Thoughts on this 70s Ludwig Black Oyster?

Golluba

Reaction score
Thank you (and everyone for their opinion and input). I am looking for a lower priced vintage Ludwig player kit as I am a touring musician. The high miles and non original parts don’t bother me at all as long as it’s legit Ludwig shells. I think I am going to request pics of the inside shells. The best way to determine if they’re luddys is by the date on the stamp (as long as it wasn’t painted over) I’m guessing

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you (and everyone for their opinion and input). I am looking for a lower priced vintage Ludwig player kit as I am a touring musician. The high miles and non original parts don’t bother me at all as long as it’s legit Ludwig shells. I think I am going to request pics of the inside shells. The best way to determine if they’re luddys is by the date on the stamp (as long as it wasn’t painted over) I’m guessing
Not all drums were date stamped and many that were are missing the ink stamp today (only takes one shot of windex or something similar and...gone forever). It's possible these were never date stamped anyhow as that stopped happening around 1971 or 72. However if you post pictures of the shell interiors we could likely tell you what they are. Frankly all evidence points to them being Ludwigs and almost certainly 3 ply (probably mahogany/poplar/maple shells as were nearly all of Ludwig's 3 ply production in the 70's). That looks to be an earlier example of the "Bowling Ball" version of Oyster Black Pearl (introduced around 1969) which hasn't been readily available since those days...meaning any sort of rewrap is unlikely. It's also a wrap that really only Ludwig used. Hence my earlier statement that you're probably safe as far as these being "real" Ludwig drums. Even if they did turn out to be Ludwig 6 ply drums there's nothing wrong with that as those were great sounding drums too.

The metal hoops and replacement claws/rods on the bass drum are not going to effect the sound in any significant way. The Pearl type spurs are, if anything, an upgrade as far as real world usage goes. As a "player" set you don't have much to lose, assuming it is priced accordingly. The only concerns would be to check out the shells for water damage or anything like that and check the edges (particularly on the reso sides) as it was popular to use drums without any reso heads for quite a number of years and sometimes drums that were not treated with care or hauled around without cases got those edges chewed up a bit (which can be fixed, but is another thing that would, or should, factor into the overall price).

You could certainly replace the incorrect parts if they bothered you, although only you and fellow drum geeks would ever know the difference. I would just leave the spurs be, assuming they work the way they are supposed to, as they are worlds better than either type Ludwig offered at that time.

All I can further offer is that if these were close to me, at the right price, and I was still working, I'd be tempted. Looks like the makings of a fun project.

My guess is that it is definitely a buyer's market right now so if you have the money to do so and this set trips your trigger then take advantage of that.

Golluba

Reaction score
Not all drums were date stamped and many that were are missing the ink stamp today (only takes one shot of windex or something similar and...gone forever). It's possible these were never date stamped anyhow as that stopped happening around 1971 or 72. However if you post pictures of the shell interiors we could likely tell you what they are. Frankly all evidence points to them being Ludwigs and almost certainly 3 ply (probably mahogany/poplar/maple shells as were nearly all of Ludwig's 3 ply production in the 70's). That looks to be an earlier example of the "Bowling Ball" version of Oyster Black Pearl (introduced around 1969) which hasn't been readily available since those days...meaning any sort of rewrap is unlikely. It's also a wrap that really only Ludwig used. Hence my earlier statement that you're probably safe as far as these being "real" Ludwig drums. Even if they did turn out to be Ludwig 6 ply drums there's nothing wrong with that as those were great sounding drums too.

The metal hoops and replacement claws/rods on the bass drum are not going to effect the sound in any significant way. The Pearl type spurs are, if anything, an upgrade as far as real world usage goes. As a "player" set you don't have much to lose, assuming it is priced accordingly. The only concerns would be to check out the shells for water damage or anything like that and check the edges (particularly on the reso sides) as it was popular to use drums without any reso heads for quite a number of years and sometimes drums that were not treated with care or hauled around without cases got those edges chewed up a bit (which can be fixed, but is another thing that would, or should, factor into the overall price).

You could certainly replace the incorrect parts if they bothered you, although only you and fellow drum geeks would ever know the difference. I would just leave the spurs be, assuming they work the way they are supposed to, as they are worlds better than either type Ludwig offered at that time.

All I can further offer is that if these were close to me, at the right price, and I was still working, I'd be tempted. Looks like the makings of a fun project.

My guess is that it is definitely a buyer's market right now so if you have the money to do so and this set trips your trigger then take advantage of that.
WOW thank you so much for this!!!!
Really appreciate the time and consideration everyone is putting on here... this being my first post I’m so glad to be part of this awesome community! Thank you!!