 62 are better on the "listening" side of charts then the opening up and chopper skills of the drum setups which I can leave on the acceptance of the intro feel I had been chasing previously. It just feels better, sounds better and grooves better.

Santino

Reaction score
Close friend dropped a quote on me a few years back that rings truer every day. "Getting old ain't for sissies." He didn't say sissies.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I could be the oldest gigging drummer on this forum at 78 but never worry about it.
I don't know how many realize it anymore, but this forum sprang from the ashes of another forum called the DCI forum.
DCI was a drum shop owned by Harry Cangany, who was (still is?) a well respected authority on vintage drums and equipment.
Anyway, one day a member asked how old everyone was and what their birthday's were.
In those days, people didn't think that this guy could've been mining the forum for data on teh members.
You didn't hear about such things so much and many of us just didn't think that way, so we all posted our ages and birthdays.
What the hell, right?
It turned into one of these marathon threads that went on for several pages.
There was a guy at the DCI forum some of us here may remember, CorkyD.
When he posted his brithday, he realized he was the oldest guy there (all I remember was he was born in '46), ol' Corky was kind of a card and man, you could hear the horror in his "voice" when he figured out he was the oldest guy there.
It was actually pretty hilarious (I don't think he really cared, but he could never pass up a setup, either).
Anyway, just something that came to mind when I read that.
I heard CorkyD made the jump over to here when this forum started up, but I don't know if he's still around or not.
He certainly wasn't "CorkyD" anymore. That moniker seemed to go away with the DCI forum.

Elvis

Reactions: JDA

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Close friend dropped a quote on me a few years back that rings truer every day. "Getting old ain't for sissies." He didn't say sissies.
I've heard that as Gettin' old ain't for the young. :laughing6:

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
I'm 72, never played better. In the past I played tons of 5 or 6 hour a night gigs, 6 days a week. I had one that did 6 hours a night with a 3 hour jam on Sat afternoon, so between 9 pm Fri and 3 am Sun you played 15 hours out of 30 and if you wanted players to come to your jam, you had to go to their's, so 15 hours plus. I mention this because those gigs are gone and the 2 or 3 set gigs these days just don't seem long enough, I never want to quit at quitting time. Of course, spending that much time on your instrument a week was a blessing. As Buddy said, you only get better by playing. Gigs are few but I still play drums, keys, and sing everyday to keep my chops up, and write songs.
I've got an offer from some really good players to start a band and play their originals(fusion). I will only do it if we do a youtube channel instead of playing out and also they play my originals. We'll see.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I will be 80 in March. When I listen to recordings I made in earlier years, I am so grateful that I don't have to play like that now, because I can't. I retired from playing for a living about 4 years ago and freely admit that I am not the drummer I once was. But I still play and practice so I can do the best possible.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting point there above about listening to what was played in earlier years and what today is like. My own journey through the years moved me into genres that I could handle well rather than try to do what I did in earlier years in different genres. e.g from rock through to dixieland then to bop and now to acoustic trios where brushes are more the norm. In simplifying my playing to "feel" and supportive sounds rather than energetic showmanship I honestly feel that I am - in my own way - better as a time keeper and rock solid rhythm player than at any other time. And making a trio swing today is as much fun as any rock band gig ever was.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Interesting point there above about listening to what was played in earlier years and what today is like. My own journey through the years moved me into genres that I could handle well rather than try to do what I did in earlier years in different genres. e.g from rock through to dixieland then to bop and now to acoustic trios where brushes are more the norm. In simplifying my playing to "feel" and supportive sounds rather than energetic showmanship I honestly feel that I am - in my own way - better as a time keeper and rock solid rhythm player than at any other time. And making a trio swing today is as much fun as any rock band gig ever was.
I wasn't saying I can no longer play. All I have done for the past 4 years is trio and quartet lounge jazz. I'm just saying that the days of kicking a 7 or 8 piece horn band in an up-tempo funk groove for over five minutes is no longer gonna happen. No stamina. No over the top energy without a cardiac event.

kallen49

Reaction score
Regarding bass drum pedals, I sold my DW 9000 after I brought home a new Tama “classic” pedal and realized I liked the Tama way better. Right out of the box, no adjustment. It probably will not last as long as the 9000 but is much lighter and I got what I paid for the 9000 after using it for 7 years (because they are so expensive nowadays).
At 62, I’m often the oldest person in the bar when I’m playing, a weird feeling, but, I’m very happy to propel a gang of sweaty young people as they rock out.
Great antidote to aging! Better to burn out...

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can't play as well now that I'm older, but it doesn't really bother me because I couldn't play worth hell when I was young, either.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But back to the Ghost thing....
After you play the 18 buck special for a while, go back to your Ghost pedals. Play around with the set up
Of the springs. I’ll bet that the Ghost surprises you!
It’s a brilliant pedal. The ONLY pedal that uses those twin coils. And Ludwig didn’t stop making them because they weren’t good, but because drummers would take the spring cover off and it would fly out and - surprise! - cause mayhem.
I have four or five Ghosts in the basement. They’re great for shows that require some quick consistent footwork, like fast Sambas. And they’re pretty cool.

Anyway ... a guy I knew told how he always became a better player with a new tennis racket, until the new juju wore off.

Still ... the 18 buck technology can be amazing.

REF

Reaction score
I think Inspiration may be the only key to longevity seems the old arms and legs and head and hoofs move when Inspired
I'm counting on that, and adrenaline, when the moment arrives.

HoorayGuy

Reaction score
And one thing for you younger drummers: Take care of yourself NOW. You'll wish you had.

REF

Reaction score
This all brings to mind one of my favorites, Ed Cassidy, from Spirit. I believe he passed at 89, some years back now. I loved ED. Always smiling. A true Jazz/Rock drummer. A great ambassador for the instrument.

1567343241444.png