Three 20" Paiste Traditional Rides

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Enjoy. They all sound great to me. The medium and medium light are mint. no holes etc. the light is really beat up on edges. Someone used it in a rock setting as a large crash is my guess. But it gives it mojo and I think dries it out just right.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which one do you like guys?
Medium
Medium light
Light
All
None?

Love to hear your ears/thoughts ...of course realizing its a zoom video with no band.

I plan on making same video but with a play along recording in background...

Maybe different stick too.

I do like them all in their own way. And the trad/scdr thread has all three in organ trio..but its cell phone quality

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I had a listen through and I like all of them. Not helpful to my goal of having fewer cymbals. :glasses8:

There is more weight difference between your Medium (2262g) and Medium Light (2150g) compared to my Medium (2156g) and Medium Light (2162g). And your weight difference is in the expected direction. I know from my stats that the weight distributions for Medium and Medium Light overlap, as do the Thin and Light weight distributions. More than ever this convinces me that we need to consider more than just weight when searching for the sonic differences between models and individual cymbals. Although people may see me as Mr GramStat I've been arguing for a long time that we need to consider more than that (for all cymbals not just Paiste). In the same way people see me as Mr ZenStamp when I'm trying to move us beyond just considering trademarks. It's just that for me the way to get beyond weights and trademarks is to move on from them by documenting them properly first. I just haven't managed to get out the other end yet. :dontknow:

To my ears the Medium Light seems sweeter with more hights and the Medium a little darker with a clear stick. The Light Ride is another sound again. It reminds me of my 20" A Zildjian & Cie Vintage (1790g) which has the same sort of hollow tang to it. I don't think I can really describe it in words so I might have to dust off my old Zoom H4 and make some sound file comparisons.

When you strike them in order at the end it sounds like the Medium and the Light are about the same pitch, and the Medium Light is higher. That fits with my notion that the low weight of the Light gives a low pitch, and something different about the design of the Medium gives a low pitch, with the Medium Light being a bit higher.

This is all listening via Audio Technica ATH-M50 heaphones.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear a nice gradation from high to low with medium, med-light, light, just like you'd expect. These are all nice ones, I've heard much more gnarly Trads. These have some nice bell tones in the ride/crash sound (this is what I listen to when it comes to pitch, not lthe lows), some others I remember were all lows, and lots of it. I guess the tolerances are higher with Trads than say with 2002s.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Zen...Cool.

I think my favorite from watching the video is the medium light.

And its also my favorite from behind the kit..and feel wise...there is some "smoke " in there.

Now rivets would change everything on all of these.

Seb...yes. Ive had some trads that were...."off"....I like all of these in their own way.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They all sound great.

Not that I get called for many acoustic jazz gigs, but I've got a 20" medium light (two rivets) that has pretty much found a permanent residence as my left-side ride, paired with either a 602 or my (your old) SCDR on the right.

If I had that light ride, I'd be tempted to put the medium light in the main slot, and the light on the left side.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd rely on the medium for all purpose applications . Totally different listening from the front . I had a 20" light and had no idea it had that projection . Shoulda kept it .

What mic are you using for this video ? Well done and thanks .

TPC

Reaction score
Nice, TK.

I like the Medium best. The pitch.

Modern, heavily hammered Paistes seem to play a lot lighter than they really are. I have a 22xx g Trad Medium and a 22xx g BlueBird and both are plenty dry and quiet for small-room acoustic gigs.

You could go all Elvin - use all three and leave the SC at home. They sound good together!

Old Drummer

Reaction score
None leaps out at me as a cymbal I'd choose, though my ear may not be the most sophisticated, the recording is an issue, and I prefer to hear cymbals in a playing context rather than stand alone. However, if I were fixing to play a gig and had those three rides to choose from, I'd set up the medium. It seemed like it would handle most things the best, the medium light second best, and the light the worst.

I also heard what Zenstat says he heard, namely a similar pitch between the medium and the light. That surprised me, so I agree that something else besides weight is going on.

Although I didn't care for the cymbals, I appreciate the demo. It's fun to hear cymbal comparisons.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd rely on the medium for all purpose applications . Totally different listening from the front . I had a 20" light and had no idea it had that projection . Shoulda kept it .

What mic are you using for this video ? Well done and thanks .

ZoomH4

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Which one do you like guys?
Medium
Medium light
Light
All
None?

Love to hear your ears/thoughts ...of course realizing its a zoom video with no band.

I plan on making same video but with a play along recording in background...

Maybe different stick too.

I do like them all in their own way. And the trad/scdr thread has all three in organ trio..but its cell phone quality
Your light ride sounds similar to mine. Mine was drilled for 6 rivets though, so maybe the abuse yours received (in a prior life) may balance out the 6 holes in mine.
I like that Medium-Light Ride, too. Seems to be a similar flavour to the light ride, but with a little more presence and a stronger ping.
I would use that as my "all-purpose" ride, for sure.
The Medium ride came off too bright for my tastes, but the impression I'm getting is that the camera and mic you used may have added some brightness to the sound of all those cymbals.
I know my Light ride, while similar to yours, is much more expressive in real life.

Elvis

Latest posts