Thoughts on Sonor Delites? Edit: NEW KIT DAY

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the same era and color. I originally bought a 12/14 (hanger)/22 on eBay from a local "we'll sell it for you" place for under $800 because they got their shipping quote from Mailboxes Etc and were asking $400 to ship. From reading your post, I'm assuming you got a similar score. I had Pro Drums in Hollywood install legs on the hanging 12x14 tom. It works fine, but because there is less space between the bottom of the bracket and the bottom hoop, I cannot use memory locks on the legs due to there not being enough clearance.

Through subsequent eBay buys I added a matching 16x18 bass drum, a 17x20 bass drum, a 8x10 and an 8x8, and in another deal picked up 14x14, a 10x12, and a 9x10 (which I later sold). I have enough to make two complete kits, and for a while kept one where my band used to rehearse and the other at home. I usually play it as a four-piece, and haven't played the 22 in about seven years (and have yet to find much use for the 8 or even
So, the price I paid was less than half of the price you paid... So I think I made a solid purchase here, hah.

My other kit is a Noble & Cooley Classic Maple, 10/12/14/16/22, so I that'll cover the rock sizes for me. I'll probably just end up sticking with what I have on the Sonor, but never say never I suppose.

Like em a lot

Sure that's a 10x 12? Almost looks like a 9. Love the finish Just audacious Enough for Jazz !
DanRH you should have kept those)
Thank you! You could be right about the tom, actually. I thought they only offered a 10x12, but I just looked up a price list at Sonor Museum and it appears in 2003 (when this was made) they introduced a 9x12.

Also, the thing I haven't talked about on this kit yet is the snare. I was initially considering selling it to recoup the cost of the kit, but I don't think that's going to happen, this thing sounds killer! Super sensitive with a great crack to it, but still a good amount of warmth.

The initial idea for this kit was honestly to flip it for some decent money so my wife and I could add to our house saving funds, but after I got it and played it a little bit my wife said to me: "You're not going to sell that, are you." To which I replied: "proobbbbbabbly not."

Damnit.

Reactions: JDA

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Also, the thing I haven't talked about on this kit yet is the snare. I was initially considering selling it to recoup the cost of the kit, but I don't think that's going to happen, this thing sounds killer! Super sensitive with a great crack to it, but still a good amount of warmth.
You cannot go wrong with a German Sonor snare. They all sound superb.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You cannot go wrong with a German Sonor snare. They all sound superb.
Totally true! I briefly had a S-Class kit, and that snare was outstanding. It was unbelievably crisp. That was an amazing drum set, it just wasn't a great primary drum set for me. I mostly play in a rock band, and a 20/12/14 setup wasn't the best for that, despite the 14 being the best floor tom I've ever heard. 14" diameter x 16" depth. It was so huge sounding.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is sacrilege on my part, but at the moment, these might sound better than my Noble & Cooleys, the toms especially. The bass drum is about equal with the N&C. With an unported front head it has tons of boom to it. The 14" floor tom on this kit is magical though. Resonates for days.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matt your N&C kit is a CD Maples Kit , not Classic Maple . You must have been reading too many Ludwig posts on here

:):):)

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't get it; isn't Sonor the high standard by which other kits are judged? Good to hear the NC is keeping up.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't get it; isn't Sonor the high standard by which other kits are judged? Good to hear the NC is keeping up.
I feel like it's comparing a Rolls Royce to a Bentley, they're both impeccably crafted machines and you'd be happy to have either. It's baffling that I have these two kits and maybe have a grand total of $1200 into the two of them combined? Most of that $1200 is the amount I paid for the 16x16 tom for the N&C kit.

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had to make a choice between a DW Collectors maple kit and a Sonor Delite in Blue Azure like yours Senior when trading in a couple kits at a Toronto Drum Shop . In hindsight I made the wrong decision and picked the DW .
Aww, that's a bummer. Did the DW's stick around, or did you move on from them?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had one of those cradles for a hanging floor tom. (I think it was a generic off brand one.) It killed the sound of my drum. I installed legs and it was much better.
I had legs installed on my N&C drums because I could get Nick at N&C to do it, I was just concerned of doing it myself on the Sonor.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
I have quite a few Delites, all in Champaign, enough to make up 4 kits, depending on configs. I’ve always been a fan of thin shells with glue rings (prob’ly coz I’m old. Haha) and other than my rosewood ‘80’s Phonics, the Delites are my favorite Sonor stuff. And lord knows I’ve been lucky enough to have been able to own and play a whole bunch of it.

(Just my own opinion dontchaknow, worth every penny you paid for it.)

ETA - congrats to the OP for the new kit. Hope you like ‘em as well as I like mine.

Last edited:

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few Delites, all in Champaign, enough to make up 4 kits, depending on configs. I’ve always been a fan of thin shells with glue rings (prob’ly coz I’m old. Haha) and other than my rosewood ‘80’s Phonics, the Delites are my favorite Sonor stuff. And lord knows I’ve been lucky enough to have been able to own and play a whole bunch of it.

(Just my own opinion dontchaknow, worth every penny you paid for it.)

ETA - congrats to the OP for the new kit. Hope you like ‘em as well as I like mine.

Let's see them rosewood Phonics in a separate post

Latest posts