Thoughts on Matching Snare Drums

drums1225

Reaction score
Do you prefer a wood snare that matches the finish of your kit, or one that is of a different finish?

With lacquer finished wood snares, I prefer matching, but I also love my metal snares that don't match.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
traditional blonde goes with about 90% of other set finishes
that's my drum doctor 1948 490 WFL blonde w/ a touch of sunburst/ satin red rosewood set)
Sound is the ultimate arbiter/ ability to speak/ what you want to say with the drum
white marine pearl in a wrapped snare goes with about 80% of other set finishes too.
I've never seen either look bad on anybody's set.

CymbalHeight.jpg BsphorusChina.JPG

Last edited:

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't care less what the snare looks like, matching or not. It's their response to my tuning desires that's important. I own only two snares. A 6.5 Bronze Beauty I bought in Derry, Ireland '84 and a 5 inch Acro bought in '65 when I was in the 3rd grade. They've given everything I could ever want. Nothing else has called me since.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a strange relationship with matching snares. When I’ve had a matching drum I’ve rarely used it, because I’m picky about what I want to hear out of a snare. It has to be a really great drum in its own right, I won’t play it just because it matches the set. If a matching drum really sounds great, it’s more likely to get the stand, but it’s not because of the finish.

At the same time, I have a desire to find a matching snare when I don’t have one — this mostly applies to vintage sets. Currently I’m playing a 3-ply Slingerland set with black and silver Niles badge in silver sparkle. I would LOVE to find a matching drum, but no luck so far. Even then, if the drum doesn’t sound great, it will likely just sit. But I’ll have a matching snare. I know — I’m weird.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably an OCD/head thing with me but I really like non-matching snares.

I have two kits and two decent matching snares for those kits and I'm thinking of re-wrapping them for this reason but that's me, I can be quirky but I don't care.

They're not vintage or special kits either and that makes it easier, otherwise I think I'd kick my OCD to the curb.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet of which snares and rides sounds best in each local venue. For me it's sound first, look second. I will say that I really wanted my custom Oriollo to be blue at first, but I got the galaxy black or whatever it's called because it would match all my kits (which include red, blue, browns, and clears).

drums1225

Reaction score
I couldn't care less what the snare looks like, matching or not. It's their response to my tuning desires that's important. I own only two snares. A 6.5 Bronze Beauty I bought in Derry, Ireland '84 and a 5 inch Acro bought in '65 when I was in the 3rd grade. They've given everything I could ever want. Nothing else has called me since.
Thanks for using "couldn't care less" properly (so rare, these days), but I happen to care about both sound and looks, which is why I began a discussion that is literally 100% about looks.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I have 17 snare drums, but if I had to cull it back down to one, it would be the Acro I got in 7th grade. I technically could have stopped right there, but I'm glad I have the others to match whatever room I'm in.

drums1225

Reaction score
I have 17 snare drums, but if I had to cull it back down to one, it would be the Acro I got in 7th grade. I technically could have stopped right there, but I'm glad I have the others to match whatever room I'm in.
I just ordered my 10th snare today (and it matches my 1 year old STAR Maple kit), but if I had to get rid of all my snares except one, my 13x6.5 Dunnett Titanium would be the last man standing. Fortunately, I don't have to sell anything out of necessity at this point, unless you consider my wife's sanity and need for storage space in the basement "necessary".

I have a 5" Acro and a 6.5" Supra, and they're great sounding drums that will always remain in my arsenal.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matching wood snare looks pretty but sometimes you want the metal sound. I use both! Aesthetically at least with my finish, they all look good through my eyes. I've got Vintage black pearl Ludwigs. They look great with the matching snare but also look good with chrome, brass or bronze snares.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each of my kits has a matching wood snare. They are like having the vest to complete a well-tailored three piece suit.

That said, I more often than not rotate in one of my five other snares with an Acro and Black Beauty called from the bench for a lot of field time.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I generally want to have a matching snare for any set ( and usually do) but I may not use it for gigs with that set.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
i think my position on this is clear.

View attachment 487816
I'm sorry but I can't see a pattern :D.

Most punters won't see what your snare looks like on stage and even less will take any notice (or care) what it sounds like. Only yourself and any drummers in the crowd will be aware of it. For me personally who cares whether they match or not, as long as they sound good.