Thoughts regarding my ole Gretsch shellpack

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rob Cook appraised the four drums and tom holder only at $2200usd in 2010. Is $2000 usd out of touch with reality?

Has the market for what I have gone up or down since 2010 do you think?

I look on eBay but not convinced that's the best indicator. I'd rather folks weigh in here

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

Last edited:

Stretch Riedle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not a Gretsch expert, but any modifications especially to a bearing edge [even professionally done] would affect the selling price somewhat. I don't know what the current market value is for your gold sparkle kit, that would be determined by averaging out recent ebay and reverb sales.
Of course you can list the kit for what you want to get. If you want $4000, list it at that. If it doesn't sell then you know it's above current market value.

Stretch

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO, the "Sold" history on ebay is the best indicator for what various items are worth. Why? Because they have the largest audience in the world, consisting of every level of buyer, from amateurs to the best authorities on collectable items. It seems that only sellers like Steve Maxwell are able to command prices that are higher than the ebay averages.

GeeDeeEmm

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys. That's pretty well what I thought. As far as the bearing edges are concerned they weren't altered just slightly renewed keeping to the exact intentions. That's why Rob Cook didn't deduct anything in his appraisal.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those look like they are in really good shape.
Assuming everything is original, I'd ask the $2200 and take what I could get from there.
$2000 would be reasonable for the right buyer.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm seeing re-rings on the snare drum. Is that correct? I'm not aware of re-rings on Gretsch drums.

-Mark
Some late 40s to late 50s Gretsch 6.5 snare drums and 18" bass drums had re-rings.
https://reverb.com/item/6456744-1930-s-gretsch-gladstone-snare-drum-6-5-x14-w-3-way-tuning-system?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG118Mkq-ZlcHPL3n2komDkmmHC-sNHYs0XD4ZvH-k3D6uOwIYTWVEPkaAjOxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

(more specific info is available at DFO garnered over many many years....)
But I don't think you are seeing rings in OP's Gold Sparkles;

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some late 40s to late 50s Gretsch 6.5 snare drums and 18" bass drums had re-rings.
https://reverb.com/item/6456744-1930-s-gretsch-gladstone-snare-drum-6-5-x14-w-3-way-tuning-system?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1pblBRDSARIsACfUG118Mkq-ZlcHPL3n2komDkmmHC-sNHYs0XD4ZvH-k3D6uOwIYTWVEPkaAjOxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

(more specific info is available at DFO garnered over many many years....)
But I don't think you are seeing rings in OP's Gold Sparkles;
I believe you are correct! I think those lines around the inside of the shell, top and bottom, were playing tricks on me!

-Mark

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
completely within reasonable selling price. 3ply gretsch are hard to move these days. as you know i've been offering my 3ply factory custom progressive jazz set for quite a while now with very few inquiries.

good luck

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm seeing re-rings on the snare drum. Is that correct? I'm not aware of re-rings on Gretsch drums.

-Mark
Here's another One Mark just popped on ebay...factory Rings in a Gretsch 18

1953 16x18 ft