Thoughts on Sonor Delites? Edit: NEW KIT DAY

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, I have the opportunity to get a set of Delites this evening, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to pull the trigger, I'm just curious about peoples experiences with them.

Unfortunately the kit has one of my biggest drumming pet peeves, a hanging floor tom, but I figure I'll just buy a suspension basket for it. The kit's in bop sizes too, which will be pretty different for me. (My last two kits were 24/13/16 and my current kit is 10/12/14/16/22.)

debotcher

Reaction score
I have a Delite set with 14 & 16 hanging toms. I've thought many times about converting them to floor toms but they sound so frikkin good that I'm afraid to. Besides, the're really no more trouble to set up than regular floors.
You will love those drums. I say go for it.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Delite set with 14 & 16 hanging toms. I've thought many times about converting them to floor toms but they sound so frikkin good that I'm afraid to. Besides, the're really no more trouble to set up than regular floors.
You will love those drums. I say go for it.
I had a kit with hanging floor toms for a while and I just couldn't stand it. I got sick of them slinking down while I'm playing no matter how hard I tensioned them, and the fact that I had to swing the cymbal stand a certain way for it to be stable enough to hold the drum.

I just figure the isolation mount will help out with positioning, and I won't be drilling it for legs, so if I were to sell it and someone wants to switch it back it'd be nice and easy.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own two sets of Delites, great drums, thin maple with re-rings is definitely the formula for me.

Having said that, avoid power sizes over a 22” Kick, hanging floor toms are on my list of things to also avoid, Sonor’s ball clamps slip especially at the 16” and if it is a virgin bass drum you are going to have challenges placing your toms without a rack.

5929733F-6670-47E3-BD7F-2D54D30DF418.jpeg

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
I own two sets of Delites, great drums, thin maple with re-rings is definitely the formula for me.

Having said that, avoid power sizes over a 22” Kick, hanging floor toms are on my list of things to also avoid, Sonor’s ball clamps slip especially at the 16” and if it is a virgin bass drum you are going to have challenges placing your toms without a rack.

View attachment 448574
nice kit...not to hijack but cool way to store your pies!!! nice

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I heard a kit like Nacci's at Manny's in the early 2000s. In fact, it was right next to a Tama B/B kit. Those Tamas sounded awesome, but the Delites were even better. I remember the attack of the toms being nearly insane. One day, I may pick up a square badge kit.

Dan

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I did it. The price I paid for these is obscene, truly the deal of the century. All I have at the moment are two crappy pictures, because my basement lighting is horrible. As noted before, I'm getting a suspension cradle for the floor tom, because floating floor toms can go to hell, and I'm going to throw some new heads on this in the next couple of days, including a nice front logo head that isn't black.

From just playing them for a few minutes they sound great. SUPER warm. The previous owner had the bass drum tuned surprisingly low, and it actually sounds great? Punchy and thicker than anticipated. I'll probably tune it up slightly though.

Anyways, here we are.

Sonor Delite - Cherry Birdseye
10"x12" Rack
12"x14" Floor
16"x18" Bass
5"x14" Snare

106142969_577488023140620_2869257828231075126_n.jpg
106139431_280275433179915_8274403340394384163_n.jpg

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aren't these shells what they call vintage maple today? Nice kit despite the short comings you mentioned. Never had the pleasure myself but also always heard great things about this series.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aren't these shells what they call vintage maple today? Nice kit despite the short comings you mentioned. Never had the pleasure myself but also always heard great things about this series.
That's correct, they're the vintage maple makeup.

I already ordered the iso cradle for the floor tom and a new front logo head for the bass drum. I'm going to put some ambassador X's on the toms in the next couple of days.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stunning kit even under that light. Congratulations. I have my Sonor floor tom same size as yours —formerly a hanger—in a cradle. It was the way to go for me and you will like it that way, I’ll wager.

Very stately finish, sir.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stunning kit even under that light. Congratulations. I have my Sonor floor tom same size as yours —formerly a hanger—in a cradle. It was the way to go for me and you will like it that way, I’ll wager.

Very stately finish, sir.
Thanks! It's funny, I have two very high end kits now both of which I got for essentially pennies on the dollar, and they both have finishes I don't care for, hah. It's the sound that matters though, I can deal with ugly finishes.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When you get tired of that ugly finish, let me know.

It reminds me of Dunhill Bruyere....

View attachment 448659
I'm just not a fan of figuring in wood. Give me a nice plain lacquer finish or something with sparkles. It looks a bit too much like furniture to me.

Let me know what you think of the bass drum behind the kit. I had the blue azure kit.
View attachment 448660
View attachment 448661
Will do! When I played it last night the kick sounded great, better than the toms, but that's probably due to the tuning and the heads. Right now it has Focus-X heads on the toms (which make them sound pretty dead) and a Force-1 on the kick. I'm switching out the Focus-X's for Ambassador X's, which seems to be the same head but without the muffling ring, but the kick head can stay, it seems like it's pretty much a Powerstroke 3.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, I did it. The price I paid for these is obscene, truly the deal of the century. All I have at the moment are two crappy pictures, because my basement lighting is horrible. As noted before, I'm getting a suspension cradle for the floor tom, because floating floor toms can go to hell, and I'm going to throw some new heads on this in the next couple of days, including a nice front logo head that isn't black.

From just playing them for a few minutes they sound great. SUPER warm. The previous owner had the bass drum tuned surprisingly low, and it actually sounds great? Punchy and thicker than anticipated. I'll probably tune it up slightly though.

Anyways, here we are.

Sonor Delite - Cherry Birdseye
10"x12" Rack
12"x14" Floor
16"x18" Bass
5"x14" Snare

View attachment 448620 View attachment 448621

I have the same era and color. I originally bought a 12/14 (hanger)/22 on eBay from a local "we'll sell it for you" place for under $800 because they got their shipping quote from Mailboxes Etc and were asking $400 to ship. From reading your post, I'm assuming you got a similar score. I had Pro Drums in Hollywood install legs on the hanging 12x14 tom. It works fine, but because there is less space between the bottom of the bracket and the bottom hoop, I cannot use memory locks on the legs due to there not being enough clearance.

Through subsequent eBay buys I added a matching 16x18 bass drum, a 17x20 bass drum, a 8x10 and an 8x8, and in another deal picked up 14x14, a 10x12, and a 9x10 (which I later sold). I have enough to make two complete kits, and for a while kept one where my band used to rehearse and the other at home. I usually play it as a four-piece, and haven't played the 22 in about seven years (and have yet to find much use for the 8 or even the 10!); still, these are my "desert island" drums and I will likely never sell them.

Congratulations, and welcome to the "family".