Three vintage kits - help me choose!

Philip Acinapuro

Reaction score
Personally, I would go with Ludwig for that tubbier sound, and Downbeat over Club Date just because I love the look of the single-sided lugs.

itsjjp

Reaction score
All good choices, my only advice is on sizes. I'm partial to 12-14-20 kits. 16x16 toms are a bear to tune for a nice tone. Making em thuddy and like a second kick is easy. 12 is key for a high tom sound. While quite different from the sets you've described, there's a terrific vintage Tama Superstar bop kit in the Super Mahogany finish out there that is within your budget. I'd be all over it if I was still in the market for a jazz kit.

LA Vintage

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first vintage kit. I love 20" kick drums so I'm focused on kits in that size, and I'm OK with a 14 or 16 floor tom. Looking to capture that 60's 3 ply vibe but I'm not brand loyal. I only have room in my life for one kit, so I'm hoping to invest in something I can keep and play for a long time. My budget is around $1800-2k for a three piece kit plus snare. Some options I have in front on me:

1) Mid 60's Club Date kit with a Pioneer snare

This is a super clean kit in a finish I really like. I think Club dates look and sound great. All the shells have close/matching date stamps, including the floor tom. Hoops have been repainted but otherwise looks original.

2) Mid 60's Downbeat with a Supraphonic

More expensive and not quite as clean, but still in really good condition. I feel these might hold value better than the Club dates, and they are undeniably cool.

3) Early 60's Rogers Holiday 3 ply transition kit with Holiday snare

Also in great shape, but the lugs on the snare were likely cracked and replaced with modern Rogers reproductions. Original Bread and Butter lugs on the rest of the kit seem to be in good shape. I think this is my favorite kit, but those Bread and Butter lugs make me really nervous. I want to be able to tune the drums up without getting jumpy every time. I know you can shore these up with epoxy / JB weld but I rather not go through that process.

Which would you choose! Or should I wait around for a better deal....
I put together a 60s Rogers Holiday - 20”, 16”, 12” with a Powertone snare for about that price. I love the sound and the durability. First Rogers kit I ever played - and I’m old.

bob meyer

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first vintage kit. I love 20" kick drums so I'm focused on kits in that size, and I'm OK with a 14 or 16 floor tom. Looking to capture that 60's 3 ply vibe but I'm not brand loyal. I only have room in my life for one kit, so I'm hoping to invest in something I can keep and play for a long time. My budget is around $1800-2k for a three piece kit plus snare. Some options I have in front on me:

This is a super clean kit in a finish I really like. I think Club dates look and sound great. All the shells have close/matching date stamps, including the floor tom. Hoops have been repainted but otherwise looks original.

More expensive and not quite as clean, but still in really good condition. I feel these might hold value better than the Club dates, and they are undeniably cool.

Also in great shape, but the lugs on the snare were likely cracked and replaced with modern Rogers reproductions. Original Bread and Butter lugs on the rest of the kit seem to be in good shape. I think this is my favorite kit, but those Bread and Butter lugs make me really nervous. I want to be able to tune the drums up without getting jumpy every time. I know you can shore these up with epoxy / JB weld but I rather not go through that process.

RODGERS from this era where the Cadillac of all drum brands. Despite the issues with the B&B lugs, the shells, the stainless steel rims, the craftsmanship, the pure, clear melodic sound and feel of these drums is unbeatable. Of all my vintage kits which include Gretsch round badge Slingerland Radio King etc. my 1960 Rogers holiday kit is my favorite.

Topbnanna

Reaction score

stay away from bread snd butter lugs. Rogers shells were great though.
holding value is not a concern.. my opinion.. sound is . Have you seen pictures of the interior of the shells snd bearing edges? Important.
make sure rerings have not separated from the shells anywhere!!

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Selling my vintage Ludwig set.
14x20 16x16 8x12 5x14 10lug Supra (unofficially catalogued and named the Super Beat)
Original blue sparkle not faded
Born together set that I got from my neighbor that he got when he was a kid from his parents.
Original stands and Extras included
Couldn't help but share.
Happy to give all the details a very cool one-off transition year late 60s early 70s set and yes 3-ply shells.
No Fades no mods no extra holes all the original parts and pieces and it never left the guy's house very very clean.

