Reaction score
Three flat rides. Paiste 602 medium 18” 1767gr
Istanbul Mehmet Turk 22” (two rivets) 2476 gr
Bosphorus Masters Series 19” 1500 gr
Not For Sale

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
nice wood, sound b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ smoother rounder with maple ; )...
i'll take the bos'
isti crash sounds like the time I rear ended skippy criner's car coming out of the gas station; he stopped when I thought he was going)

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Woah..the Istanbul baby....smokey and dark....something I could imagine a cross between Bill Stewart and Jack DeJohnette using.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
nice wood, sound b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ smoother rounder with maple ; )...
i'll take the bos'
isti crash sounds like the time I rear ended skippy criner's car coming out of the gas station; he stopped when I thought he was going)
I disagree. I liked the Istanbul's crash the best. I didn't care for the Paiste's crash.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Want an opinion? I like the Paiste best. Imo you need a fully lathed surface and a certain weight to get most out of the flat ride anatomy. Play the clip along with some music that has horns, piano etc. and you will notice it's the only one with any real "ring". With the others, there are few highs, the lows will get lost in the mix,which leaves us with mostly the wood click of the stick.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My experience so far has been that the Istanbul is a real nice acoustic piano cymbal. It works in a quartet in a recital hall type setting (moderate reverberation). It may get lost if the horn is amplified and/or electric keyboards or guitar. It sounds nice with any horns or vibes if they are acoustic. The Bosphorus is great as a mellow addition in a piano trio. It works great behind bass solos. Either one can work for contrast but the texture has to be not overly dense. Im hoping the paiste will sit nicely in contrast with some of the bolder sounds Ive been experimenting with like the K Custom Special Dry Crash 22. It is very different from that. Or maybe it will pair with a 20” KCon light or some older K’s. I was also thinking it could work with just a crash and a single headed kit I’ve been assembling ala Airto with RTF. We shall see!

Latest posts