THOUGHTS ON SELF-LEARNING DRUMS

NickSchles

Reaction score
Just glanced at Nick's article but will read it later. I play bass but always wanted to become proficient in drumming to be a better bass player and also so when a drummer isn't available I can fill in. This past year I decided to do my own multi instrument covers. I noticed one of the bullets was record yourself. That is fantastic advice. For me it's almost like playing live with a band. You have to nail the part if you're going to build a cover on top of it.
You know, as a multi-instrumentalist myself (my first instrument being the guitar), I do believe that being able to play more than one instrument makes you a better player / musician. I find my approach to music, thanks to being able to play other instruments, is more rounded.

I'm glad you found the article helpful... Maybe this one could be helpful too:
https://nickschlesinger.com/playing-drums-by-ear

NickSchles

Reaction score
I think one could argue none of us are self-taught - or we all are.

Pretty much all of us know what we know because of what we heard or saw someone else do - then we applied or mutated it to fit our own circumstances. As far as reading is concerned, a reasonably obsessed 12-year-old could likely make his or her way through Haskell Harr's books; after that, a wall might be hit and one might seek help.

If you look at folks like Dennis, Rickman or Greg Clark, those guys have done a lot of listening - and hear quickly. They've paid attention. They just haven't gone what some might consider being the formal route. That didn't stop them.

The hungry ones among us never stop. It's like being a doctor; we have to stay on top of our game or we'll be decertified. And there's always a 4 year old out there with a better idea.
I get what you're saying. I do feel, however, that the distinction is better described as "formal tuition" vs. "unstructured, self learning". I mean, it might not matter and it might be semantics, but I think it helps better identify the differences! That's just me though. :)

petereather

Reaction score

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I get what you're saying. I do feel, however, that the distinction is better described as "formal tuition" vs. "unstructured, self learning". I mean, it might not matter and it might be semantics, but I think it helps better identify the differences! That's just me though. :)
Bottom line - if we're truly bitten, we actively seek out the knowledge, and folks who know things we don't, so we can do what we hear.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know, as a multi-instrumentalist myself (my first instrument being the guitar), I do believe that being able to play more than one instrument makes you a better player / musician. I find my approach to music, thanks to being able to play other instruments, is more rounded.

I'm glad you found the article helpful... Maybe this one could be helpful too:
https://nickschlesinger.com/playing-drums-by-ear

Totally agree with this. I play a few other instruments as well, but not very well.

Interestingly, I once knew a family of very talented musicians. There were 4 or 5 kids, all played various instruments, but specialized in one or two, and all played very well.

I was playing a session where one of the children, who was a guitarist, was also doing guitar parts on the song. After the session was over, he asked me if he could play my kit. Of course, no problem, as I commented that I didn't know he played drums.

He said his parents made all the children learn drums no matter what instrument they were focusing on. His parents told them they all needed to be very comfortable with timing, beats, and rhythm and that it was key to being good at their other instrument.

As musicians who are frequently the butt of jokes (what do you call a guy who hangs around the band, a drummer. How do you a know a drummer is at the door, the knocking speeds up. etc. etc.) I always remembered that and loved it.

gabo