Thoughts on this 70s Ludwig Black Oyster?

Golluba

Reaction score
Found this 70s Ludwig kit online for $800 and it has been up for 4 months. Wondering why it hasn’t gone in a flash since that seems too good to be true. Does anyone think they’re fake maybe. I see the B&O badges have seen better days and the hoops and t clamps aren’t original. Any Ludwig guys can give any input? Thanks!

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Does the seller mention if they are three ply or not? The only thing throwing me off is the badge placement on the bass drum. back around 1980-81 Ludwig moved the badge on the bass drum to the player side so they could have room to put the new triangular modular mount they were making. The modular mount needed to be far forward or the toms would wouldn't fit. This caused Ludwig to move the badge and since they also kept using the mount like the one on this set you pictured, The mount was put at the players side for every set. I'm sorry to be so long winded but I also noticed the set has folding spurs from the 80's as well and I am wondering if this is a six ply set. The hoops are also wrong of course and a lot of six ply sets have wraps that have cracked and shrunk depending on which wrap it was. Colors like White marine, Black Diamond, Oyster Black and Oyster Blue from the 70's-80's were notorious for cracking. I would ask for more info and better pics.

Golluba

Reaction score
Hey, thank you so much for this detailed reply! The ad said 70s but it may be 80s like you said. If the wrap is in good shape would 800 +probably 100 for shipping still be a good buy? Thanks again for your reply and help, very much appreciated!!

Does the seller mention if they are three ply or not? The only thing throwing me off is the badge placement on the bass drum. back around 1980-81 Ludwig moved the badge on the bass drum to the player side so they could have room to put the new triangular modular mount they were making. The modular mount needed to be far forward or the toms would wouldn't fit. This caused Ludwig to move the badge and since they also kept using the mount like the one on this set you pictured, The mount was put at the players side for every set. I'm sorry to be so long winded but I also noticed the set has folding spurs from the 80's as well and I am wondering if this is a six ply set. The hoops are also wrong of course and a lot of six ply sets have wraps that have cracked and shrunk depending on which wrap it was. Colors like White marine, Black Diamond, Oyster Black and Oyster Blue from the 70's-80's were notorious for cracking. I would ask for more info and better pics.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
look about 350max to me 275 maybe
260 you'd be doing him a favor
by getting them out of his house)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
You’re saying because you think they’re completely knockoffs?
No. Because many details- spurs look messed with- and you don't know -till you get there- if other damage- water etc- has hit them..
There's a basic 'sound' set - Ludwig set it appears- in there but is it worth the work; versus waiting and buying new

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are Rocker lugs same spacing as Classic ?

Interior shots would tell the truth .

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you're probably safe on the basic drums as far as being Ludwigs, most likely 3 ply. The various details would make me leery about paying very much for them though. Could be a nice set with some work and some parts but I wouldn't pay a lot for them.

nylontip

Reaction score
The claws appear to be changed along with the top hoops on the toms (look like Rockers) and the metal bass hoops may be Rockers as well.

Last edited:

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree the spurs look funny. Otherwise coold be a good players' kit and hay, I'd be a total sucker for a players' kit! Agree it's best to request photos of the inside.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's the honest truth: it's a real Ludwig kit; it's been modified over the years, just as all genuine player's kits were modded due to breakage and wear; it's a high-mileage kit, plain and simple.

The reason it hasn't sold is because it is too expensive for today's market. We are in a depressed, incredibly-over-supplied used instrument market and prices are plummeting on everything except true collectors' rarities.

In today's market, this kit will strain to bring $400. In my local market, it would sell for $250.

GeeDeeEmm

Golluba

Reaction score
Here's the honest truth: it's a real Ludwig kit; it's been modified over the years, just as all genuine player's kits were modded due to breakage and wear; it's a high-mileage kit, plain and simple.

The reason it hasn't sold is because it is too expensive for today's market. We are in a depressed, incredibly-over-supplied used instrument market and prices are plummeting on everything except true collectors' rarities.

In today's market, this kit will strain to bring $400. In my local market, it would sell for $250.

GeeDeeEmm