Attachments

poco rit.

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the party but ill chime in

Sometimes you can find B&B kits that the previous owner has already done the work of reinforcing the lugs. But you would be trusting the work of a gentleman whom you do not know. As others have said, you wanna get the Beavertail stuff, especially if you plan on gigging them.

Regarding piecing together orphans, i pieced my 13/16/22 Red Onyx kit from Ebay/Reverb. It took me about a year and a half to get the 3 drums in the era i wanted and with the wrap the same condition/color. I consider myself lucky that it only took that long. You will probably never piece together orphans of a WMP or Silver Sparkle kit, due to the fact that the fade can wildly vary. I once met up with a guy on Craiglist for a 13/16/22 WMP Cleveland kit and the wrap was seriously banana yellow. Holy grail drums. But i had to pass.

Anyways, good luck man. Let us know what you get.

Reaction score
I think any of the 3 would be awesome kits to own, but my vote =

Downbeat kit with Supraphonic (as long as no issues / it's in great shape).

Reason being that the Downbeat kit will hold value well and is just a classic setup, but more importantly if you don't have a Supraphonic, I think you should have one. Ironically, I actually prefer wooden snares a la jazz festivals and wood rogers dynasonics, but... if I'm purely objective, I definitely get more use out of the Supraphonic on recordings simply because it hits the sweet spot more... it's the most recorded snare for a reason. A staple in my mind.

But really you're not going to go wrong with either option :D Buy the one you feel has the most mojo :D haha... and just grab a supra separately or keep it in mind for later.

sternerp

Reaction score
I

I have a ‘64 Rogers Swingtime with 20” kick and a ‘68 Ludwig Hollywood with a 22” kick. I love both.

I’ve replaced the cracked B&B lugs on the floor tom with new Rogers snare lugs. To hide the unused sides, I moved the good vintage lugs to the bottom and the new ones on top, where the open side can’t be seen unless you’re on your knees.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many of you recommended the OP get the Rogers set with the brass lugs. I've seen those lugs crack right off the set. And nobody is making repro tom or bass lugs.

Monday317

Reaction score

IMHO, one ought to simply buy drums to play, not invest in. Sets can be easily devalued, simply by dropping one, or an unfortunate water leak. Unless you insure them, you could be out whatever you invested.

Your first option sounds best; a vintage

3) Early 60's Rogers Holiday 3 ply transition kit

IMHO, investing in drums for financial reasons is a bad idea: unless you spend a bit to insure them, an accidental drop on the ground or wetting can ruin the investment.

All your options seem sound. The Club Date kit seems to have the minimum PITA factor.

The Downbeat kit with the Supra would be my own choice since you’ll also be getting a great snare.

In my experience, the Rogers kit would be the best sounding kit if that is your primary requirement. You can get replacement lugs on eBay, which should help with your snare concerns if you are certain the shell and hoops aren't damaged.

I would decide and pull the trigger on a kit sooner than later. You may find a better kit later or may kick yourself for letting a good option get away. A bird in the hand, as the saying goes...

Good luck! Let us know how things worked out.

tarocco

Reaction score
Selling my vintage Ludwig set.
14x20 16x16 8x12 5x14 10lug Supra (unofficially catalogued and named the Super Beat)
Original blue sparkle not faded
Born together set that I got from my neighbor that he got when he was a kid from his parents.
Original stands and Extras included
Couldn't help but share.
Happy to give all the details a very cool one-off transition year late 60s early 70s set and yes 3-ply shells.
No Fades no mods no extra holes all the original parts and pieces and it never left the guy's house very very clean.
This is a lovely kit. I've found a Rogers set that works for me (more soon....) but if I was going Ludwig it would be hard to beat this. I keep coming back to leer at it, so nice!

hatandbeard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a lovely kit. I've found a Rogers set that works for me (more soon....) but if I was going Ludwig it would be hard to beat this. I keep coming back to leer at it, so I appreciate you and everyone here big time good luck to you :) :)

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
If you were close to Chicago there’s some killer vintage kits on Craigslist I live 4/5 away from there but always looking