thoughts on jelly bean, lifesaver kits, popular or passe ??

musicman64

Reaction score
thinking about putting 1-2 together, sort of shopping from my garage...I could put one together today, but it's about 110 right now in the garage..too hot for me

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Gretsch RB 16x16 ft to add to a burgundy sparkle, but will take most anything, so, yeah, I'm okay with jelly bean kits.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be anal about everything matching , then I acquired a red 24” bass drum to rewrap .
Well that never happened and I built a kit around it . I’ve done so many gigs with this kit it’s not funny .
I don’t consider it jellybean though .

Popular-Passé ?? I don’t know ...
I love mine .

Attachments

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whatever floats your boat. I like mis-matched jelly bean kits, if the colors work. Am not so much a fan of lifesaver stripes on each drum. A duco is cool.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Once played quite the jellybean: Beech Custom purple kick, Maple Custom natural rack, Recording Custom green floor and Ludwig BOP snare. It was not a pretty sight but these were definitely the best drums for the recording session.

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Its your money! If they sound good, fine! Jam on !

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For some reason I kind of like when they're done with Vistalite shells but I'm not so much of a fan when they are pieced together with mismatched wraps and lacquer finishes on wood shells.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them and think, due to their inherent funkiness, they don't ever go out of style because they are never in style.

I like sparkle jellies but prefer two tones, which I suppose aren't true jellybeans, like champagne/silver or red/blue or red/gold or blue/gold, but not red and green.

Like, cochlea, I'm not as crazy about drastically mis-matched kits, such as sparkles with duco, or an old wood finish with Vistalite.

On the other hand, now that I'm talking about it, that could be kind of cool in the right setting.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Using the best individual drums for their sound without concern for brand or looks? Yeah, I like that. Mismatched is totally fine with drums just like cymbals. But intentional jellybean kits with one drum of each color, all from the same brand/line? Not my thing, personally.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lifesaver kit had me thinking pearl white had to adjust..

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with mixing up kits. I’ve had Sonor, Tama, and Eames all set up together only because I was into playing drums that sounded best individually from each kit. That works because it gives you a slightly more distinct sound than playing a kit where everything is matching and uniform, which can, in some cases be boring (makes me think of dw).

You also get the advantage of having a distinct look that no one is likely to replicate. Audience members are unlikely to care, but if they do, they’d either think you put together a kit based on what you could find, or you did it for how each drum sounds on its own.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once played quite the jellybean: Beech Custom purple kick, Maple Custom natural rack, Recording Custom green floor and Ludwig BOP snare. It was not a pretty sight but these were definitely the best drums for the recording session.
You could be fined for that in some counties.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
thinking about putting 1-2 together, sort of shopping from my garage...I could put one together today, but it's about 110 right now in the garage..too hot for me
Jelly Bean kits are cool. But, I've always thought that a kit made of component drums of different brands, based on the sound of the drum rather than aesthetics, would be very cool!